Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Looking forward to the upcoming season. Non-conference schedule has been announced:
    http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...051316aaa.html

With the CCM line and top D leaving, what will this year look like?
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

It looks interesting.

Lots of apparent talent coming in- for all positions. We have seen that freshmen are more than capable of leading the team in scoring, so it could happen again. We've got some new (and fairly old) defensmen coming in. And a couple of new goalies. Zach may be better with a year of coaching, but he may not get the job.

We lost a LOT of scoring, but we also lost a LOT of defensive liabilities. Could go hand in hand. Or it could be a disaster. We'll have fun either way.

Comment

Thanks wT. Does anyone have a list of our exact incoming recruits? I found some stuff but it didn't appear to consistent? As far as I can tell Lavigne hasn't signed yet. Another Michigan Hockey summer?

http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/commitments.php

https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...cruiting-class

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...st/Michigan/31

OK, this is the "most official" thing I found:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...112415aag.html
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        It looks interesting.

Lots of apparent talent coming in- for all positions. We have seen that freshmen are more than capable of leading the team in scoring, so it could happen again. We've got some new (and fairly old) defensmen coming in. And a couple of new goalies. Zach may be better with a year of coaching, but he may not get the job.

We lost a LOT of scoring, but we also lost a LOT of defensive liabilities. Could go hand in hand. Or it could be a disaster. We'll have fun either way.
        Looks like a 3 team race...MI, MN, UW...where any of those could well not even show up.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Looks like a 3 team race...MI, MN, UW...where any of those could well not even show up.
          Wisconsin? You can't be serious. Personally I think it'll be between MI, MN, and osu.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            Wisconsin? You can't be serious. Personally I think it'll be between MI, MN, and osu.
            Why not Wisconsin? They return everyone plus new coaching staff that has defensive coaching background will make a difference. They were very young last year. Pretty sure they played Michigan tough each game; resulting in 2 ties and 2 close games.

Comment

WMU lists the GLI this season as the 30th & 31st.
              UoM lists the GLI this season as the 29th and 30th.

Who's accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                With the talent that Ohio State has coming back i expect them to battle for one of the top 2 spots.

Comment

Since there's no Big 10 offseason thread, and the topic has come up in this thread, might as well discuss it here.

I see expectations being Minnesota winning the conference and Mich St. coming in 6th. After that, it gets murkier.

I'd probably put PSU/Wisco likely 4th and 5th in some order, and Mich/OSU likely 2nd and 3rd in some order. I kinda question giving that much respect to Michigan given just how much they have lost, but this is a program that has always been able to use the phrase "we don't rebuild, we reload." There's a reason why there's a running joke - if you don't know anything about Michigan in any given year, you can always just say "#1 recruiting class in the country." (obviously not always true, but they are always legitimately in the mix). It'll take more than just a stud freshman to get Michigan back to the NCAA Tournament, but a stud freshman and some improved defensive play will be enough to put them in the top-half of the Big 10.

We'll see. Nothing ever goes exactly as expected, but that's my take heading into 2016-2017.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    WMU lists the GLI this season as the 30th & 31st.
                    UoM lists the GLI this season as the 29th and 30th.

Who's accurate?
                    What does Tech say?

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Since there's no Big 10 offseason thread, and the topic has come up in this thread, might as well discuss it here.

I see expectations being Minnesota winning the conference and Mich St. coming in 6th. After that, it gets murkier.

I'd probably put PSU/Wisco likely 4th and 5th in some order, and Mich/OSU likely 2nd and 3rd in some order. I kinda question giving that much respect to Michigan given just how much they have lost, but this is a program that has always been able to use the phrase "we don't rebuild, we reload." There's a reason why there's a running joke - if you don't know anything about Michigan in any given year, you can always just say "#1 recruiting class in the country." (obviously not always true, but they are always legitimately in the mix). It'll take more than just a stud freshman to get Michigan back to the NCAA Tournament, but a stud freshman and some improved defensive play will be enough to put them in the top-half of the Big 10.

We'll see. Nothing ever goes exactly as expected, but that's my take heading into 2016-2017.
                      I don't know how Michigan plans on replacing all the goals that were scored last year. I know they have a decent frosh class coming in but no Kyle Connor in it. I remember a few years ago when the Badgers were ranked pre season top 10 and won only 4 games after losing all their scoring from the year before. Should be an interesting year with no clear cut favorite.

Comment

What does Tech say?
                        29th/30th per the WCHA composite schedule that was released this afternoon.

Comment

Looks like the wife and I will visit Ann Arbor when Tech plays Michigan. There's also a game at the Big House that weekend too. Super excited.

Is there a chance that series will be Fri-Sunday?
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Looks like the wife and I will visit Ann Arbor when Tech plays Michigan. There's also a game at the Big House that weekend too. Super excited.

Is there a chance that series will be Fri-Sunday?
                            Either that or Thur-fri.

But being that it's homecoming weekend, Fri-Sunday makes more sense. It's been a long while since there was a home hockey game the same night as a football game, let alone for homecoming.

Comment

Either that or Thur-fri.

But being that it's homecoming weekend, Fri-Sunday makes more sense. It's been a long while since there was a home hockey game the same night as a football game, let alone for homecoming.
                              Hopefully it will be Thursday and Friday. Although if it's Sunday we can probably make it due to having a super late flight
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                              X