University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Looks like 10M more put back in the budget for a total of 335M. Hopefully, this will keep our sports in tact. However, university system still pushing for merging all three campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
      Looks like 10M more put back in the budget for a total of 335M. Hopefully, this will keep our sports in tact. However, university system still pushing for merging all three campuses.
      Channel 2 news interviewed the UA President tonight and talked extensively with him about the budget. He said nothing about merging the campuses.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Channel 2 news interviewed the UA President tonight and talked extensively with him about the budget. He said nothing about merging the campuses.
        Suze one part of strategic pathways is merging the campuses. It is a FACT!!! Just because he didn't bring it up doesn't mean anything. The system is already talking to the accreditation agency about it and they are planning for it. I don't like it either but it is FACT. As a matter of FACT the BOR is talking about it now in executive session.

Comment

He's still pushing for it. Budget isn't going to get any better for UA anytime soon.

It really puts things in perspective when a $15m cut sounds good.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Suze, I just don't know how to explain this anymore to you....

http://www.ktva.com/university-of-al...teammates-927/

Comment

what price does a barrel of oil have to hit for the Alaska treasury to get back in the black?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                what price does a barrel of oil have to hit for the Alaska treasury to get back in the black?
                Two years ago our budget was based on oil being $105.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Two years ago our budget was based on oil being $105.
                  Oops. North Dakota planned around $70 per bbl.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Oops. North Dakota planned around $70 per bbl.
                    North Dakota is not as bad off as Alaska then...but they still may have to reduce their permanent fund dividend payout to each ND resident, and maybe think about instituting a state income tax, or some other broad based tax.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      North Dakota is not as bad off as Alaska then...but they still may have to reduce their permanent fund dividend payout to each ND resident, and maybe think about instituting a state income tax, or some other broad based tax.
                      Or wait for the inevitable rise of oil back to $70 or so. It currently is around $50/bbl.

But $100? My God!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In the fall of 2015 the Alaska Department of Revenue's 2016 revenue forecast was based on $50/bbl, $56 for 2017, with the thought that it would rise to $80 over the next ten years. Nobody thought oil would be at $100.

So the question is how fast can you get to a truly balanced budget (immediate budget cuts) vs how quick do you want to deplete your reserves. We could slow down the draw on reserves if the State reduced the PFD entitlement program or implemented some sort of broad based tax (income or sales tax), but that's just crazy talk. What state in their right mind has an income or sales tax. Crazy talk I tell ya.
                        Last edited by mmf; 06-04-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

More on point to the possible impact to athletics.

UA got additional funding but the legislature also emphasized it’s expectation in intent language. Basically UA was directed to return to the Legislature by year-end with "a specific plan for consolidation." The plan would include, "but would not be limited to," the university restructuring into one administrative unit with one accreditation.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            More on point to the possible impact to athletics.

UA got additional funding but the legislature also emphasized it’s expectation in intent language. Basically UA was directed to return to the Legislature by year-end with "a specific plan for consolidation." The plan would include, "but would not be limited to," the university restructuring into one administrative unit with one accreditation.
                            I am against consolidation. But I don't know what else can be done.

Comment

Its interesting to see exactly how consolidation would affect athletics. Could they spread the sports around among the venues? Each hockey team now has 18 full scholarships. Could a coach select how he wishes to redistribute 18 full rides amongst the 2 rosters & release the rest? Does one team continue and the other cease to exist? Combining athletic departments is fairly unprecedented in the NCAA and could be quite complicated.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

They could do this ......All sports heads up total wins to date . ...Winner takes all
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X