Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 907

Thread: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

  1. #181

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    56,190

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The Border Patrol tells you how to evade the Border Patrol.

    https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...locations-faqs
    Net immigration to Mexico is negative. If you want the browns gone don't stop them.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming


  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    11,799

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    A lot to be said about Trump and that craziness. But here's a real threat and trend leading to potentially many threats:

    Hacker claims to be selling stolen NSA spy tools

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/tech...-tools-stolen/

    One key sentence for the last - Computer security experts noted that the vulnerabilities exploited by these hacking tools are at least three years old and might be stopped if people, corporations and governments keep their software updated.

    There are numerous government regulations, and if you're a major or financial company...you've got the economy, jobs, etc on the line. I'm wondering if we should consider a periodic 'stress test' type approach for companies to enforce critical players to keep their cyber up to date.
    Go Gophers!

  4. #184
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,801
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    There are numerous government regulations, and if you're a major or financial company...you've got the economy, jobs, etc on the line. I'm wondering if we should consider a periodic 'stress test' type approach for companies to enforce critical players to keep their cyber up to date.
    Well, yes. It's typically called a penetration test (insert joke here). The thing is, just like disaster recovery, few companies/agencies actually test in the production environment, because they are scared that the test will cause the very incident they're trying to prepare to avoid. I was just having this chat with someone else about Delta's major outage last week.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    11,799

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Well, yes. It's typically called a penetration test (insert joke here). The thing is, just like disaster recovery, few companies/agencies actually test in the production environment, because they are scared that the test will cause the very incident they're trying to prepare to avoid. I was just having this chat with someone else about Delta's major outage last week.
    Is that government monitored? Beginning to think it needs to be. A six month random government inspection or some such.

    This event alone should be a loud and clear warning of potential massive implications. Cyber security is becoming as much of a issue as violent terror itself - maybe more. Unlike terror, cyber impacts have a widespread nature should not be discounted. Some of my work related research on the future of the car pointed to the dangers of hacking. And frankly, if cyber hacks can impact air carriers...
    Go Gophers!

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Computer security experts noted that the vulnerabilities exploited by these hacking tools are at least three years old and might be stopped if people, corporations and governments keep their software updated.
    In DoD 3 years old still has that fresh new car smell. It's astonishing how old some systems used by the armed forces are.

  7. #187
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,801

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    In DoD 3 years old still has that fresh new car smell. It's astonishing how old some systems used by the armed forces are.
    Doesn't surprise me at all. There are companies in many industries that are desperately throwing money at guys in their 50s and 60s to support and maintain their 25-30 year-old legacy systems; the people with this knowledge are quickly aging out of the workforce.

    The cloud is a lie.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    56,190

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all. There are companies in many industries that are desperately throwing money at guys in their 50s and 60s to support and maintain their 25-30 year-old legacy systems; the people with this knowledge are quickly aging out of the workforce.

    The cloud is a lie.
    I know a guy who hired out as a specialist fixing FORTRAN code. He was particularly busy around Y2K. Some of the work was federal, but the big money was public utilities. I guess gas and electric control systems were some of the first to computerize and some of the last to get rid of their legacy systems.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #189
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,790

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I know a guy who hired out as a specialist fixing FORTRAN code. He was particularly busy around Y2K. Some of the work was federal, but the big money was public utilities. I guess gas and electric control systems were some of the first to computerize and some of the last to get rid of their legacy systems.
    The Federal Reserve started updating its Fedwire Securities processing system from 1983 just three years ago. Their scheduled completion date is November of 2018. This is the system that handles all of their investment grade notes, bills, and bonds.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    56,190

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Fun times with Our Amateur DHS Heroes.

    A middle school in Long Island, New York, is being sued by the family of a 12-year-old Muslim boy who was targeted for bullying by classmates who taunted him and called him a “terrorist” — harassment which school administrators allegedly followed up with some bullying of their own, forcing the boy to sign a “confession” that he supported ISIS and intended to blow up his school. Say, did we mention that the boy has severe learning disabilities? Yes, that, too.

    You’ll want to read the full story at Fusion, but here are the basics of the January 6 incident: Nashwan Uppal, a seventh-grader at East Islip Middle School, was in the school lunchroom when a group of older students began taunting him, calling him a terrorist, and asking him “what he was going to blow up next.” Nashwan, who’s Pakistani-American and suffers from “learning and communication impairments,” tried to move to another table. The bullies followed and kept verbally harassing him, continuing with the hilariously funny comments about him being a terrorist and demanding he tell them what he planned to blow up. According to the lawsuit, he didn’t even know what “terrorist” meant, but eventually, in an effort to make the bullies go away, told them he was a terrorist and would blow up a school fence

    ...

    Needless to say, this is where the Islamophobic Rage Monkeys will all agree the kid brought everything that followed on himself, because after all, he said he was a terrorist and was going to do terror on the school, right?

    Then the school administration got involved, and wouldn’t you love to read that the bullies were swiftly punished and referred to counseling for being budding sociopaths? But no, you read our headline, so you know what came next: The day after the bullying incident in the cafeteria, Nashwan was called to the principal’s office, where Principal Mark Bernard and Vice Principal Jason Stanton proceeded to give the poor kid the Third Degree, because OF COURSE that’s what you do with a kid who’s been in special education for seven years and suddenly says something completely out of character for him
    For those of you not from those parts, I am, and East Islip is Really White. Its claims to fame are, in order, (a) it was the town where we could drink when we were 14 and the girl we brought with us could drink as long as she was cute, (b) it has an airport that could completely solve the L.I. business traveler problem if it got its act together which it hasn't in 40 years and (c) it's next to Lake Ronkonkama, site of the bars from point (a) above, which is famous for being weirdly circular for a natural lake not caused by a meteor strike.

    It is the kind of town where Billy Joel is considered edgy and the locals are offended that rednecks get all the credit for parochial racism and try to make up for it. In a word, it sucks, and I am Jack's complete lack of surprise that this story originates from there.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-21-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  11. #191

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    A kid between 12 & 14 was the suicide bomber at the Turkey wedding that killed 20+ (sez the Turkish govt).

    Fear is the mindkiller....

  12. #192
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,467

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    A kid between 12 & 14 was the suicide bomber at the Turkey wedding that killed 20+ (sez the Turkish govt).

    Fear is the mindkiller....
    Come again?

  13. #193

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    American University in Kabul is under attack.

  14. #194

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    56,190

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Come again?
    twss
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  15. #195

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    When you try to invade Canada by sea, try to be sober.

    http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/w...ricans-276000/

  16. #196
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,467

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    When you try to invade Canada by sea, try to be sober.

    http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/w...ricans-276000/
    The Duchy of Grand Fenwick Wibberley have set their sites northward?

  17. #197

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    The Duchy of Grand Fenwick Wibberley have set their sites northward?
    The Allies needed over 4,000 landing craft at Normandy. That was part of the trouble -- insufficient resources.

    Or, come to think of it, a more rational (ha! me rational? Shirley you jest!) explanation eould be the losers of the general election were practising their escape to Canada.

  18. #198
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43,204

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,841

    Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I like your source, the Conservative Post, because it doesn't require me to think much and the stories are real juicy, like Star magazine or National Inquirer, except it's more about how Obama has a plan forcing us to use a new Arab currency by October 15 --things like that--instead of things like Maria Shriver having sex with monkeys, which she does according to one of those I read. People refuse to believe these things because they are sheeple. Not me. I have a mind.

    So yeah, the enemy is within. Our closets--everywhere. All you have to do is read.

  20. #200

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,152
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I like your source, the Conservative Post, because it doesn't require me to think much and the stories are real juicy, like Star magazine or National Inquirer, except it's more about how Obama has a plan forcing us to use a new Arab currency by October 15 --things like that--instead of things like Maria Shriver having sex with monkeys, which she does according to one of those I read. People refuse to believe these things because they are sheeple. Not me. I have a mind.

    So yeah, the enemy is within. Our closets--everywhere. All you have to do is read.
    Check out Binkley's closet recently?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •