Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Kep

If you still have twitter, check out @Aerodork
    Wonderful. Reminds me of this.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Once paralyzed, now once again he has the sense of feeling through his prosthetic limb. http://www.infowars.com/a-miraculous...to-feel-again/

I wish I could put this in the Genuinely Nice Planet, but alas, the idiots have already ruined the comments section...

Comment

Putting this here because, meh, why not? I have never been quite so proud to be human. Teela Brown may have been bred to be lucky, but we as a species share one superlative characteristic not present anywhere else in the universe: the ability to just go with it.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Has Jill Stein boycotted this thread yet?

Comment

CO2 -> C2H6O

http://aleteia.org/blogs/the-daily-c...-into-ethanol/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              That's awesome. Now the question is can they capture all the CO2 emissions from any plant and convert it all to ethanol? That would offer up the ability to have zero emissions for a coal burning plant.

http://www.popsci.com/grain-alcohol-...xide-and-water
              http://ethanolproducer.com/articles/...ions-into-fuel
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                That's awesome. Now the question is can they capture all the CO2 emissions from any plant and convert it all to ethanol? That would offer up the ability to have zero emissions for a coal burning plant.

http://www.popsci.com/grain-alcohol-...xide-and-water
                http://ethanolproducer.com/articles/...ions-into-fuel
                What value would that coal plant have? It would just be converting coal into ethanol.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                  What value would that coal plant have? It would just be converting coal into ethanol.
                  Germany in WWII was converting coal into fuel oil. The technology was lost (destroyed?) after the war.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

The bad news is in the conclusion:

We report an electrocatalyst which operates at room temperature and in water for the electroreduction of dissolved CO2 with high selectivity for ethanol. The overpotential (which might be lowered with the proper electrolyte, and by separating the hydrogen production to another catalyst) probably precludes economic viability for this catalyst, but the high selectivity for a 12-electron reaction suggests that nanostructured surfaces with multiple reactive sites in close proximity can yield novel reaction mechanisms. This suggests that the synergistic effect from interactions between Cu and CNS presents a novel strategy for designing highly selective electrocatalysts. While the entire reaction mechanism has not yet been elucidated, further details would be revealed from conversion of potential intermediates (e. g. CO, formic acid and acetaldehyde) in future work.
                    Emphasis mine.

Also, the Faradaic efficiency seems to be good but not great at 63%.
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 10-18-2016, 04:01 PM.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The bad news is in the conclusion:

Emphasis mine.
                      If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to do it cheaper/better.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Interesting discussion on 538 about a proposal to release genetically-modified male Aedes aegypti mosquitos in one of the Florida Keys. When these males breed, their offspring die before reaching adulthood.

Females are not supposed to be released because only females suck human blood, the males do not. The sorting by sex before release is not 100% perfect, which is one of the considerations.

Other discussion points include which federal agency to regulate the test and how to inform the public and obtain their support.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Interesting discussion on 538 about a proposal to release genetically-modified male Aedes aegypti mosquitos in one of the Florida Keys. When these males breed, their offspring die before reaching adulthood.

Females are not supposed to be released because only females suck human blood, the males do not. The sorting by sex before release is not 100% perfect, which is one of the considerations.

Other discussion points include which federal agency to regulate the test and how to inform the public and obtain their support.
                          USDA did that with the screwworm flies a ways back in Texas and other parts of the South. They irradiated the flies, making them sterile and then released a huge amount in the area where the flies had an infestation. The females bred, but with no viable bullets, they laid infertile eggs. After a number of applications, no more infestation and no more flies.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/oc/timeline/worm/
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                            You would hopefully eliminate the use of corn. Which is a horrible crop for the environment.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              You would hopefully eliminate the use of corn. Which is a horrible crop for the environment.
                              Use of corn for energy? Or just in general. Because the first is laughable until lobbyists are dead. The second is laughable until we're all dead.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Watching the Euro Space Folks and their Mars Lander Coverage. What a difference from NASA!

NASA (JPL) gives us play by play on the landing. The Euros are, cripes I have no idea what they're doing.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X