University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

With the Merger of the University of Alaska System to one accredited university as opposed to three separate accredited campuses, it is possible that either UAA or UAF (or both) athletic programs get cut. My prediction is that UAF sports get cut while UAA sports represents Alaska. UAF would get the money for research. I am very opposed to this method of costs savings (single accreditation and merged campuses) because each campus will lose identity. It would no longer be UAA, UAF or UAS, but a single UA with campuses located in the cities of Juneau, Anchorage and Fairbanks.

This is just a sad day as an alum to hear the merging of all the campuses. Maybe it will save money, I don't know. While I am a UAA fan and Alum, I equally believe UAF should maintain its sports programs versus changing to intramurals. I just could see this happening though.

Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Here is the link: http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...bc61d345f.html

Comment

Boy are you in for an ironic surprise when we all recommend to keep this discussion limited to one thread...
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Boy are you in for an ironic surprise when we all recommend to keep this discussion limited to one thread...
        Is there another thread on this topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
          Is there another thread on this topic?
          http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Maybe-Just-one

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6324885

Take your pick.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I thought we tried to corral this topic back in February with...

"2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Yup. Just had to explain why I laughed out loud in a meeting...
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Top in-State recruit Nolan Walker just "decomited" to UAA...now committed to SCSU. This could get ugly!

Comment

With the Merger of the University of Alaska System to one accredited university as opposed to three separate accredited campuses, it is possible that either UAA or UAF (or both) athletic programs get cut. My prediction is that UAF sports get cut while UAA sports represents Alaska. UAF would get the money for research. I am very opposed to this method of costs savings (single accreditation and merged campuses) because each campus will lose identity. It would no longer be UAA, UAF or UAS, but a single UA with campuses located in the cities of Juneau, Anchorage and Fairbanks.

This is just a sad day as an alum to hear the merging of all the campuses. Maybe it will save money, I don't know. While I am a UAA fan and Alum, I equally believe UAF should maintain its sports programs versus changing to intramurals. I just could see this happening though.
                  Please don't go off the deep end. First of all, there IS NO MERGER at this time. It is only being proposed, and IF it happens it will take a couple years to implement. Way to scare off any potential recruits by the headlines of this post. Sheesh.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    Please don't go off the deep end. First of all, there IS NO MERGER at this time. It is only being proposed, and IF it happens it will take a couple years to implement. Way to scare off any potential recruits by the headlines of this post. Sheesh.
                    First, this isn't the only headline, there are lots of articles out there on this topic. second if I was an athlete I would want full disclosure. I hardly think this is going off the deep end. This is a real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
                      Top in-State recruit Nolan Walker just "decomited" to UAA...now committed to SCSU. This could get ugly!
                      I've read that Wyatt Ege (Minnesota native) has transferred to Ohio State. Any connection?
                      Last edited by fr. joe; 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM.

Comment

First, this isn't the only headline, there are lots of articles out there on this topic. second if I was an athlete I would want full disclosure. I hardly think this is going off the deep end. This is a real issue.
                        Your headlines make it sound like a certainty. We simply don't know right now, it is all speculation.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                          I've read that Wyatt Ege (Minnesota native) has transferred to Ohio State. Any connection?
                          No. UAA got Ege when nobody else bothered looking at him (leastwise ... anywhere he wanted to go). Most of us knew at the beginning of this season that he'd be gone after one year.

Nolan Walker leaving is simply a factor of getting the kid early. Him committing to UAA is what got him looked at by other schools. And since Bob effing Motzko has zero integrity as a human being and as a hockey coach you end up with crappola like talking to a kid who already made a verbal commitment to another school. It's sleazy crappola that we've seen from Mini-Soda schools before.

So eff Nolan Walker. Hopefully, UAA has SCSU on the schedule when he plays for them and someone reminds this low character punk what giving your word means.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            Your headlines make it sound like a certainty. We simply don't know right now, it is all speculation.
                            Size, unfortunately, it's going to happen. The Universities are going to merge, it is not speculation and athletics is in danger. There are many news stories on this subject. It is really sad obviously, not sure what can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              No. UAA got Ege when nobody else bothered looking at him (leastwise ... anywhere he wanted to go). Most of us knew at the beginning of this season that he'd be gone after one year.

Nolan Walker leaving is simply a factor of getting the kid early. Him committing to UAA is what got him looked at by other schools. And since Bob effing Motzko has zero integrity as a human being and as a hockey coach you end up with crappola like talking to a kid who already made a verbal commitment to another school. It's sleazy crappola that we've seen from Mini-Soda schools before.

So eff Nolan Walker. Hopefully, UAA has SCSU on the schedule when he plays for them and someone reminds this low character punk what giving your word means.
                              How's life D?
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
                              X