Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Summer Olympics - Ready or not, here we come!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    It's a big deal in Scandinavia and, I think, the rest of Europe. Curses flew and chairs were thrown in the common room of my dorm in Sweden during national team matches.
    I don't the particulars of the game but it looks kind of lame. Is there a shot clock?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Ready or not, here we come!!

You haven't seen or played lame until you try Netball. Think basketball except players are confined to quadrants. You can run as much as you want within your assigned quadrant but if you receive a pass you can only take one step before having to pass it off. As per wiki:

Games are played on a rectangular court with raised goal rings at each end. Each team attempts to score goals by passing a ball down the court and shooting it through its goal ring. Players are assigned specific positions, which define their roles within the team and restrict their movement to certain areas of the court. During general play, a player with the ball can hold on to it for only three seconds before shooting for a goal or passing to another player. The winning team is the one that scores the most goals.
      I played when I lived in Bahrain because it got me out of the house and the league was co-ed. If there were not athletic and attractive women present and a pub on site for pre- and post-game I'd never have played.

It is an IOC recognized sport and I wouldn't be surprised if it one day made it in for a go.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I always though Handball was a game you played with a hard rubber ball on a squash court or someplace like that. What the heck is the handball they play in olympics? Take a dodge ball and run down to some soccer goal and throw it in. W TF I'm thinking USCHO could field a gold medal winning team
        That's because it's called TEAM Handball. That's why you're all confused... :-)
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Lyin' Ryan Lochte? He's home.

2 pulled off plane, another can't be found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/wo...pics.html?_r=0
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

The Irish on sailing. NSFW in there.

http://www.altdriver.com/lmao/the-be...mmentary-ever/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Classy from Mass. (there's a few up here)

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...bey_d_agostino

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                Lyin' Ryan Lochte? He's home.

2 pulled off plane, another can't be found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/wo...pics.html?_r=0
                http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olym...RX8?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

Meanwhile, a British athlete says he was robbed at gunpoint...
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    You haven't seen or played lame until you try Netball. Think basketball except players are confined to quadrants. You can run as much as you want within your assigned quadrant but if you receive a pass you can only take one step before having to pass it off. As per wiki:

I played when I lived in Bahrain because it got me out of the house and the league was co-ed. If there were not athletic and attractive women present and a pub on site for pre- and post-game I'd never have played.

It is an IOC recognized sport and I wouldn't be surprised if it one day made it in for a go.
                    Were the Bahraini's trying to buy you off to get a gold medal in that too?
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Meanwhile, a British athlete says he was robbed at gunpoint...
                      Then there's this boob that might as well had a sign around his neck that said, "take my money, please".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...losing-8658786

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Were the Bahraini's trying to buy you off to get a gold medal in that too?
                        I missed out on that boom!!

Comment

It takes 8 cases of Molson to win an Olympic high jump gold medal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqJv-gYVUAAMdDS.jpg
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Been noticing something interesting about the shoes this year. Don't know if it's really different than in previous years, or if I just haven't noticed it before. It seems that in previous years, the shoe companies have designed shoes for key runners to develop a unique look for each runner. This year it seems like most runners, both male and female, (key exception being Bolt) are wearing a Nike model that's tennis-ball yellow in the front and fluorescent pink in the heel. Even the US shotputters wore shoes with a similar look. It's almost like a new model of Air Jordans came out and all the Olympic runners acted like American teenagers and went to Dicks the day they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                              Been noticing something interesting about the shoes this year. Don't know if it's really different than in previous years, or if I just haven't noticed it before. It seems that in previous years, the shoe companies have designed shoes for key runners to develop a unique look for each runner. This year it seems like most runners, both male and female, (key exception being Bolt) are wearing a Nike model that's tennis-ball yellow in the front and fluorescent pink in the heel. Even the US shotputters wore shoes with a similar look. It's almost like a new model of Air Jordans came out and all the Olympic runners acted like American teenagers and went to Dicks the day they came out.
                              Nike's probably sponsoring the athletes, like they've done many times in the past, and decided they'd get more mileage if the Olympians were wearing products that the Average Joe could actually get in the stores rather than specially made shoes available only to a select few people.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Nike's probably sponsoring the athletes, like they've done many times in the past, and decided they'd get more mileage if the Olympians were wearing products that the Average Joe could actually get in the stores rather than specially made shoes available only to a select few people.
                                Yeah, I was seeing shoes that looked like that for weeks before the Games started. I'm sure they aren't built the same as the ones being used in Rio, but look the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X