X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    What is it with the right that is so obsessed with labels? Yes, we know your a conservative. Yes, all other conservatives but you are rino's. This is somehow very important to you. Yes, we know there is a rash of Muslim violence. No, not all Muslims are violent...the vast majority of Muslims are fine.I would rather the government concern itself with all extremism and those that are high risk for major violence rather than -insert label here-.
    I'm sure many on the right would like to ask the left the same question, especially with all the labels ending in -ist and -ism.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Find the time to read what the person shouted just before doing what he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Good job. I wonder if the current mantra that "this country has always been tolerant of all faiths" is true?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Good job. I wonder if the current mantra that "this country has always been tolerant of all faiths" is true?
          Many secular thinkers now regard “religion” as inherently belligerent and intolerant, and an irrational, backward and violent “other” to the peaceable and humane liberal state
          It could never occur here.
          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
          Groucho Marx
          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
          Ron White
          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
          Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
            Wouldn't that statement make secular thinkers intolerant, because of their intolerance towards religious beliefs?

Comment

Many secular thinkers now regard “religion” as inherently belligerent and intolerant, and an irrational, backward and violent “other” to the peaceable and humane liberal state
              Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
              Quite the peculiar retort in this context given the not so magnanimous aversion to all things Islamic from the right.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                It surely seems like it is true to me: people still seem very tolerant of other people's faith1; what we do not tolerate is anti-social behavior.

1except militant atheists.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Wouldn't that statement make secular thinkers intolerant, because of their intolerance towards religious beliefs?
                  Some of the biggest bigots I've met are the anti-bigot bigots.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I'll bookmark that for later, but based on the executive summary, I am kind of surprised you'd be the one to post something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I'll bookmark that for later, but based on the executive summary, I am kind of surprised you'd be the one to post something like that.
                      I love Karen Armstrong's work.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

After a skim, a decent article which identifies some straight forward (and in my mind correct) hypotheses.

It does not say why many of the relatively small percentage of violent religious fanatics exist to begin with. That is due to underlying tendencies in many for extremism/anger that already pre exist in say 10 to 20% of all peoples without adherence to any ideology. Religion (or nationalism or even fanaticism of things like guns) then attracts that extremism as it adds perceived rationale or other 'grounding' which is typically a huge leap from what these ideologies are all about. The article does identify that those with similar strains of judgment fall into the secular camp which then proceeds to mis judge the cause of extremism and directly blame the ideology. It is the misdiagnosis of the ideology that then cause moderate adherents to feel like they're ideology is under unwarranted fire (which it is) and this misdiagnosis plus pre existing extremist lobbying spreads extremism within that ideology. Rinse, repeat.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Police state is heightening: https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/07/e...tary-personnel

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            They also purged their universities. That typically doesn't end well.

There is typically an ultra-conservative backlash against intellectuals during frightening times. We have our own dances with Gleichschaltung here in the US whenever the people are scared and want to run under the skirts of the nearest head ape.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Some of the biggest bigots I've met are the anti-bigot bigots.
                              Why should we be tolerant of bigots? I'm so sick of bigots claiming they are being persecuted. They deserve to be treated like *******s because they CHOOSE to be *******s.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                Why should we be tolerant of bigots? I'm so sick of bigots claiming they are being persecuted. They deserve to be treated like *******s because they CHOOSE to be *******s.
                                Yeah that little diatribe ranks up there with the whole idea of reverse racism...oh those poor WASPS!
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X