This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

Just so I don't have to keep checking if a new thread has been started.

I'll leave this here:
    http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/god...way-1771288681

God farking dammit. He was the best writer on GMN. Sad to see him go, happy that he's moving up in the world...

Edit: Announcement for The Drive:
    http://www.timeinc.com/about/news/pr...video-network/

Edit 2: Probably his best article from Foxtrot. Worth a lunchtime read:
    http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...s-a-1741346156
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-20-2016, 11:42 AM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/no...-tower-n561686

Oops...
    Code:
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Reminds me of a Sven and Ole joke. I wonder which one of them was at the stick?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Reminds me of a Sven and Ole joke. I wonder which one of them was at the stick?
        Lena, obviously. Women drivers and whatnot.

*ducks*
        Code:

Comment

The pilot and the three officers had an immediate debrief with investigators
          I would have paid a non-trivial sum to have been present.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I would have paid a non-trivial sum to have been present.
            There are only a few instances in my life where I would pay a NTS to be present. I agree, this is one of them.

I don't know how much I can/should say about the other one right off the top of my mind. But it involved the CEO of my company and the CEO of another company we're working with and how it interrupted our operations for an entire country for months. That would have been interesting. (For the record, this was a number of years ago now.)
            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              There are only a few instances in my life where I would pay a NTS to be present. I agree, this is one of them.
              My college faculty advisor told me a NTS story 30 years ago that still stays with me. It's got a long set up but it's worth it.

Theatre lights are very expensive, VERY heavy (80-120 lbs), and there are a lot of them. They are attached by C-clamp to equally heavy metal pipes that run the width of the stage. Rather than have your (young, intern, inexperienced, stupid, hungover, stoned, all of the above) techies actually have to detach lights from the pipes thirty feet above the stage, pipes are part of automated systems that allow the entire rig to ascend and descend. The newer, better (as of the 1970s) ones automatically descend slowly proportional to the load, but the old, cheap, improvised or all three ones have a set of gear shifts where you actually engage a low gear, then throw the release and the loaded pipe descends.

My advisor was directing at a terrible regional rep theater. He was doing strike (i.e., taking down the set, the lights, etc at the end of the run -- the load out). Everybody was rushing around like an idiot and there was no union lighting guy present, or probably even on staff. His assistant stage manager was doing his first show. You know where this is going.

As soon as he threw the switch without engaging the gear, he knew what he'd done. According to my advisor he turned on his heel, walked out of the theatre, down the street, into a bar, and started drinking.

Amazingly, nobody was killed. The full lighting array (maybe 4 tons) went completely through the stage, also destroying the gearing of the revolving stage below it. Obviously, everything on the pipe was totalled. It came down fast enough that a girl who was working in the flies turned to put one gel away, then turned back to pick up the next one to nothing but empty space.

I'd have paid to see that.
              Last edited by Kepler; 04-25-2016, 02:54 PM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Holy ****.
                Code:

Comment

The White House estimate on civilian deaths due to drone strikes is out.

the Obama administration on Friday said that it believed that airstrikes it has conducted outside conventional war zones like Afghanistan have killed 64 to 116 civilian bystanders and about 2,500 members of terrorist groups.
                  So what does that make the real number? I'm going to assume a factor of ten: 640 - 1,160. IIRC the DOD estimated that the civilian death count from the invasion of Iraq was 15,000 and the real number was 150,000.
                  Cornell University

Comment

The US has surrendered. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-protect-obam/

Comment

Bangladesh, Bangladesh
                      Where so many people are dying fast
                      And it sure looks like a mess
                      I've never seen such distress

The religion of peace strikes again.

Ya think they read the IRA playbook?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

For being a "desperate" lot, between Istanbul and Bangladesh the "JV team" is having a pretty good week (by their uncivilized standards).

The bad news is this time (unlike Istanbul) they have hostages in Bangladesh.
                        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 07-01-2016, 03:51 PM.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          For being a "desperate" lot, between Istanbul and Bangladesh the "JV team" is having a pretty good week (by their uncivilized standards).

The bad news is this time (unlike Istanbul) they have hostages in Bangladesh.
                          ... and now Baghdad.
                          http://bigstory.ap.org/article/62b11...-bombing-iraqi
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

We can't deal with ISIS because we haven't a thing to wear?

The report cites one commander who said as forces got ready to deploy, 'during the course of three hours, he and his Marines changed in and out of their uniforms four times,' NBC reported.

State officials apparently were concerned about the optics of sending in heavily armed and easily identifiable Marines.
                            Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-civvies.html

A US Ambassador was missing and known (live feed) to be under fire and we're worried about whether our purse matches our shoes?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I think the JV is petitioning for varsity status.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X