Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 862

Thread: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

  1. #141
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,143
    Obama signed bill S.764, pretty much overturning Vermont's GMO labeling law.

  2. #142
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    33,600

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Obama signed bill S.764, pretty much overturning Vermont's GMO labeling law.
    Bought and paid for
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  3. #143
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,143
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Bought and paid for
    Typical Organic hooey.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,899
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Video of SpaceX performing a full length test firing of one of their returned first stages.

    I wonder, do the engineers and technicians on the ground ever get past the "I can't believe they pay us for this" stage of their employment?
    They don't pay you for the work - they pay you for putting up with Elon Musk's ego and the horrible work environment that he spawned. SpaceX is a terrible place to work.

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,705

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Got $130 + shipping to spare? It is not logical, but it is a great collectors item!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  6. #146
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,385

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Got $130 + shipping to spare? It is not logical, but it is a great collectors item!
    Whatever that site is, your link just got me dinged on the corporate firewall alert. Now my manager's going to have a conversation with me. Not kidding.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,521

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Obama signed bill S.764, pretty much overturning Vermont's GMO labeling law.
    Some friends and I were lobbying for an amendment to GMO labeling law to require that the definition of "genetic modification" include selective breeding. Half seriously, half subversively. Imagine if every item of food for sale had to be labeled as GMO.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,705

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Hmmmmm. I've read too much science fiction to be a fan.

    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...animal-embryos

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,705

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    The Prime Meridian is not where you think it is

    http://www.space.com/33583-moving-th...-on-earth.html

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    11,628

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Hmmmmm. I've read too much science fiction to be a fan.

    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...animal-embryos
    This is one of those things that on surface doesn't sound good...but nobody here (and maybe nobody alive) has any idea of the ramifications - positive or negative.
    Go Gophers!

  11. #151
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,701

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Whatever that site is, your link just got me dinged on the corporate firewall alert. Now my manager's going to have a conversation with me. Not kidding.
    Wow, your corporate firewall not only dinged you for a shopping site, but your manager has to talk to you about it? Sheesh.

    Only one I've discovered as "Blocked per Policy 57" thus far on my company laptop is Urban Dictionary, probably because of all the definitions of kinky sex practices & positions. That was a week ago, and not a peep from my boss. I doubt she knows or cares.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  12. #152
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,385

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Wow, your corporate firewall not only dinged you for a shopping site, but your manager has to talk to you about it? Sheesh.

    Only one I've discovered as "Blocked per Policy 57" thus far on my company laptop is Urban Dictionary, probably because of all the definitions of kinky sex practices & positions. That was a week ago, and not a peep from my boss. I doubt she knows or cares.
    There are mandatory discussions the managers are supposed to have with their staff when they hit these blocked sites - managers usually sort of glosses over them in a team meeting rather than the 1:1 discussions while making comment about corporate policy. Then someone will raise his/her hand declaring themselves guilty as charged. [Insert corporate laugh track here.] Sometimes you hear about the new manager who takes it all way too seriously until either getting worn down by it or their superior has a little discussion about how to chill out on the petty stuff.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  13. #153
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,701

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    There are mandatory discussions the managers are supposed to have with their staff when they hit these blocked sites - managers usually sort of glosses over them in a team meeting rather than the 1:1 discussions while making comment about corporate policy. Then someone will raise his/her hand declaring themselves guilty as charged. [Insert corporate laugh track here.] Sometimes you hear about the new manager who takes it all way too seriously until either getting worn down by it or their superior has a little discussion about how to chill out on the petty stuff.
    That's both funny and pathetic. Our notices even include this language:

    "Please note: Indenture's internal webfilters do not track or log Internet activity of individual employees."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    11,628

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    15 cool US military weapons. Yeah, I don't think accusations that the US military is decrepit hold much water.

    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/15...7G07KM.twitter
    Go Gophers!

  15. #155

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,206

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    15 cool US military weapons. Yeah, I don't think accusations that the US military is decrepit hold much water.
    The "hollow military" is a catch phrase used to increase funding. It's ridiculous. The US military could literally take out a coalition of the entire world.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  16. #156

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The "hollow military" is a catch phrase used to increase funding. It's ridiculous. The US military could literally take out a coalition of the entire world.
    Depends on the Rules of Engagement.

  17. #157

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,206

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Depends on the Rules of Engagement.
    I'm positing an all-out, we're not playing around here, conflict. Trump gets elected and nukes Mexico City. The rest of the world says, "OK, enough of that," and commits to regime change.

    We win that one. Not great for the world, but we win it.

    Everybody was so worried about the Krauts, when it was us all along...
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  18. #158
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,097

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Some friends and I were lobbying for an amendment to GMO labeling law to require that the definition of "genetic modification" include selective breeding. Half seriously, half subversively. Imagine if every item of food for sale had to be labeled as GMO.
    you know, I have no problem with GMO in theory. I'd probably use CRISPR to make a couple modifications to my DNA if the FDA approved it. I do have a problem with the reckless use of GMOs (weeds are becoming resistant to Roudup because of its overuse, "Roundup Ready" is the most common modification). There are environmental consequences of dumping massive amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer on our crops even if you think rinsing your strawberries under the faucet removes whatever chemicals were sprayed on them so there is no personal health consequence.

  19. #159

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,206

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

    So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  20. #160
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    33,600

    Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

    So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
    Pred ain't no joke, I hate that crap. Zpak makes me swell up like a balloon, allergic
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •