This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

ah, the holidays at Rockefeller Center, crowded with tourists busy taking pictures; the 8-story tall, brightly-lit holiday tree topped with the giant Swarovski crystal star; the iconic ice skating rink; the anti-terror police squad in helmets, full body armor, carrying semi-automatic rifles....
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      ah, the holidays at Rockefeller Center, crowded with tourists busy taking pictures; the 8-story tall, brightly-lit holiday tree topped with the giant Swarovski crystal star; the iconic ice skating rink; the anti-terror police squad in helmets, full body armor, carrying semi-automatic rifles....
      My son tells me that this is quite common in Paris.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's been true since I last went to Europe in 2003. I remember Prague had something that looked like a tank parked outside of their opera house (could have been their orchestra hall).

Automatic rifles were the norm in most European airports we visited and throughout London.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          That's been true since I last went to Europe in 2003. I remember Prague had something that looked like a tank parked outside of their opera house (could have been their orchestra hall).

Automatic rifles were the norm in most European airports we visited and throughout London.
          Rome had police officers wearing full battle gear that had the word (I'm going to get close, but likely wrong here) "Campione" on their body armor and holding sub-machine guns, just standing on the corners. This was the summer of 2000.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Rome had police officers wearing full battle gear that had the word (I'm going to get close, but likely wrong here) "Campione" on their body armor and holding sub-machine guns, just standing on the corners. This was the summer of 2000.
            I was in London a few weeks after their subway bombings
            I saw lots of police officers with sub-machine guns walking around tub stations and around parliament. Otherwise they were dressed like ordinary police officers.

Comment

Carabinieri, possibly? Those are Italian civil law enforcement.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Carabinieri, possibly? Those are Italian civil law enforcement.
                Samsonite, that was the it! I was way off!

I got the C, A and then ending I right. Partial credit? Also, it was 16.5 years ago now.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Samsonite, that was the it! I was way off!

I got the C, A and then ending I right. Partial credit? Also, it was 16.5 years ago now.
                  I think it was d-mn impressive to remember anything at all. I was in Rome 15 years ago. What I remember is the train station is insane, the Roma children are organized into pick pocketing gangs with the efficiency of the mid-70s Dolphin defense, cats have completely taken over the Coliseum and the Forum, and I remember a Roman soldier re-enactor sitting on the steps on a break staring bored out into space and I thought "I'll bet an actual soldier sat there just like that 2000 years ago!" I sure don't recall any proper nouns.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I think it was d-mn impressive to remember anything at all. I was in Rome 15 years ago. What I remember is the train station is insane, the Roma children are organized into pick pocketing gangs with the efficiency of the mid-70s Dolphin defense, cats have completely taken over the Coliseum and the Forum, and I remember a Roman soldier re-enactor sitting on the steps on a break staring bored out into space and I thought "I'll bet an actual soldier sat there just like that 2000 years ago!" I sure don't recall any proper nouns.
                    The Forum and Coliseum were actually pretty clean when I was there because it happened to be in 2000, the year of the Great Jubilee. It turns out that Rome gets a thorough cleaning for these Jubilees. I knew nothing of it until someone mentioned that while my buddy and I were there.

The Roma children are really good, and a trio got my wallet - a large, difficult wallet to steal from my front pocket. Thankfully, I had most of my essential docs and traveler's checks in a pouch around my neck, but I still lost about $300 cash and my credit cards. So I had to make it around Europe for the next 11 or 12 days on roughly $1000. I was in luck then as the USD was extremely strong against almost every single European currency due to a hard recession that was sweeping the continent at the time. I made it home with $400 in traveler's checks remaining.

Comment

Gatwick had guards in full gear as far back as 1996. The more I flew internationally that year the more it felt the norm not the exception. Only having flown within NA until then it was an eye-opener.

Comment

How much did that have to do with the IRA though?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Gatwick had guards in full gear as far back as 1996. The more I flew internationally that year the more it felt the norm not the exception. Only having flown within NA until then it was an eye-opener.
                          I flew out of Amsterdam shortly after the shoe bomber had boarded a flight from there. They didn't **** around. I've only been in a few European airports (Heathrow, Manchester, Schipol). Not sure how common this is but Schipol had security at the gate. You'd start in an unsecured waiting area, then shortly before your flight boarded they'd process you through security (passport exit stamp, body scanners, pat downs) and you'd end up in a secured waiting area until your boarding group is called. Their searches were very thorough. A few women were shocked when they went straight for the bra underwire check with no warning after it shows up on the body scanner.

Comment

Russian ambassador to Turkey shot, claiming revenge for Syrian activity... http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...speech-ankara/

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              I flew out of Amsterdam shortly after the shoe bomber had boarded a flight from there. They didn't **** around. I've only been in a few European airports (Heathrow, Manchester, Schipol). Not sure how common this is but Schipol had security at the gate. You'd start in an unsecured waiting area, then shortly before your flight boarded they'd process you through security (passport exit stamp, body scanners, pat downs) and you'd end up in a secured waiting area until your boarding group is called. Their searches were very thorough. A few women were shocked when they went straight for the bra underwire check with no warning after it shows up on the body scanner.
                              Schipol has had that for quite some time. I started flying there monthly in 2003. Long interview then the close body search. Once saw an old man seated with a great view of those being checked with a huge grin on his face

Comment

Make America Great Again.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X