Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
    One of the things I love most about Red is that he is honestly just as proud of his players that became doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, etc as he is of the ones who went on to careers in the NHL. A terrific hockey coach but all about education.
    The story about Chris Fox is still a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      So, uh, Tom left at State, and Danton has offered to help find a new coach up there.

Thoughts?
      That's an interesting quote. Does it mean, "I already have a job lined up, but I'll recommend some other possible coaches." Or, "I want the job, you were fools for not hiring me in the first place."

Comment

Originally posted by spartyon58 View Post
        That's an interesting quote. Does it mean, "I already have a job lined up, but I'll recommend some other possible coaches." Or, "I want the job, you were fools for not hiring me in the first place."
        Hopefully the later. Then Michigan can go hire Mel for the job he deserves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
          Hopefully the later. Then Michigan can go hire Mel for the job he deserves.
          Keep it up. But you're not getting Mel back. Period. Paragraph. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            I'm wondering what the average Michigan hockey fan feels about Berenson staying or leaving. On the one hand, he is legendary coach and has run a remarkably clean program. There are a ton of reasons he is universally respected in this sport and why wouldn't you want him behind your bench? But on the other hand, do people think the game has changed enough that his ability to put an NCAA champion level school on the ice is a thing of the past? And would 2 or 3 more seasons of losing records begin to chip away at Michigan's ability to land NHL-caliber recruits up and down the roster? Anastos has destroyed MSU hockey and it isn't hard to envision a scenario where Michigan keeps an ineffective coach for too long and it does long term damage to their ability to recruit. Especially if the replacement struggles for a few years. The sports world is not as patient (stupidly so) as it was in the 1980s when Red was hired. Can you imagine if the "win now" mentality had existed then? I would guess the next few weeks will be both interesting and tiring for UM hockey fans.
            I can tell you what this Spartan thinks about Coach Berenson: He is a man of integrity. A Coach who recruits well, and sees to it that his kids receive a great education. Someone who always replied with "good to see you" if I saw him at the JLA. I'll never forget his kind remarks concerning Ron Mason, after Coach's passing last summer. Coach Berenson is a person to be respected. And I do respect him.

Comment

Not to butt in , but isn't it a bit pre mature to be writing the guys obituary before anything has been announced? just saying...
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Not to butt in , but isn't it a bit pre mature to be writing the guys obituary before anything has been announced? just saying...
                He did have a really young team this year and I've been thinking that maybe he'd want to go out with a little more of a bang. Maybe he'll take one more shot at it as I doubt Michigan will be down like that next year.
                Last edited by Pirateasaur; 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  A lot are going on his stated intention to retire last year, except for the new AD.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    So, uh, Tom left at State, and Danton has offered to help find a new coach up there.

Thoughts?
                    If I were a Michigan fan, I'd be sad Anastos is going. Much the same way Lions & Packers fans were sad to see Jay Cutler let go by the Bears.

As for Red, if he calls it a career, a couple taps of the stick to a great run.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      If I were a Michigan fan, I'd be sad Anastos is going. Much the same way Lions & Packers fans were sad to see Jay Cutler let go by the Bears.

As for Red, if he calls it a career, a couple taps of the stick to a great run.
                      Honestly, State sucking got old a long time ago. Sucks more whenever we decide to go down there.

Others may feel different, but that's how I see it. The years of Mason vs Red were fun.

Comment

Honestly, State sucking got old a long time ago. Sucks more whenever we decide to go down there.

Others may feel different, but that's how I see it. The years of Mason vs Red were fun.
                        I'd much rather wisconsin or Minnesota suck than state.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I think that we've lost our enjoyment of spartys misery because we blow too.
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            I think that we've lost our enjoyment of spartys misery because we blow too.
                            There is some of that, but when we are good and they suck, it does take a lot of significance out of the game. Like last year.

This year was bad because not only did both teams suck, but somehow State brought a level of suckiness that we never expected out of our team. Should be the other way around.

Comment

No announcements at today's Deker's banquet. Other than Red saying that he will meet with Manuel this week.

If one would try to read anything into what was said- Red will come back. That's how I would have read it.

Comment

What the hell is it gonna take for him to retire? Was getting blown out at Yost twice by a team who fired their terrible unqualified coach not enough?
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X