Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

George Sipple of the Free Press thinks Red is back for one final season.
    Let's Go Bobcats!
    Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      What the hell is it gonna take for him to retire? Was getting blown out at Yost twice by a team who fired their terrible unqualified coach not enough?
      A winning season?

Really- given what Red has accomplished, the fact that the team struggled against MSU is probably a reason to not retire.

When you look at what they are losing- it's also a relatively light year- a couple of guys who started pretty much every game, a goalie that he shared time with, and one guy who *might* come back for one more season. And it's highly unlikely anyone goes early- nobody stood out that much. HUGE freshman class, one of which was the top scorer of the team, another who was second in scoring and voted MVP of the team, and the team's top defenseman is a sophomore. Plus two goalies that have looked really good.

Given all of that, and the fact that this season was so poor, one can see Red coming back.

Comment

Red's retirement will be a sheet pulled over him behind the bench!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Red's retirement will be a sheet pulled over him behind the bench!
          I guarantee you he won't retire because he punches a rival player.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            No announcements at today's Deker's banquet. Other than Red saying that he will meet with Manuel this week.

If one would try to read anything into what was said- Red will come back. That's how I would have read it.
            My reading into it told me he's leaving, because last year at the banquet he said he was staying. Not making that same statement....???

We'll know soon enough.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              My reading into it told me he's leaving, because last year at the banquet he said he was staying. Not making that same statement....???

We'll know soon enough.
              We thought the tone was more "I don't want to leave like this" as he was pretty darned blunt with comments.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                We thought the tone was more "I don't want to leave like this" as he was pretty darned blunt with comments.
                he was. we will see.
                Last edited by wolverine318; 04-05-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
                  I hope Warde and Red will be happy with a 1/4 full Yost. It will be scorch earth if Red goes full on Bobby Bowden and decides to hang on. My decision, and I know many others, to attend games next season depends on Red. At least Lloyd Carr saw the writing on the wall.
                  Have heard that sentiment before.

If Red comes back, it's not because he just wants another year for the sake of another year, it's because the team is going to be good.

Comment

Interesting viewpoint and comments

im sure most here have already seen this, but just in case.....

http://mgoblog.com/content/if-red-be...hould-be-fired

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                      Interesting viewpoint and comments

im sure most here have already seen this, but just in case.....

http://mgoblog.com/content/if-red-be...hould-be-fired
                      he has some points.

But the part about Cooper Marody was not well laid out. Last I heard, Cooper had mono, which made his school work really suffer. And one bad semester made him ineligible for one semester.

If the blog was right, Cooper would probably have mailed in the second half of the season he played in, and have already announced that he would be playing with some minor league team. But he didn't- he became one of the more dynamic players in the second half.

Was the defection of Compher, Copp, Motte, etc- due to Red? Dunno. I'm sure they don't like being reminded that they are here for school, and that's how Red sees it.

All in all, I can't see that Red should be fired if he does not retire on his own. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318
                        Hmmmmm....I have heard that comment for the past 5 seasons....Dude, they are going to suck next year. We need a change in leadership and it starts at top. If Red is back, it's because Warde doesn't have the balls to make Red see the light.
                        If they suck, it won't be because of the coaches. The team will be what they are. As will the recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          This has pretty much been known for some time (along with a couple other possibilities) but "Word on the street" is that Danton Cole will be replacing Coach Berenson next year.
                          OK, correction. Cole is out, unbelievably Mel is coming back. The Techies say that it isn't possible but from what I heard today (same source as the Cole rumor) is that Cole got cold feet AND that Mel is coming back. He didn't guarantee it but that's what he guessed. He used the "Mel still has his house in Saline" factor to confirm it. I want to believe it but it sounds too good to be true. Coach Berenson still needs to retire though. That announcement will come Monday, if it happens.

It's quite possible Cole heads to sparty now.
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            OK, correction. Cole is out, unbelievably Mel is coming back. The Techies say that it isn't possible but from what I heard today (same source as the Cole rumor) is that Cole got cold feet AND that Mel is coming back. He didn't guarantee it but that's what he guessed. He used the "Mel still has his house in Saline" factor to confirm it. I want to believe it but it sounds too good to be true. Coach Berenson still needs to retire though. That announcement will come Monday, if it happens.

It's quite possible Cole heads to sparty now.

https://youtu.be/GyBuGDkrh78

"...but that's what he guessed."

Certainly the most credible information yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              I was just glancing at the numbers to see what effect certain teams winning the national championship this weekend would have on the rest of the field. One interesting possibility is that a Notre Dame national championship could leap Michigan over North Dakota for the #1 spot. Something to keep an eye out for if Notre Dame wins it all on Saturday.
                              I. can't.

Even though it benefits Michigan I can't pull for rudy.
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                https://youtu.be/GyBuGDkrh78

"...but that's what he guessed."

Certainly the most credible information yet.
                                You're going to be so sad on Monday....

Comment

Working...
                                X