Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 644

Thread: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

  1. #181
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    850

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Really sad that a team I have socks older than has already bypassed Michigan. That was just pathetic and expected.

    Red isn't even coaching this team. Wiseman is. He has been for years now. Just look at what's going on every time they show the bench.

    Too bad they can't assign the losses to Wiseman so it's not anchoring Red's win percentage down.
    WELCOME BACK HOME, COACH PEARSON!!
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee on MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  2. #182
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,055

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    This team is REALLY young. And talking to the players, they still like and respect Red.

    I think that they talent is just too young and raw. Considering some of the "coulda" players that could be here, now- Red is still pretty awesome at getting players. They are just not here anymore.

  3. #183
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    This team is REALLY young. And talking to the players, they still like and respect Red.

    I think that they talent is just too young and raw. Considering some of the "coulda" players that could be here, now- Red is still pretty awesome at getting players. They are just not here anymore.
    There's just too many young players.

    This is 2014-15 Wisconsin. Can't even get shots.

    I wish college hockey would implement baseball rules where you have to stay at least 3 years if you're gonna play college.

  4. #184
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,402

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    The talent is there - still (or again). I only saw the first period Thursday night, but from my observation there is quickness to the puck and good fundamentals. Young team with much more solid coaching than, say, an equally young team an hour away. And PSU = behemoths on skates.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    The talent is there - still (or again). I only saw the first period Thursday night, but from my observation there is quickness to the puck and good fundamentals. Young team with much more solid coaching than, say, an equally young team an hour away. And PSU = behemoths on skates.
    They aren't consistent. They'll be great for a period but then 'loaf for the rest of the game. These losses may actually be a blessing in disguise, but will they teach the kids to step it up for the entire game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7
    and the morale in east landfill is high:

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    We've started to call him Tom Asbestos.

    - increasingly poisonous after continued exposure
    - resistance to fire/firing
    - expensive to remove
    - everybody knows you eventually have to get rid of it no matter what the cost or availability of replacement

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    There's just too many young players.

    This is 2014-15 Wisconsin. Can't even get shots.

    I wish college hockey would implement baseball rules where you have to stay at least 3 years if you're gonna play college.
    You mean football right? Baseball doesn't require you staying, but you can be re-drafted after 3 years (I think). I know that some players were re-drafted but I think that may be because they were drafted in High School? I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7
    and the morale in east landfill is high:

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    We've started to call him Tom Asbestos.

    - increasingly poisonous after continued exposure
    - resistance to fire/firing
    - expensive to remove
    - everybody knows you eventually have to get rid of it no matter what the cost or availability of replacement

  7. #187
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    8,766

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    There's just too many young players.

    This is 2014-15 Wisconsin. Can't even get shots.

    I wish college hockey would implement baseball rules where you have to stay at least 3 years if you're gonna play college.
    If college were to implement a rule such as that we might lose more talent to other hockey leagues, like the goalie recruit that went to the OHL.

    I look at players like Dylan Larkin and wish he were at UM for his junior year, but see how well he is doing in the NHL, he made the right choice for himself.

    I'm happy to see top notch players on Michigan's team, even if it's only for a year or two. I'd rather have them for a short time than not at all. The biggest issue with top talent leaving early is trying to recruit for an unknown number of spots.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Red isn't even coaching this team. Wiseman is. He has been for years now. Just look at what's going on every time they show the bench.
    My season tickets are on the glass directly across the ice from the bench. I don't have to wait for the camera. What you said has been painfully obvious for several years.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    If college were to implement a rule such as that we might lose more talent to other hockey leagues, like the goalie recruit that went to the OHL.
    Which one? There have been several.


    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I'm happy to see top notch players on Michigan's team, even if it's only for a year or two. I'd rather have them for a short time than not at all.
    I concur. I'd rather have them "one and done" than not at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    The biggest issue with top talent leaving early is trying to recruit for an unknown number of spots.
    Again I agree 100%
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by UMICH View Post
    They aren't consistent. They'll be great for a period but then 'loaf for the rest of the game.
    THAT is the most frustrating part.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    HERE is a Jed Ortmeyer story I would be absolutely SHOCKED if more than one or two of you have heard.
    I have had season tickets for about 25 years and think of Jed as perhaps the BEST captain we have had during that period. When he was captain the team played all out for the entire game. He did not let them give anything less than 100%. God how I wish we had someone like him again.

    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jed...ud%20Die%20For
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  12. #192
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    850

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Disgraceful. Alex Kile is like making Guptill a captain when he was here. Taking cheap shots, taking boarding penalties and getting ejected, getting suspended for off-ice issues.

    The disturbing things going on have nothing to do with the score tonight and everything to do with the culture and body language out there. There are guys (even Lavigne) gooning it up because they can't generate shots on goal much less score goals. Lest we forget about the new tradition of screwing the goalies over and giving them zero help. Nagelvoort doesn't deserve this and is doing pretty well all things considered.

    Never thought I'd see it come to this. Red does not deserve this. Michigan Hockey does not deserve this.
    Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 12-09-2016 at 09:44 PM.

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    258

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    We(MSU and UM) might be in for some very competitive games this year!

  14. #194
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    We(MSU and UM) might be in for some very competitive games this year!
    Judging by the goonage going on, it may be a game of Virtua Fighter.

    Round one at the GLI 3rd Place Game

  15. #195
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,106

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    If it's any consolation: that was some GREAT puck movement leading into your opening goals.

  16. #196
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,055

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    If it's any consolation: that was some GREAT puck movement leading into your opening goals.
    Barely. They looked good in the first, decent in the third, but horrific in the second. 5 goals in one period? What's going on?

  17. #197
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeZ View Post
    HERE is a Jed Ortmeyer story I would be absolutely SHOCKED if more than one or two of you have heard.
    I have had season tickets for about 25 years and think of Jed as perhaps the BEST captain we have had during that period. When he was captain the team played all out for the entire game. He did not let them give anything less than 100%. God how I wish we had someone like him again.

    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jed...ud%20Die%20For
    Thanks for posting this Joe. Jed was one of our best Captains ever.

  18. #198
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Barely. They looked good in the first, decent in the third, but horrific in the second. 5 goals in one period? What's going on?
    Wheels are falling off fast. Sad to see Red go out like this, but I put this on the system that Wiseman is running. Pond shinny hockey, no defensive emphasis. The rookies look lost out there and the leadership has melted down. Doesn't make sense to have a guy not even dressing that is wearing a letter on his sweater.

    I'm glad that nothing developed in the third period. Wisconsin was yapping pretty good, had reason to after the 2nd period, but geez, get some character, guys.

  19. #199
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Wisconsin was yapping pretty good, had reason to after the 2nd period, but geez, get some character, guys.
    LOL. A UM fan whining about another team yapping? The irony is OVERWHELMING.

  20. #200
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Disgraceful. Alex Kile is like making Guptill a captain when he was here. Taking cheap shots, taking boarding penalties and getting ejected, getting suspended for off-ice issues.

    The disturbing things going on have nothing to do with the score tonight and everything to do with the culture and body language out there. There are guys (even Lavigne) gooning it up because they can't generate shots on goal much less score goals. Lest we forget about the new tradition of screwing the goalies over and giving them zero help. Nagelvoort doesn't deserve this and is doing pretty well all things considered.

    Never thought I'd see it come to this. Red does not deserve this. Michigan Hockey does not deserve this.
    You got it backward. You DO deserve this. You are getting exactly what you deserve.

    Red has been running a country club for years. Unfortunately for Red the recruiting has fallen off as he's aged. He's no longer able to recruit the blue chippers who traditionally have been able to mask his flaws of poor defense, cheap shots and lack of hustle. So that's why they're getting blown out of games. As a fan of a former CCHA rival, I am LOVING THIS.

    The only question remaining is how long will UM allow Red to sink the ship? Will you let him come back for yet another disaster of a season? Or do you gently push him out the door before the team finishes last in the Big 14? God I would love a last place UM finish. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    Last edited by Dirty Dream No. 2; 12-10-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •