Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
    With regard to reaction to prednisone, I fall into the "nothing" bin. I've taken it for conditions as disparate as asthma and poison ivy, and all it did for me was clear up the asthma attack and the poison ivy rash. My dog takes it for lymphoma, and seems hungry all the time. The doggie oncologist said that's a common side effect also (though I don't know if that just pertains to dogs). Two odd things for short courses, which, if your wife's familiar with it, will know. One is the dosage is odd. You take many pills the first day, maybe eight or more, then taper off so that by the end of the course you're taking only one or two. Second is that it's cheap. Last time I was charged an odd amount -- something like $3.72 when I'm used to paying a $10 or $20 co-pay. It's been around long enough that it's off-patent, and it's produced in volume.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
    Steroid psychosis can be the real deal. I had a patient clean every surface in their room all night. I had another patient who, after receiving a gram of prednisone, was doing pushups while we rounded on them (who was incredibly sick, hospice appropriate).

My own prednisone experience for a Bell's Palsy resulted in some wicked heart burn and noticeably worsened BO...which is lucky given what can happen.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    One is the dosage is odd. You take many pills the first day, maybe eight or more, then taper off so that by the end of the course you're taking only one or two.
    Here's the progression by day: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Long term users can get addicted,(might not be right term but), in order to get off Pred they taper very slowly. Maybe cut 1 or 2mg a week(daily dosage) and it can take months. Heck I just had an issue with my eye and was/is on steriod drops, I'm down to one drop a week trying to break away from that crap. Its common,cheap and it works but it can have long term consequences.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Long term users can get addicted,(might not be right term but), in order to get off Pred they taper very slowly. Maybe cut 1 or 2mg a week(daily dosage) and it can take months. Heck I just had an issue with my eye and was/is on steriod drops, I'm down to one drop a week trying to break away from that crap. Its common,cheap and it works but it can have long term consequences.
    Exactly right. Addicted could be used...essentially you go into withdrawal if you taper too quickly. This depends on the disease, the course, and the dose. Simply put, prednisone suppresses your own (endogenous) steroids and it takes time for your body to ramp back up. At its worse, you can go into adrenal crisis which very much life threatening (although very rarely happens under appropriate courses).

One of my favorite things about steroids is there is no correct way to taper. Ask 4 doctors, you will get 10 answers. So do not worry if it varies a bit

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

never meant to make you cry

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Bethselamin

A fabulously beautiful planet, Bethselamin is now so worried about the cumulative erosion by ten billion visiting tourists a year that any net imbalance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete whilst on the planet is surgically removed from your bodyweight when you leave: so every time you go to the lavatory there it is vitally important to get a receipt.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

McDonald's is removing the HFCS from their burger buns.

Call me crazy, but I don't think the average McDonald's patron gives a flying f-ck if their Big Mac bun contains HFCS or not.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Lucia Apologist

I have zero issues with HFCS. Like everything else it's fine in moderation.

It gets a bad rap because people don't understand what consequence mean.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I have zero issues with HFCS. Like everything else it's fine in moderation.

It gets a bad rap because people don't understand what consequence mean.
    I get your point, but I'm also fine with the elimination of sugar hiding in a hamburger bun (assuming they haven't replaced it with another form of sugar).

Yeah. Do it.

Closest I can think of is that early on its somewhat like drinking a lot of coffee. You get extra energy, may sleep less and might get some euphoria out of it. Some can be irritable (less likely when its short term). When you come down, you'll probably feel pretty wiped out. Its rough when its long term. That regiment shouldn't be a big deal.
    Go Gophers!

Guess all the effort went into climate change.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/08/1...quired-by-law/

Unfortunately the bronchitis seems to be hanging on after the first course. I had no negative side effects from the Prednizone but I'm not wild about re-upping based on what I have read here and elsewhere. However, I've been done with the course for a week now and the symptoms, which had dropped to near zero, are steadily climbing back up. And also, this is the science thread so I'm not going to let some anecdotes scare me off if it's the right prescription. So I'm checking back in with my doc on Monday and see what he says. He went to real med school (well, Columbia, but still...), I only went to USCHO Med School.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-20-2016 at 09:46 PM.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Unfortunately the bronchitis seems to be hanging on after the first course. I had no negative side effects from the Prednizone but I'm not wild about re-upping based on what I have read here and elsewhere. However, I've been done with the course for a week now and the symptoms, which had dropped to near zero, are steadily climbing back up. And also, this is the science thread so I'm not going to let some anecdotes scare me off if it's the right prescription. So I'm checking back in with my doc on Monday and see what he says. He went to real med school (well, Columbia, but still...), I only went to USCHO Med School.
    Stay at a Holiday Inn Express tonight.

Get well soon - there is something running around our neck of te woods. My FIL has a bug he can't shake either.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I wouldn't be scared off either(got to do what you got to do) but those anecdotes are well known side effects.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Did your doctor check for pneumonia? Asthma (actually if it is asthma, the pred should help, but the dosage may be different)?
    Last edited by CLS; 08-21-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Do not let the internet scare you away. Steroids are an incredibly common treatment for many different conditions. Just make sure you are with a doctor you trust, and bring up your concerns. Everything has a risk/benefit profile and good medicine is just trying to win that ratio.

Everybody who has ever watched a horror movie knows what to do: redirect this puppy right into the sun. Above all, on no account bring it back to Earth.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Time flies. Today is the 10th anniversary of Pluto's demotion.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Time flies. Today is the 10th anniversary of Pluto's demotion.
    That was a goofy decision.

Thread Information