Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    P.S. You've been around more than long enough to realize that "Alaska Hockey" has nothing to do with Alaska Hockey.
    I'm pretty sure you've got that backwards.
    "Alaska Hockey" was around loooong before Alaska Hockey and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
      "Alaska Hockey" has been around longer than dirt...but that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Alaska hockey first dropped the puck in 1926, shortly after Alaska Hockey was born.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
          If all schools got a do-over I'm sure there would be lots of changes. Where UAF ended up would be a minor consideration.

My understanding is that the current subsidies provided by UAA, UAF, and UAH were not based on any hard data and that actual costs were supposed to be tracked during 2015-16 and adjusted for 2016-17 if necessary.

I believe last season’s subsidies were $15k for both UAA and UAH, and about $21k + three nights hotel for UAF. Obviously the concept is not to reimburse teams the full cost, just an amount that reasonably equalizes the costs of trips to Alaska (and UAH) compared to other lengthy conference trips.

Read comments about the league tacking on hotel charges to UAA and UAH, but not sure if that was implemented. I have not heard anything about any analysis of costs or subsidies being adjusted, but maybe we never would. Curious if the league is more content to just pull a number out of a hat rather than publicize team travel costs by trip.

P.S. You've been around more than long enough to realize that "Alaska Hockey" has nothing to do with Alaska Hockey.
          Stop using actual facts that the league as a whole agreed to.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Free ride? The stipends have paid about half the expense of Fairbanks and Anchorage trips. Even after the stipend, it still costs twice as much to go to Fairbanks as it does to Mankato, a trip Anchorge still costs about 3 times as much as Ferris State.
            And yet we have never asked NMU to foot the bill for our multi-stop flight, Green Bay overnights, and however long the bus ride is to Marquette because you don't have an airport with mainline flights.

We can't help the geography. It is what it is. If NMU doesn't like the stipend, then NMU can quit agreeing to it.

And besides, after one of these programs gets chopped you can rest easy knowing that your guys won't have to make this dreaded trip more than once every year.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Free ride? The stipends have paid about half the expense of Fairbanks and Anchorage trips. Even after the stipend, it still costs twice as much to go to Fairbanks as it does to Mankato, a trip Anchorge still costs about 3 times as much as Ferris State.
              Why did you leave the CCHA?
              Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-13-2016, 07:56 PM.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Oh yay, we're doing our endless sniping routine about the travel subsidy! The names are the same. The arguments are the same. It's still true that exactly no one in Huntsville bemoans the subsidy, because without it, we are gone. It's pretty simple: the subsidy is what makes it possible for small programs to make the trips to Alaska and Alabama. Those same schools did not have to invite us to their party. It's assuredly true that none of those schools wanted to be on the record as pulling the floor out from under UAH's program. Similarly, they didn't want to reject Fairbanks or, in a crazier bit, throw Anchorage to the curb.

If you don't like the price, you don't have to play. Talk Alaska politics all you want, but the matter is this: Alabama is pretty freaking poor, state support of UAH is paltry, and when it comes to crooks: our Governor is about to be impeached, our State Supreme Court Chief Justice has been brought under changes for the second time, and our State House Speaker was just convicted for ethics law violations. We just roll on, man.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

And besides, after one of these programs gets chopped you can rest easy knowing that your guys won't have to make this dreaded trip more than once every year.
                  one? maybe both ...... then fire up the bus Reggie.......
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    We just roll on, man.

GFM
                    Roll Tide. Did I get that right?

At least you didn't say Roll Along!

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Oh yay, we're doing our endless sniping routine about the travel subsidy! The names are the same. The arguments are the same. It's still true that exactly no one in Huntsville bemoans the subsidy, because without it, we are gone. It's pretty simple: the subsidy is what makes it possible for small programs to make the trips to Alaska and Alabama. Those same schools did not have to invite us to their party. It's assuredly true that none of those schools wanted to be on the record as pulling the floor out from under UAH's program. Similarly, they didn't want to reject Fairbanks or, in a crazier bit, throw Anchorage to the curb.

If you don't like the price, you don't have to play. Talk Alaska politics all you want, but the matter is this: Alabama is pretty freaking poor, state support of UAH is paltry, and when it comes to crooks: our Governor is about to be impeached, our State Supreme Court Chief Justice has been brought under changes for the second time, and our State House Speaker was just convicted for ethics law violations. We just roll on, man.

GFM
                      Nobody from Alaska brings up subsidies or exemptions until and unless some effing vagina from somewhere else starts with the whining about how long the trip is and how effing long it takes or how effing cold it is or whatever effing stupid moan they can come up with to replace their real issue which is that they really prefer their stupid little Michigan bus league.

And yes, I'd happily watch college hockey lose several programs because these effing Michigan vagina schools fans are whiney moaning twats who can't stop whining about not having their effing bus league.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        If all schools got a do-over I'm sure there would be lots of changes. Where UAF ended up would be a minor consideration.

My understanding is that the current subsidies provided by UAA, UAF, and UAH were not based on any hard data and that actual costs were supposed to be tracked during 2015-16 and adjusted for 2016-17 if necessary.

I believe last season’s subsidies were $15k for both UAA and UAH, and about $21k + three nights hotel for UAF. Obviously the concept is not to reimburse teams the full cost, just an amount that reasonably equalizes the costs of trips to Alaska (and UAH) compared to other lengthy conference trips.

Read comments about the league tacking on hotel charges to UAA and UAH, but not sure if that was implemented. I have not heard anything about any analysis of costs or subsidies being adjusted, but maybe we never would. Curious if the league is more content to just pull a number out of a hat rather than publicize team travel costs by trip.

The UAA subsidy was a bit more than that, but you're right on with Huntsville & pretty close with Fairbanks. Each visiting school gets the same amount, regardless of actual expense. Interesting that Bowling Green gets the full subsidy from Huntsville, even though it's a little less than the actual cost of the trip should be. The cost for Mankato to go to Anchorage is far less than that of Lake Superior or NMU, yet the subsidy is the same. The initial plan was for each school to determine the cost of their most expensive trip in the central 7 teams and for UAF, UAH and UAA to pay the difference. That never came to be due to the differences in travel & hotel preferences.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          Why did you leave the CCHA?
                          Moved to a WCHA that was supposed to be UAA, Bemidji, Michigan Tech, Mankato, St Cloud and NMU.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                            And don't forget UAH and UAB athletics get screwed by Tuscaloosa at every turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              Nobody from Alaska brings up subsidies or exemptions until and unless some effing vagina from somewhere else starts with the whining about how long the trip is and how effing long it takes or how effing cold it is or whatever effing stupid moan they can come up with to replace their real issue which is that they really prefer their stupid little Michigan bus league.

And yes, I'd happily watch college hockey lose several programs because these effing Michigan vagina schools fans are whiney moaning twats who can't stop whining about not having their effing bus league.
                              Guess what? Without those Michigan schools, you don't have a league. So feel free to start the All Alaska College Hockey Conference and your problems are over. It's hilarious to read the way you whine about whining. Personally. I'll enjoy the trip to Anchorage year. My only whine is that the Crossbar is no more!
                              Last edited by davyd83; 06-13-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                My only whine is that the Crossbar is no more!
                                Over priced & over rated.

Comment

Working...
                                X