X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    In high school, we had a fast food setup. Cheeseburger, pizza, tacos, etc. Fountain pop, and a Coke machine outside the cafeteria. If you wanted healthy, there was a very small salad bar. I wish we had someone fighting for healthy lunches when I was in school.
    Mom usually packed my lunch, and it was usually a sandwich, crunchy carb, fruit, and dessert. She did far better than most.

Exception was pizza day.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      In high school, we had a fast food setup. Cheeseburger, pizza, tacos, etc. Fountain pop, and a Coke machine outside the cafeteria. If you wanted healthy, there was a very small salad bar. I wish we had someone fighting for healthy lunches when I was in school.
      When given options, few kids choose the healthy options. They don't think about it because most of them still have metabolisms and are active enough (at least when I was a kid) that they just plow through the calories without even trying. That means eating healthily wasn't a consideration, it was all about feeding the hunger. Looking back as an adult, well, different decisions would've been made.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My only wish? That they had tasty healthy options.

A great tasting salad would have done wonders for kids back in high school. Zupa's BBQ salad, for instance. It's not terrible for you and it's actually edible. Get kids started early on eating salads and eventually they'll find it easier to graduate to other green and leafy alternatives.

Same thing with the vegetables. Awful, bland. Throw in some salt and pepper and get some color on them. That they could actually taste good was revelatory for me.

I'll echo St. Clown. Looking back, I would have made many different decisions.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Beating obesity, what I see as problems, and what I did to defeat them. (In December 2003, I weighed 396 lbs)

1. We have sedentary jobs, then we're encouraged to come home, kick our shoes off, and watch Netflix until bed. We don't exercise. When I started losing weight from 396 pounds, I had to start with 30 minute walks on the treadmill. Now, sitting at 201, I'm ready to run my 14th marathon this Saturday, and completed a 33.5 mile ultra in April.

2. Growing up on the lower income side of things, I distinctly recall my vegetables at home coming from Del Monte, and when they weren't falling out of a can, the only other vegetables I got was the lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion on my McDonald's hamburger, or the tomato sauce from Pizza Hut/Domino's. When I got to NMU, in January 2004, I started making use of the salad bar and sandwich counter, which was better than the options I had at home or in high school.

3. Healthy eating was not modeled in my home. Ice cream was bought on a weekly basis, and we added to the noise by going out and ordering double scoops. Not to mention... we LOVED Little Debbie snack cakes. Got to college and listened to my fit friends instead. Ice cream was reduced from every day to once a week, if that.

4. Cooking from scratch? Processed food says that all we have to do is add water, bring to boil, and stir, or cut a hole in the paper, then microwave for 5 minutes. It wasn't until I got home from college that I started buying groceries and learning how to cook that my family started eating healthy. I still recall the arguments I had with my mom over Kraft Mac and Cheese.

5. Even our shows about food aren't modeling healthy eating. Remember Man vs. Food? And shows like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives show you where to get an obscenely sized burger. I started watching America's Test Kitchen instead.

6. Referring to point 3, hardly anyone modeled a healthy relationship with sugar with me. When I was fat, I ate dessert every day. But when I was anorexic (146 lbs in November 2009), I couldn't bear to touch the stuff. When I reintroduced the stuff in February 2011, no one showed how to add it back in, and to paraphrase Jurassic Park, I was so preoccupied with realizing I COULD make baked goods and candy that I didn't stop to think if I SHOULD.
          Last edited by MissThundercat; 06-22-2017, 12:20 AM.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

She'd still be alive if she used coconut cream for a whipped topping
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...am-siphon.html
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              She'd still be alive if she used coconut cream for a whipped topping
              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...am-siphon.html
              Now I know you're trolling.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Now I know you're trolling.
                But he's not wrong.

Comment

If you want to make inroads on obesity... flip the cost of vegetables and boxed macaroni and cheese. The links are there between being poor and obese.

As for diet gurus in this country: I'm aware. People are desperate. Anything to squeeze into their old little black dress or jeans from college. And so, the Whole30, and the Belly Fat Cure, Wheat Belly, and Bulletproof are born. The fact of the matter is, putting 700 extra calories of fat in your coffee isn't going to help anything. You want to follow my path? Prepare to bust your *** and make smart decisions, a fact that is lost on so many people...

As for the "Best Diet" nonsense I'm hearing now: The fact of the matter is, the "Best Diet" is the one that works for you and that you can stick with over the long term.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Oh man, I love Kraft Mac & Cheese.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also, diets don't work. Move your ***.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I was low-fat/fat-free, until it led to anorexia, and the fact that I just couldn't take it any more. My body in 2010 just about gave up on me.

Comment

This is my "diet" (way of life):

If it supports my goals, I eat more of it. So, lots of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, full fat dairy, legumes, and lean protein, with the occasional ribeye.

If it does not support my goals, I eat less of it: Sugar, Clif bars, and alcohol fall here. In fact, I cut drinking to one day a week.

No counting, no measuring, and my friends actually will eat with me. When I was anorexic.. I was alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Exercise alone isn't enough, while calories in and out matter how the human body processes those calories in is just as important.

The problem is that the typical American diet contains far to many processed foods that are high in salt, sugar, and fat but low in nutritional content.

It doesn't matter what popular diet you are on, cut out the highly processed foods and you will likely lose weight and feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              Exercise alone isn't enough, while calories in and out matter how the human body processes those calories in is just as important.

The problem is that the typical American diet contains far to many processed foods that are high in salt, sugar, and fat but low in nutritional content.

It doesn't matter what popular diet you are on, cut out the highly processed foods and you will likely lose weight and feel better.
                              feeling better is such a huge component of this...breaking that cycle of feeling crappy makes it a ton easier to start working on the other parts...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

John Oliver...

Didn't get polio today! So lit.

Comment

Working...
                                X