Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Good news! We didn't lose hockey games last weekend. We didn't play any games either.

aOSU comes to town this weekend. Friday's game is at 8 pm.
    I'm not used to hoping for a split and feeling I'm being optimistic. That's where I am with this year's team though.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

We will miss Friday due to other commitments.

But it will be interesting to see if there has been any progress or changes. Given how well they played at the beginning of the season (relative to now), it's odd.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        We will miss Friday due to other commitments.

But it will be interesting to see if there has been any progress or changes. Given how well they played at the beginning of the season (relative to now), it's odd.
        Kile and Cutler got sat and the team responded for about 40 minutes. Good thing OSU didn't show up at the same time. Third period was a disaster and FTR Joshua is a doooooshbg.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Kile and Cutler got sat and the team responded for about 40 minutes. Good thing OSU didn't show up at the same time. Third period was a disaster and FTR Joshua is a doooooshbg.
          Saw the replay- wow, those first two goals in the third were weak.

So if we can just keep getting more than 40 min out of them- well, maybe we can pull out of the brink. I don't see an at large bid, but we will see.

Comment

Saw the replay- wow, those first two goals in the third were weak.

So if we can just keep getting more than 40 min out of them- well, maybe we can pull out of the brink. I don't see an at large bid, but we will see.
            OSU was awful the first two periods, I think they had 15 SOG thru two and looked like they just came in from five timezones. I saw more junp and "want" from our guys, winning faceoffs, battles etc. but they are still prone to defensive zone lapses and gaffes. OSU came out in the 3rd like the team I though they were and put us back on our heels. The first two goals in the 3rd were brutal and LaVigne was lucky to survive it.

Of course some OSU fans are woofing about the play where the puck bounced off the glass onto his back and Boka came in and swiped it off his back. I think the official blew it dead before that, but it could have been called a penalty depending on how the gong show saw it. (This weekend we are graced with Aaron and Kronforst, the Big's version of Sergott back in CCHA days.) They didn't call a potential penalty shot on a Lockwood breakaway in the 2nd period after we were up 5-1- and OSU scored early in the third on that same penalty kill. Red was jawing with Kronforst about it on his way to the locker room between 2nd and 3rd periods.

One thing is for sure, both teams benefited on the PP. Gotta stay out of the box.

Michigan was gassed the last 6 minutes, but hung on. Joshua took a penalty in the last 1:30 and then jawed too much and got run. Hope he keeps it up, the refs have their rabbit ears on.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              OSU was awful the first two periods, I think they had 15 SOG thru two and looked like they just came in from five timezones. I saw more junp and "want" from our guys, winning faceoffs, battles etc. but they are still prone to defensive zone lapses and gaffes. OSU came out in the 3rd like the team I though they were and put us back on our heels. The first two goals in the 3rd were brutal and LaVigne was lucky to survive it.

Of course some OSU fans are woofing about the play where the puck bounced off the glass onto his back and Boka came in and swiped it off his back. I think the official blew it dead before that, but it could have been called a penalty depending on how the gong show saw it. (This weekend we are graced with Aaron and Kronforst, the Big's version of Sergott back in CCHA days.) They didn't call a potential penalty shot on a Lockwood breakaway in the 2nd period after we were up 5-1- and OSU scored early in the third on that same penalty kill. Red was jawing with Kronforst about it on his way to the locker room between 2nd and 3rd periods.

One thing is for sure, both teams benefited on the PP. Gotta stay out of the box.

Michigan was gassed the last 6 minutes, but hung on. Joshua took a penalty in the last 1:30 and then jawed too much and got run. Hope he keeps it up, the refs have their rabbit ears on.
              Yea your right the play was blown dead just before it was thrown off the back of the goalie. Those two clowns that dressed as refs are probably the worst in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                Yea your right the play was blown dead just before it was thrown off the back of the goalie. Those two clowns that dressed as refs are probably the worst in the league.
                Yeah, I meant to say Wilkins and Sergott who were notoriously bad in the CCHA with Aaron right behind them.

Comment

Just went back and watched the play it was on his back and the ref just blew the whistle before he closed his hand and threw the puck so good no call on that one.

Comment

The only positive in this season. We're not michigan state...
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Why are we so pathetic this year?
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        A better question is- why did we start the season looking like they could play hockey, and then become so pathetic.

Comment

A better question is- why did we start the season looking like they could play hockey, and then become so pathetic.
                          I am a 20 year season ticket holder, and I have to say that the two home games against MSU this year were the worst two performances I have seen in possibly all 20 years of going to games. Taking nothing away from MSU, they outplayed, out worked, out physicalled, and took it to UM both games.

It is one thing to lose, this team is clearly not that talented, and, IMO, have limited leadership from both the coaching staff and the upperclassmen. I do not mind simply getting beat, especially by better teams.

However, and again, taking nothing away from MSU, they earned it tonight, just like earlier in January, but it is tough to take when UM seems like they are simply in a fog, and it looked to me, like the Spartans wanted it so much more then UM.

They won most every loose puck battle, won the battles along the boards, skated harder, shot it at the right times, and clearly overmatched the Wolverines.

As a long time ticket holder, I am embarrassed this year to watch this team some nights. Last weekend against OSU was some excellent hockey, two good fast paced games. But then, they come out against their biggest hockey rival, after playing a tough even game the night before, and deliver that performance.

That is totally unacceptable in my book. I will never boo the team, but man it was frustrating to watch the lackadaisical attitude of the team again tonight.

Something needs to change in the program, there seems to be more and more nights like tonight.
                          Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

#1--No Mel Pearson, who's value to the program was always understated.

#2--Red still thinks he's in the CCHA, where his only competition in recruiting is Miami, Notre Dame and MSU and OHL teams. Red has not adjusted to life post realignment. Recruiting pipelines have changed. Also, Red is OLD. He simply doesn't have it anymore to recruit the players necessary to win in the Big 14. He used to be able to recruit blue chippers with his country club atmosphere. Now there are many, many other programs to compete against. UM is no longer the big cheese.

Sucks to be you. Keep ducking the other in-state schools.
                            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

A better question is- why did we start the season looking like they could play hockey
                              Here's the thing: they didn't.
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

The only positive in this season. We're not michigan state...
                                Except you're MSU's little brother. UM logic, it's impeccable.
                                CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Working...
                                X