Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

I de-lurked to respond to the coaching hire rumor thread (my original thinking turns out to have been predicted in this thread some time earlier) so I thought I'd make my annual contribution to a Michigan thread here.

Obviously a disheartening season, but I think there are some positives to take away. And, foremost to me, is the positive that Michigan still has a solid hockey fanbase. In late-season games when a hopeless team is playing out the string there are still a lot of fans making a lot of noise in the seats.

One might argue that the noise isn't as impressive as it used to be, and as someone who has attended two games at Yost since I left in 2005, I am not a good judge of that. But I can say that it's still a brilliant place that destroys the atmospheres I see out here in Minnesota. They've got good arenas out here, but Michigan continues to have a fanbase that is loyal, smart, and attached to the program, even as it reaches its darkest moments in 30 years. Red should retire, and when he does he can hold his head high knowing that he has built something with staying power.

Appreciate you guys who have kept the flame burning here all these years. /lurk
    Jesus Saves

Comment

Based on the season, I guess I should not be shocked how that game played out.

But based on the last two weeks, that's a tough way to see the season end. So many mistakes in the first period- Nags cheating on the first goal, Sanchez letting a 3-3 become a 3-2, and I'm not sure who messed up on that 3rd goal. This team just can't make that up.

Lots of expectations that Red will retire- we will see on April 2 at the Dekers banquet.

I feel bad for Zach- it seemed as if he'd found a great groove to finish the season. Oh well...

Comment

I feel for you, alfablue, knowing full well that bad times can and do happen to every team, including my beloved Gophers. We just need to enjoy and truly appreciate the good times when they come, and do our best to remain supportive and optimistic when our team is struggling through the inevitable (but hopefully infrequent) down years.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...eavyweight.php

They are still "pretending" like they don't know but we know the real story...
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I feel for you, alfablue, knowing full well that bad times can and do happen to every team, including my beloved Gophers. We just need to enjoy and truly appreciate the good times when they come, and do our best to remain supportive and optimistic when our team is struggling through the inevitable (but hopefully infrequent) down years.
            Thanks, but as we all know, it's inevitable that a team will have a down season.

Where it's "harder" for us- this was the first season we put real effort into knowing some of the players. Which is really funny- when the played badly in the past- it was easy to be mad at them. But when you know them personally, and know what kind of people they really are (including the parents) that can't happen anymore.

Funny that the one game we stayed after to talk to the players was after one of our worst losses.... Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...eavyweight.php

They are still "pretending" like they don't know but we know the real story...
              My gut tells me that the Deker's Banquet is something to be seen.

Comment

I'm wondering what the average Michigan hockey fan feels about Berenson staying or leaving. On the one hand, he is legendary coach and has run a remarkably clean program. There are a ton of reasons he is universally respected in this sport and why wouldn't you want him behind your bench? But on the other hand, do people think the game has changed enough that his ability to put an NCAA champion level school on the ice is a thing of the past? And would 2 or 3 more seasons of losing records begin to chip away at Michigan's ability to land NHL-caliber recruits up and down the roster? Anastos has destroyed MSU hockey and it isn't hard to envision a scenario where Michigan keeps an ineffective coach for too long and it does long term damage to their ability to recruit. Especially if the replacement struggles for a few years. The sports world is not as patient (stupidly so) as it was in the 1980s when Red was hired. Can you imagine if the "win now" mentality had existed then? I would guess the next few weeks will be both interesting and tiring for UM hockey fans.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  I'm wondering what the average Michigan hockey fan feels about Berenson staying or leaving. On the one hand, he is legendary coach and has run a remarkably clean program. There are a ton of reasons he is universally respected in this sport and why wouldn't you want him behind your bench? But on the other hand, do people think the game has changed enough that his ability to put an NCAA champion level school on the ice is a thing of the past? And would 2 or 3 more seasons of losing records begin to chip away at Michigan's ability to land NHL-caliber recruits up and down the roster? Anastos has destroyed MSU hockey and it isn't hard to envision a scenario where Michigan keeps an ineffective coach for too long and it does long term damage to their ability to recruit. Especially if the replacement struggles for a few years. The sports world is not as patient (stupidly so) as it was in the 1980s when Red was hired. Can you imagine if the "win now" mentality had existed then? I would guess the next few weeks will be both interesting and tiring for UM hockey fans.
                  IMHO, most will be happy to see him go based on the last 5 or so seasons.

He still recruits well- which is basically the cause of the major drop off this season. But he admitted in an interview with the school paper that he's now telling the recruits that he's not likely to be their coach. And I'm sure that will have an impact.

The hard part- the method of teaching his system does not seem to sink in very well. It took way too long this season for the team to really buy into it.

Still- if you look at who is starting in the NHL that could have been on our roster this year, well.... He still attracts big talent.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    My gut tells me that the Deker's Banquet is something to be seen.
                    Yea, from everything that I've heard that will be emotional. I mean it's all but signed and announced who our new Head Coach will be? Looking at Coach Berenson behind the bench this year he WAS NOT having fun. Years ago I saw an interview with him and was asked, "When will you step-down?" Coach's answer, "When it stops being fun."
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I agree with alfa, most Michigan Hockey fans have no issue with Coach Berenson leaving (several are wondering why it took so long). The WOTS is that the replacement is already on-board (just not officially yet). I think that the hockey fanbase will give him at least 4 years, probably longer. This isn't football. However I don't think that it will take that long depending on recruits coming to Michigan for next season. Other than this coming season I don't see a drop in recruiting.

Something that I haven't heard are the Assistant Coaches. I'm curious if a lot of them will be back next year? I'm guessing yes, both for the sake of continuity and they have known each other for years. It isn't like he's totally new to the program. A lot of the current players have played for him before, that's always beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Based on the season, I guess I should not be shocked how that game played out.

But based on the last two weeks, that's a tough way to see the season end. So many mistakes in the first period- Nags cheating on the first goal, Sanchez letting a 3-3 become a 3-2, and I'm not sure who messed up on that 3rd goal. This team just can't make that up.

Lots of expectations that Red will retire- we will see on April 2 at the Dekers banquet.

I feel bad for Zach- it seemed as if he'd found a great groove to finish the season. Oh well...
                        Sorry I missed saying goodbye to you and the wife at the last home game.

I usually attend the Dekers banquet, but will miss out for the 2nd year in a row due to a family commitment. I fully expect Red to announce his retirement, depending on whether the basketball team makes it to the FF. I think Red was honest about not meeting with Manuel until after the basketball (and Frozen Four) season as to not distract from their success.

He summed it up best when he said that the team and coaches worked hard, but did not have enough to make up for the continual mistakes and talent loss. I think the young guys make a good nucleus, but it is obvious that our young guys aren't as talented as the kids that Minnesota and Penn State brought in... and that is on recruiting. Also, you see the impact of teams that do buy into a system- Penn State, Wisconsin come to mind.

I wish Berenson well, but I wished he had stepped down after last season- but he had a large class coming in and felt it best to mentor them.

Comment

Appreciate the responses about Red from you longtime UM USCHO posters. It will be weird to think of a Michigan bench without him behind it. After Notre Dame rejoined the CCHA in 1992 I remember the first time UM came to South Bend and seeing Red sitting in the stands watching the skatearound. He had yet to win those titles and in fact was only a couple seasons into the long NCAA tournament streak, yet he already seemed legendary. He was incredibly gracious and commented about how he'd love to see a strong Notre Dame because Notre Dame and Michigan could have a hockey rivalry that echoed that of the two football teams. His comments reminded me of how the relationship between the two schools was when Don Canham and Moose Krause were the respective ADs. Of course in those days he could be gracious because the hockey team often seemed to amass score totals that looked more like something a football team put up! College hockey has always been very different from football and basketball (in good ways) and it was in large part because of coaches like Red Berenson. The sport has changed to more closely resemble the big $$$ sports and that makes it a little less enjoyable. I suppose Red's career nearing an end is just another one of those changes. A change that probably isn't going to make the sport any better, even if it does improve Michigan's fortunes on the ice somewhat. Whatever he does, I wish him the best.

Comment

Appreciate the responses about Red from you longtime UM USCHO posters. It will be weird to think of a Michigan bench without him behind it. After Notre Dame rejoined the CCHA in 1992 I remember the first time UM came to South Bend and seeing Red sitting in the stands watching the skatearound. He had yet to win those titles and in fact was only a couple seasons into the long NCAA tournament streak, yet he already seemed legendary. He was incredibly gracious and commented about how he'd love to see a strong Notre Dame because Notre Dame and Michigan could have a hockey rivalry that echoed that of the two football teams. His comments reminded me of how the relationship between the two schools was when Don Canham and Moose Krause were the respective ADs. Of course in those days he could be gracious because the hockey team often seemed to amass score totals that looked more like something a football team put up! College hockey has always been very different from football and basketball (in good ways) and it was in large part because of coaches like Red Berenson. The sport has changed to more closely resemble the big $$$ sports and that makes it a little less enjoyable. I suppose Red's career nearing an end is just another one of those changes. A change that probably isn't going to make the sport any better, even if it does improve Michigan's fortunes on the ice somewhat. Whatever he does, I wish him the best.
                            Very kind and classy remarks. Thank you from a poster that has basically been on USCHO from the inception and has been a season ticket holder since 1995- about a 11 year hiatus from graduation. I was actually a sophomore when Red started behind the bench and was newly married. I have had the pleasure of watching his high flying teams, taken pictures with two NC trophies, two Hobey Baker awardees and of course, with the coach. It is sad how times change and, like our own skills, a coaching career erodes to those changing times. Red still is admired and respected by the hundreds of players he coached, mentored and encouraged to get their education. He is not only an icon, he was a life coach for many people inside and outside the program. Yes, he was a solid x's and o's hockey coach with terrific W-L record, but his biggest accomplishment is how he left his indelible mark on players, fans, coaches and the entire scope of college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              Red still is admired and respected by the hundreds of players he coached, mentored and encouraged to get their education.
                              One of the things I love most about Red is that he is honestly just as proud of his players that became doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, etc as he is of the ones who went on to careers in the NHL. A terrific hockey coach but all about education.
                              The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

So, uh, Tom left at State, and Danton has offered to help find a new coach up there.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X