X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Grant you your disclaimer. even so, there is an unspoken assumption in your first sentence that may or may not hold, which could affect your conclusion.

If gun, bomb, plane, etc. attacks took more time, plotting and co-conspirators to pull off, switching to random machete attacks in public places might not reduce overall fatalities all that much: fatality per incident might well be lower, as you suggest; but would the number of incidents increase since they would be so much quicker and easier to execute?
    Do you cons ever quit thinking about boogeymen?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      Do you cons ever quit thinking about boogeymen?
      There's one around every corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        There's one around every corner.
        I thought I smelled something...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          They just launched their new magazine: https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securit...rests-beaches/
          a man armed with a machete [at the University of Colorado] was shot and killed [Wednesday] morning when he refused to drop the weapon, police said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...tball-facility
          Last edited by FreshFish; 10-06-2016, 07:47 AM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Do you cons [ex-Boy Scouts] ever quit thinking about [Be Prepared]?
            I'd rather be prepared for an emergency that doesn't happen, than have a disaster strike and then not know how to respond.

The one single thing we have consistently done the past eight years (if not longer) is underestimate our enemies. That has been deadly. "Whistling past the graveyard" is not a viable strategy.

and no, I've never been in prison. I have no idea how prior incarceration figures into this situation.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              I'd rather be prepared for an emergency that doesn't happen, than have a disaster strike and then not know how to respond.
              Funny how that only applies to killing minorities and not things like climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Funny how that only applies to killing minorities and not things like climate change.
                What climate change? Trump told me it was a hoax. He doesn't lie, he's running for President.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  What climate change? Trump told me it was a hoax. He doesn't lie, he's running for President.
                  It is a Chinese conspiracy
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    It is a Chinese conspiracy
                    Worse than that, Chinese Democracy.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The one single thing we have consistently done the past eight years (if not longer) is underestimate our enemies. That has been deadly. "Whistling past the graveyard" is not a viable strategy.

I agree. We should take the 2003 Iraq approach more often. We did, however, underestimate how deadly electing Bush would be, and we must be vigilant about not making such a mistake again.

Comment

I agree. We should take the 2003 Iraq approach more often. We did, however, underestimate how deadly electing Bush would be, and we must be vigilant about not making such a mistake again.
                        There's a difference between preparing for the worst and becoming the worst. It's subtle, but it exists.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The one single thing we have consistently done the past eight years (if not longer) is underestimate our enemies. That has been deadly.
                          This is a ridiculous and politically-motivated criticism. The thing that last 16 years has taught us is that the world is very complicated and anybody who tells your different is selling something.

The current administration has done what it could to pick up the pieces of the disaster that was bequeathed it. The prior administration pursued a simplistic (not to mention murderous) foreign policy that looked at the world as a predictable mainframe that we as Programmer could feed in the right inputs and get back the right outputs. That was horrific hubris that we'll be paying for in blood and treasure for the rest of the century.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            This is a ridiculous and politically-motivated criticism. The thing that last 16 years has taught us is that the world is very complicated and anybody who tells your different is selling something.

The current administration has done what it could to pick up the pieces of the disaster that was bequeathed it. The prior administration pursued a simplistic (not to mention murderous) foreign policy that looked at the world as a predictable mainframe that we as Programmer could feed in the right inputs and get back the right outputs. That was horrific hubris that we'll be paying for in blood and treasure for the rest of the century.
                            From what I can see, both are responsible for the disaster. Sure one started it, but the other perpetuated it. And now we're in an "endless war" scenario that is exactly what was seen in the last days of the Roman Republic. Thankfully we learned from their mistakes by not instituting a dictator when war comes (although we almost didn't with FDR), as that was loopholed quite easily. Perhaps Johnson and Paul have a point... Enough is enough with the foreign policing crap. That's what is going to help the most with diplomacy. Let's take care of #1, if we need to lend a hand to allies so be it, remove the banking families from power that create these wars, and be a leader in state autonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              From what I can see, both are responsible for the disaster. Sure one started it, but the other perpetuated it. And now we're in an "endless war" scenario that is exactly what was seen in the last days of the Roman Republic. Thankfully we learned from their mistakes by not instituting a dictator when war comes (although we almost didn't with FDR), as that was loopholed quite easily. Perhaps Johnson and Paul have a point... Enough is enough with the foreign policing crap. That's what is going to help the most with diplomacy. Let's take care of #1, if we need to lend a hand to allies so be it, remove the banking families from power that create these wars, and be a leader in state autonomy.
                              I have sympathy towards this view, but I don't think leaving the field to the Russians and the Islamists is being a good global citizen. The US has the capacity to be a force for stability and a measure of justice in the world without pretending that everybody wants to be Fresno. Even leaving aside moral considerations, I don't think it's in our national interest for instance to completely disengage in Syria and let Assad, Putin, and al-Baghdadi drive millions more refugees west to destabilize Europe.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Meanwhile, the derposphere is reporting al-Baghdadi has been poisoned.

So far it's just Fox, the Sun, IB Times, the NY Post and that ilk so, basically, it's on the level of a Tweet from your racist uncle, but... developing.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X