Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Do you think that AIC will be back at Lake Whitt this coming season? Buzzz!
    Gosh I hope not with AIC being the new BC and all.. No honestly I think it's great they are looking to the future with a new coach etc...
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Dan, let's be fair ... you gotta admit it's a little easier recruiting numbers-wise when you (AIC) are at the bottom of the barrel, and really just about any of the (run-of-the-mill) recruits you bring on board is going to have a shot to play right away. I mean, UNH arguably had someone using that same "quantity vs. quality" approach (barring the "playing right away" bit) in recent seasons ... and look where that's gotten us. I don't disagree that UNH's recent recruiting efforts have been frustrating, but you're comparing (rotten) applies to (over-ripe) oranges here, no?
      I don't think it matters how they compare to UNH recruits/talent and I'm not comparing the two groups. I'm sure we can still hang out hat on being better than AIC for the foreseeable future. What I'm comparing is the recruiting philosophy of the two new coaches...

Whether these recruits could play at UNH is irrelevant - they are seen by many as a clear upgrade for AIC. More importantly the new coach is CLEAR on his high expectations for, and belief in, what the program can be. He views whatever limitations outsiders place on the program as insignificant to achieving his stated goals. He is able to passionately sell his vision and kids are buying in immediately. I think it's safe to say AIC has never had a run like this in, at least recent, program history...

They had TWO total commits before the new coach took over. So while you may be right about them taking anyone, it's clear very few of 'anyone' had any interest in going there. After the coaching change, better prospects were buying in immediately...

Most significant is how the entire attitude around the AIC program, it's recruiting efforts and expectations for the program have changed. They will likely never be anything more than 'competitive' in the AHA, but that is a huge step up from <5 wins a year. A similar step by UNH would put them back in the national spotlight...

Recruiting aggressively, selling and targeting kids aggressively does not mean you'll end up with quantity over quality. That was Borek's approach. It's certainly not Denvers approach - they're aggressively reeling in a quantity of quality. UNH had the same opportunity as AIC and the same ability as DU, yet as Sonar pointed out has taken a completely different approach. That's the comparison...

Finally, let's not pretend that it would/should be difficult for the standard HE recruit to outplay upperclassmen at UNH the last few/next few years for any reason other than Umile...
      Last edited by Dan; 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I don't think it matters how they compare to UNH recruits/talent and I'm not comparing the two groups. I'm sure we can still hang out hat on being better than AIC for the foreseeable future. What I'm comparing is the recruiting philosophy of the two new coaches...

Whether these recruits could play at UNH is irrelevant - they are seen by many as a clear upgrade for AIC. More importantly the new coach is CLEAR on his high expectations for, and belief in, what the program can be. He views whatever limitations outsiders place on the program as insignificant to achieving his stated goals. He is able to passionately sell his vision and kids are buying in immediately. I think it's safe to say AIC has never had a run like this in, at least recent, program history...

They had TWO total commits before the new coach took over. So while you may be right about them taking anyone, it's clear very few of 'anyone' had any interest in going there. After the coaching change, better prospects were buying in immediately...

Most significant is how the entire attitude around the AIC program, it's recruiting efforts and expectations for the program have changed. They will likely never be anything more than 'competitive' in the AHA, but that is a huge step up from <5 wins a year. A similar step by UNH would put them back in the national spotlight...

Recruiting aggressively, selling and targeting kids aggressively does not mean you'll end up with quantity over quality. That was Borek's approach. It's certainly not Denvers approach - they're aggressively reeling in a quantity of quality. UNH had the same opportunity as AIC and the same ability as DU, yet as Sonar pointed out has taken a completely different approach. That's the comparison...

Finally, let's not pretend that it would/should be difficult for the standard HE recruit to outplay upperclassmen at UNH the last few/next few years for any reason other than Umile...
        Dan, I totally understand your point as to the different approaches. But before we arrange the coronation of the new AIC coach, can we at least wait until they play a game, y'know, so we can see how it actually works out on the ice?

Did AIC need a breath of fresh air? I'm sure they did. Has that apparently happened with the new guy? Probably. At least it seems he knows how to play the PR game. Will he do any better than the last guy? Remains to be seen. "Philosophy" is nothing more than a plan or promise unless it's backed by results.

There's a big difference between talking a good game, and producing concrete results with your program. For every Norm Bazin, there are at least a half-dozen guys who come amidst heavy PR, and fail to attain the hoped-for results. At least at AIC, the bar is set low, and a 5 win bump will make you a local messiah. We're going to need a lot more than that to get UNH back into the national spotlight. JMHO.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

As Dan said ......"UNH had the same opportunity as AIC and the same ability as DU, yet as Sonar pointed out has taken a completely different approach. That's the comparison..."

Yep ...

Comment

https://translate.google.com/transla...ig&prev=search

Another top Finn will provide immediate help to either Denver, U Conn, Providence or Lowell.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              https://translate.google.com/transla...ig&prev=search

Another top Finn will provide immediate help to either Denver, U Conn, Providence or Lowell.
              I remember about a decade ago, I think, when UML had three Finns; must have been an Olympic year when they were seniors, as those three players were unavailable for a few games mid-season, and UML suffered for it.

Comment

I remember about a decade ago, I think, when UML had three Finns; must have been an Olympic year when they were seniors, as those three players were unavailable for a few games mid-season, and UML suffered for it.
                2002 - Lowell had Yorick Treille (Sr), Laurent Meunier (So), and Baptiste Amar (Fr) all leave for a month in January to represent France in the Olympics. A promising season (Lowell was #3 in the country when they left), went bust. They were the last team out in the final year of the 12-team NCAA tourney.
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Searching for the thread - never mind complicated stuff like searching for direction in a program lacking same.

Comment

Searching for the thread - never mind complicated stuff like searching for direction in a program lacking same.
                    My family's '57 Chevy had fins.

Comment

CHN reporting NU will play UNH at Frozen Fenway this season. Likely 1/14
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        CHN reporting NU will play UNH at Frozen Fenway this season. Likely 1/14
                        And, according to schedules thread, NU vists Lake Whitt on Thursday, January 12th, for a home and partial-home, so to speak.

Comment

And, according to schedules thread, NU vists Lake Whitt on Thursday, January 12th, for a home and partial-home, so to speak.
                          Unfortunate to see us missing out on our annual trip to Mathews (Boston) Arena for the silly frostbite game.

Comment

Unfortunate to see us missing out on our annual trip to Mathews (Boston) Arena for the silly frostbite game.
                            Totally agree! I so look forward to this trip...prob will go to Frozen Fenway (it can't be THAT bad?!? ) and come here and gripe about it...only to be told...'we told ya so'!!!!
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Totally agree! I so look forward to this trip...prob will go to Frozen Fenway (it can't be THAT bad?!? ) and come here and gripe about it...only to be told...'we told ya so'!!!!
                              You know that we will.

Comment

You know that we will.
                                Absolutely (and repeatedly).

Comment

Working...
                                X