Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Not a done deal yet. The sole source of all the claims that Cole has been hired (Hondo Carpenter) is not reliable. No independent confirmation yet.

Comment

Come on down Mel...
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Well, Red is retiring. Now we wait to see who the next coach will be.

A little catch up responses to earlier posts:

Michigan finished 25-8-5 in the 2015-2016 season, with a conference tourney title and 1 win shy of a frozen four appearance. Not exactly shambles that season. They lost the top line and top defensive pair early after that season. 2016-2017 was going to be a rebuilding year.
        Top talent (USNTDP guys) come in and play for a year or two then go pro. You want to recruit the top guys, but you then have to play a guessing game as to how many spots you'll have to recruit for each year, not knowing who will leave early.

The other part to the first one is that there wasn't an open head coaching position at Michigan.

Not scared, just not profitable. As much as I hate it (I love to go on away trips to new rinks following my team), Michigan hockey does schedule like football....mostly home games. Money is the reason. Much more revenue to be made at home.
        So you were right. I should never play poker...

I agree that I don't understand why people think this program is in shambles. Of the team this year, there are 5 guys in the NHL that could have been here. Not exactly shambles or poor recruiting. Just bad timing on getting people in. Or it could have been a season long distraction this year- it's not as if the team had no idea what was going on.

Time to recall all the great things that Red did for Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          So it is true... Michigan fans will read anything you put on the teleprompter.
          Your input is so darned important here. Thanks for caring so much.

Although, I'd bet Mel would rather you spend your efforts on YOUR team. But, hey, whatever works for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            He's very young but Michigan doesn't have to look far south to find one of the top young college coaches in the game in Adam Krug at Adrian....
            If you're thinking the D-3 route, the first call is to Coghlin at SNC.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Wonder if Red talked with anyone last night at the Joe about a job. He was one of many celebrating the last game at the Joe, too.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                So you were right. I should never play poker...

I agree that I don't understand why people think this program is in shambles. Of the team this year, there are 5 guys in the NHL that could have been here. Not exactly shambles or poor recruiting. Just bad timing on getting people in. Or it could have been a season long distraction this year- it's not as if the team had no idea what was going on.

Time to recall all the great things that Red did for Michigan.
                I think a coach today has to double think about recruiting great talent, if you only have them a year, are you better off with someone who has less talent, but stays 3 or 4? Clearly, some very successful teams lately have chosen the second path.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                  Come on down Mel...
                  No contact very happy

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSipple/sta...22229028433920

Comment

I'm genuinely sorry to see Red go. He was respected immensely and I can't think of a more significant coaching retirement since Bo.
                    It just wont be the same not seeing him behind Michigan's bench.
                    The next question is will this signal a temporary decline or a marked improvement in the Michigan program as a new coach takes the reins and a new era begins?

Comment

I would expect Michigan to be better next year than they were this year. It was a one year decline IMO. always gonna get talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        I think a coach today has to double think about recruiting great talent, if you only have them a year, are you better off with someone who has less talent, but stays 3 or 4? Clearly, some very successful teams lately have chosen the second path.
                        You are right, but look at the impact Jack Eickel has had on BU- they were down for many years, and now they are back- so if done right, a one and done can have a big impact on a program.

(of course, the opposite at DU was this year, and they were clearly the top of the field for both weekends)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          You are right, but look at the impact Jack Eickel has had on BU- they were down for many years, and now they are back- so if done right, a one and done can have a big impact on a program.

(of course, the opposite at DU was this year, and they were clearly the top of the field for both weekends)
                          Yes, you have to take great talent, but BU just lost 3 to early departures, and they all have to be replaced. A fine line.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Secure the Hughes brothers, funny you bring up "Eickel" when they have had about 10 1st rounders in the Dave Quinn era in a short amount of time. They have grade A facilities and hired a coach they knew would make an immediate impact in Quinn, for as long as he is there, they will enjoy success. That brings me back to the Hughes brothers, talent attracts talent and when some of these high profile kids commit it starts a chain reaction and others will follow to try and create something great.
                            Last edited by techtodenver; 04-10-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              I'm genuinely sorry to see Red go. He was respected immensely and I can't think of a more significant coaching retirement since Bo.
                              It just wont be the same not seeing him behind Michigan's bench.
                              The next question is will this signal a temporary decline or a marked improvement in the Michigan program as a new coach takes the reins and a new era begins?
                              The talent is there to come in and win. Especially with the class coming in.
                              ---
                              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                              19 Conference Championships
                              10 Conference Tournament Championships
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                                Football: 3 way tie for 4th overall. Basketball 5th. Hockey 5th. Original Blimpy Burger gone. Why would anyone want to go to Ann Arbor? Kid Rock sang, "It ain't bragging m*********** if you can back it up." You can't back it up. You'll never need to wonder why there are so many Michigan haters out there.
                                Kid Rock automatically negates your argument. OSU finished near dead last in basketball and hockey had a nice slide towards the cellar with us and sparty at the end of the season. Football cheats, so **** that.

Comment

Working...
                                X