X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    "Money talks"

It wasn't at 3:30 this past season with the highest profile matchup in a decade that was a CFP play-in game. It's not ever going to be.
    The football game should be played at noon every year. Which it has been as you pointed out earlier other than the 06 game.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      The football game should be played at noon every year. Which it has been as you pointed out earlier other than the 06 game.
      For us MidWesterners yes I fully agree. However when it's a big game there is the western US and it's viewers to consider. Money will rule everything.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        For us MidWesterners yes I fully agree. However when it's a big game there is the western US and it's viewers to consider. Money will rule everything.
        You're flat-out crazy if you think it's ever gonna happen.
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          You're flat-out crazy if you think it's ever gonna happen.
          It will happen, it'll take a "perfect storm" but the point is it will.
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Those trips to Rome and a team Spring Break in Florida cost a lot of money. Michigan and the Ohio State University will follow the money.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Those trips to Rome and a team Spring Break in Florida cost a lot of money. Michigan and the Ohio State University will follow the money.
              Everyone follows the money. And what you, and a lot of other people are not considering is that the trip to Rome was more than just football. It's called study-abroad in a much smaller context. Athletes typically can't participate in study-abroad programs. This was a fantastic opportunity for Coach Harbaugh to give his players a type of study abroad experience. And the football program brings in more than enough money to offset the bill.

Comment

Everyone follows the money. And what you, and a lot of other people are not considering is that the trip to Rome was more than just football. It's called study-abroad in a much smaller context. Athletes typically can't participate in study-abroad programs. This was a fantastic opportunity for Coach Harbaugh to give his players a type of study abroad experience. And the football program brings in more than enough money to offset the bill.
                All I said was that the trip costs a lot of money. I have doubt that the it was a purely educational experience, Just as the opportunity to study marine wildlife was last year in Bradenton.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

All I said was that the trip costs a lot of money. I have doubt that the it was a purely educational experience, Just as the opportunity to study marine wildlife was last year in Bradenton.
                  I have my doubts surrounding the trip to Florida last year as well but I'm looking at it as Coach Harbaugh "testing the waters" to see if he could get away with it. Since he was able to do that he decided to push the envelope and go to Rome. Not many of the players have ever had the experience of traveling abroad yet they help bring in a lot of money to the University. Since not many of them have been over-seas, nor will they (unless they go Pro) having them experience a different culture is invaluable. I also think that this is Coach Harbaugh's way of getting a vacation. He never takes time-off, this way he gets to take time-off while working.

Isn't this a hockey discussion forum?

Comment

I was actually surprised to see so many of the players take an international class because of this. (which fits into the ideals of the Victors for Michigan campaign)

Comment

I have my doubts surrounding the trip to Florida last year as well but I'm looking at it as Coach Harbaugh "testing the waters" to see if he could get away with it. Since he was able to do that he decided to push the envelope and go to Rome. Not many of the players have ever had the experience of traveling abroad yet they help bring in a lot of money to the University. Since not many of them have been over-seas, nor will they (unless they go Pro) having them experience a different culture is invaluable. I also think that this is Coach Harbaugh's way of getting a vacation. He never takes time-off, this way he gets to take time-off while working.

Isn't this a hockey discussion forum?
                      Maybe Mel can take them hiking on Brockway Mountain or on an Isle Royals Cruise. Actually, if you have the resources, do it! Coach Harbaugh may push the envelope. But that's no different than Nick Saban or Urban Meyer has done to elevate their programs. If somehow Mel can tap into that stream., take the team to a Euro tourney or tour, it can only be good for the program.

Comment

Maybe Mel can take them hiking on Brockway Mountain or on an Isle Royals Cruise. Actually, if you have the resources, do it! Coach Harbaugh may push the envelope. But that's no different than Nick Saban or Urban Meyer has done to elevate their programs. If somehow Mel can tap into that stream., take the team to a Euro tourney or tour, it can only be good for the program.
                        Nobody seems to recall when the Michigan BB team went to Italy. They did a 4 game tour Aug of 2014. (State went in 2015)

It's a lot easier taking a BB team, but given the number of people who have to go- it's not that much fewer than a hockey team.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Nobody seems to recall when the Michigan BB team went to Italy. They did a 4 game tour Aug of 2014. (State went in 2015)

It's a lot easier taking a BB team, but given the number of people who have to go- it's not that much fewer than a hockey team.
                          Michigan Tech went to Europe in 2010 and played (I believe) 4 games. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but IIRC hockey teams can play up to 4 exempt exhibition games in a foreign country once every 4 years. So, no reason why Mel couldn't take the Wolverines out of the country to play some exhibition games.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            Michigan Tech went to Europe in 2010 and played (I believe) 4 games. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but IIRC hockey teams can play up to 4 exempt exhibition games in a foreign country once every 4 years. So, no reason why Mel couldn't take the Wolverines out of the country to play some exhibition games.
                            I think we would seriously consider following them if they ever did that. Especially considering the timing of that possibility.

Comment

I know Minnesota played 4 games in Switzerland in 1981.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                                Yes they did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta7Iqd0cpas
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X