UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Can't ans the q but have been looking from Boston. Wonder when the game is? Not sure it's cost effective but the ease of getting there is surely worth the expense...could always drive down and then train it in from Ct. Lots of options!!
    The commuter train to new haven the last time I was in nyc, got back at 3am. That was 7-8 years ago but expect it to be around the same time.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      The commuter train to new haven the last time I was in nyc, got back at 3am. That was 7-8 years ago but expect it to be around the same time.
      The commuter train, Metro North, leaves from Grand Central on 42nd Street. May have more train options than Amtrak to New Haven and I believe will be less expensive. It does not run from Penn Station like Amtrak does.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Four UNH (football) players rise to cop's aid:
        http://fosters.com/article/20160426/SPORTS/160429459
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Nice to see a school like AIC lay out a specific recruiting plan to change the culture a bit. Thoughtful, cogent, and removed from the past proceedings .... and they even shared it with their fans .... what a concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            A while back somebody (Chuck?) mentioned the curse of the jumbotron. As you all know I have nothing but disdain for that contraption which was supposed to help to bring us a national title. But I have even more disgust for the whole Frozen Fenway concept, and I would argue that the real curse is the "Curse of Frozen Fenway." Think about it. At the time that the athletic administration pimped out its hockey program UNH had earned home ice in the Hockey East playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons. Real home ice, legitimate home ice, not hosting in that phony baloney round the league has since added. Likewise, UNH had participated in the NCAA playoffs for ten consecutive seasons, and 14 of the previous 15. Both of those streaks ended the same season the team participated in the Fenway Farce. You what they say about karma. The program hasn't been the same since.
            OK, so I'm being more than a bit sarcastic here. (I've learned you have to spell that out on this forum.)

Still there are some lessons to be learned. As would be the case with the jumbotron, Frozen Fenway was received with wild enthusiasm by the sycophants. Like lemmings they gobbled up all the tickets and flocked to America's most beloved ballpark, only to realize the experience wasn't all it was cracked up to be. More than anything else the whole Frozen Fenway fiasco reminds us of the fraudulent nature of much of the fanbase. For years any attempt to raise revenue at the Whittemore Center was treated with scorn and derision, yet those same voices were silent when it came to the blatant money grab on Lansdowne Street. All those who were so offended when a UNH-Maine regular season game was played in Manchester (you know, a place with a REAL hockey arena) were mute when such a contest was played at a baseball field in Janauary. (Though it was Maine that gave up a home contest rather than NH. Had it been the opposite who knows what might have happened, though I think the outcry would have been limited.)

Since HR asked about our winter hockey experiences I will share my Frozen Fenway memory. I watched the game in my living room (but not to worry Darius it wasn't all that great on TV either - horrid camera placement due to the venue.) My interest in the game was tepid - I was stunned at how so many alleged hockey fans could embrace such a farce. When the 'Cats lost the game in OT I remember I wasn't all that upset. In a weird sort of way I felt like the program had it coming to them for allowing itself to be exploited like that. I didn't think anything could could take the luster off the UNH-UMaine rivalry. But Frozen Fenway did. And in a way, it foreshadowed much of what was to come.
            Now there's a fiery hot take (or more accurately, a series of hot takes) from Felgie. Where've you been? I had to start the offseason thread, and frankly I'm pretty sure whatever you had in mind would have been better than mine. Maybe in a few weeks if we can burn through this one with many FB type posts, you can get yours up then. Or even now.

Anyway ... put me down with the rest as having been underwhelmed by Frozen Fenway. I actually went twice (UNH plus one other that I'm not quite able to remember, due to frozen brain cells no doubt), so how stupid does that make me (don't answer that, please )? Both times were on some corporate entertainer's dime, and it was absolutely positively a novelty thing for me (plus free beer is free beer especially when it's frosty cold!!) that I'm in no hurry to revisit. As others have said, the sightlines were awful, and after about a period, my posse went looking for a better location too. I'm not a Red Sox fan but can appreciate Fenway as a nice (if somewhat overrated) baseball venue. I've even been there for Fenway Football (soccer) twice, which wasn't half bad. I've never had the slightest interest in seeing any of the musical acts that have played there. My chances of ever going back there outside of baseball season are virtually nil.

Now if they ever can build the new UNH football stadium to be big enough to house enough fans to make an outdoor hockey game there economically viable ... THAT might be something to consider. But realistically, the chances of that ever happening in my lifetime would be about 0.0001%. Even with those new-fangled lights thingies they've got up there.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Grayson Downing has a banner rookie season with the Iowa Wild!

http://www.iowawild.com/fan-central/...rticle_id=1128
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Now there's a fiery hot take (or more accurately, a series of hot takes) from Felgie. Where've you been? I had to start the offseason thread, and frankly I'm pretty sure whatever you had in mind would have been better than mine. Maybe in a few weeks if we can burn through this one with many FB type posts, you can get yours up then. Or even now.
                If this crack refers to our attempts to get beta on trains for the supposed Cornell-UNH game at MSG over next Thanksgiving, guilty as charged. But, got some good tips.

Comment

Grayson Downing has a banner rookie season with the Iowa Wild!

http://www.iowawild.com/fan-central/...rticle_id=1128
                  Good for Grayson.

Gotta pick up the pace here, if we want to complete the first installment before October.

Any more rumours about the schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Good for Grayson.

Gotta pick up the pace here, if we want to complete the first installment before October.

Any more rumours about the schedule?
                    I do know the men played the field hockey team yesterday for a FOJ (Friends of Jacklyn) and lost in a shootout. TvR was rumored to be in town give some swag to the raffle which was prob. the highlight of the day in Durham...haha. Didn't see the game but heard DT was stellar in shootout, taking the loss. Outside of that, I got nothin'.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I do know the men played the field hockey team yesterday for a FOJ (Friends of Jacklyn) and lost in a shootout. TvR was rumored to be in town give some swag to the raffle which was prob. the highlight of the day in Durham...haha. Didn't see the game but heard DT was stellar in shootout, taking the loss. Outside of that, I got nothin'.
                      The game was rigged! Eiserman scored right at the buzzer at the end of the first half and they waived it off even though it was clearly before time expired. They could have used you out there officiating HR! At the start of the game there was actually quite a few people there, unfortunately around half time it started to rain and it thinned out pretty quick. But the shootout was hilarious! None of the ICE hockey players knew what to do on the FIELD hockey goalie. Tirone did his best to keep them in it.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
                        The game was rigged! Eiserman scored right at the buzzer at the end of the first half and they waived it off even though it was clearly before time expired. They could have used you out there officiating HR! At the start of the game there was actually quite a few people there, unfortunately around half time it started to rain and it thinned out pretty quick. But the shootout was hilarious! None of the ICE hockey players knew what to do on the FIELD hockey goalie. Tirone did his best to keep them in it.
                        Ha! I would have loved to have volunteered my services...I imagine it was a challenge to NOT play the ball with both sides of the stick..Wish I could've been there but alas had a lax game to officiate, in the rain. Hoping to make it next time around. They (the hockey team) won last year so I imagine the FH team wanted revenge hence the waived off goal! Also speaking of Eiserman I heard he decked a few players....

Sorry 'bout the FB like posts..just nothing to say that hasn't been said I guess. I'm sure there will be plenty of news in the next few weeks. No, this isn't meant to be cryptic
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ha! I would have loved to have volunteered my services...I imagine it was a challenge to NOT play the ball with both sides of the stick..Wish I could've been there but alas had a lax game to officiate, in the rain. Hoping to make it next time around. They (the hockey team) won last year so I imagine the FH team wanted revenge hence the waived off goal! Also speaking of Eiserman I heard he decked a few players....

Sorry 'bout the FB like posts..just nothing to say that hasn't been said I guess. I'm sure there will be plenty of news in the next few weeks. No, this isn't meant to be cryptic
                          I think they had more of a problem not using their feet to stop the ball. Marks must have been whistled 15 times during the game for using his feet. Eiserman did have 1 good check, although the field hockey player stepped right in front of him while he was running full speed. Plus the ground was really wet and slippery, so the general consensus in the crowd was that there was no way he could avoid it. And you could tell he was really embarrassed by it, taking himself out of the game as soon as it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                            Nice to see a school like AIC lay out a specific recruiting plan to change the culture a bit. Thoughtful, cogent, and removed from the past proceedings .... and they even shared it with their fans .... what a concept.
                            Lang hired as AIC head coach on April 15th - ten days shy of ONE month later and already FIVE* players have committed to AIC. Certainly, nice to see an actual plan executed with belief, confidence and aggression...

* Ketola, Skog, Reinhardt, Luca, Demel....
                            Last edited by Dan; 05-05-2016, 03:37 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Lang hired as AIC head coach on April 15th - ten days shy of ONE month later and already FIVE* players have committed to AIC. Certainly, nice to see an actual plan executed with belief, confidence and aggression...

Do you think that AIC will be back at Lake Whitt this coming season? Buzzz!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Dan, let's be fair ... you gotta admit it's a little easier recruiting numbers-wise when you (AIC) are at the bottom of the barrel, and really just about any of the (run-of-the-mill) recruits you bring on board is going to have a shot to play right away. I mean, UNH arguably had someone using that same "quantity vs. quality" approach (barring the "playing right away" bit) in recent seasons ... and look where that's gotten us. I don't disagree that UNH's recent recruiting efforts have been frustrating, but you're comparing (rotten) applies to (over-ripe) oranges here, no?
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X