Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    WOSS (Word On State Street) is that this is Coach Berenson's last year although we knew that. I'm also hearing that Mel is coming back, I personally doubt that though but my guy seemed fairly emphatic about it. Should I believe my source (who has been wrong before) or should I believe the Techie's (who are wrong by their very nature as a Techie)? I suppose I'll let it play out (not that I would have any impact on the decision).

Now hockey is nowhere near the same level as football but AD Manuel is a Michigan Man. He saw, from a distance, what happens when you bring in an outsider (Rich Clod) plus he saw what happens when you bring in a Michigan Man but the wrong Michigan man (Hoke). I think his first choice would be Mel but how much is he willing to pay for Mel? Hockey is self-sustaining so you wouldn't think that cost would be much of an issue. However perhaps AD Manuel thinks that promoting from within (which the Mel choice would indirectly be as well) but has anyone considered Billy? I've also seen the name Danton Cole tossed around here, what are others opinions? Obviously Mel is first choice but what if we can't get him?

alfa and streaker, your input is requested.
    I have no information to offer. Berenson is on a year to year basis as far as Manuel is concerned. I think Red revels in the fan concern for his retirement. He seemed annoyed about the fuss made at the last home game last season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the 2016-17 team, there are many unknowns. The USNDT kids coming in have a good pedigree. I like the idea that they are under the radar. No big individual names looking over their shoulder at the NHL. At the same time, a really down year would IMO send Red off for good. I think the non conference schedule aligns/softens with what could be his biggest coaching challenge in some time.

Minnesota has the inside track on the conference, very talented up and down the lineup. Wisconsin will have to be taken seriously again, but still may be a year away. Ohio State can play with just about anyone given the opportunity. Problem is, they don't take games off, they take weeks off in between. Michigan will be talented, but not at the offensive prolific talent level like last season. I agree with the comment that many of their defensive deficiencies also departed. I think they will fight for anywhere from 2nd-4th place. Penn State lost a good deal of talent and may be in re-building for this season. MSU showed some life at the end of the season, but lost several key experienced players, something that will keep them down this season.

From a national perspective, hard to think that the B1G Ten teams have taken a giant leap compared to other conferences. It will still be the NCHC and HEA dominating the rankings. The WCHA and ECAC is probably on par with the B1G. Getting more than the autobid into the national tournament will be a surprise.

Comment

alfa, I hate to say it but I think that you have to change your signature now.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        alfa, I hate to say it but I think that you have to change your signature now.
        I'm going to be in denial for a few more days. Until the season starts I think.

Comment

Got our tickets today. Getting close!

Comment

Regarding Mel. Those rumors persist. He has denied them repeatedly. I think it's true for any coach in NCAA hockey, or almost any, that if you offer them a good package they will consider it. It would be foolish not to. But there is quite a jump from that to, "he's coming".
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Regarding Mel. Those rumors persist. He has denied them repeatedly. I think it's true for any coach in NCAA hockey, or almost any, that if you offer them a good package they will consider it. It would be foolish not to. But there is quite a jump from that to, "he's coming".
              The #1 way to fight the rumors it to make sure Red is happy and excited about coaching. As long as Red stays, there's no point in talking about Mel leaving.

Don't read anything into Red's one year contracts- that's the old way when Red started. Theories abound that this is Red's last season, as have been talked about for multiple seasons in the past. I don't buy any of them- things can change in the middle of the season, even- good and bad. But the only way Red goes is if he decides to.

Comment

Any idea when Michigan will put times and dates to the schedule? When do they usually do that? I'm asking for the same reason as months ago
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  Any idea when Michigan will put times and dates to the schedule? When do they usually do that? I'm asking for the same reason as months ago
                  I think you can expect updated info around Sept 26/27. Once the Big 10 has a media day, polls and tv schedules are released, the game times are usually available around then too.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                    I think you can expect updated info around Sept 26/27. Once the Big 10 has a media day, polls and tv schedules are released, the game times are usually available around then too.
                    Great thanks!
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      If anything it gives him bargaining power. I don't see him leaving unless he pulls a Comely

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Got our tickets today. Getting close!
                        Got ours too. I'm a bit more excited about it this year, because the tickets are actually in my name. For the last decade, I had been getting tickets with my friend Jeff, what has been his family's tickets since the late 80s. This year I convinced the husband that we should have season tickets (after having brought him to many games). Also, the ticket office managed my request of being in the South end and closer to the band/students. Section 13. I've given up on getting to the game more than an hour early to stand in the student section. Plus, the hubby is unwilling (and on Fridays unable) to go that early.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Did wT mention that she has a hubby?

Comment

Picked 3rd in the conference but the highest ranked team.

---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Any video feed for the UNION matchups on the 7th and 8th? I can only find Gametracker and audio feeds.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

This could be a fun team. No star power but lots of players. They need to come together as a team. Goaltending is going to be the key.
                                Let's Go Bobcats!
                                Go Blue!

Comment

Working...
                                X