• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

This may be the 21st Century Black Death

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ached-the-u-s/
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      This may be the 21st Century Black Death

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ached-the-u-s/
      Doctors: does resistant to antibiotics of last resort mean forever or is it possible to discover / synthesize new ones? And if you feel like going on at greater length, why does the analysis of a bug not mean also knowing how to stop it? Are they too complicated, or is it like a code where just because you see the coded message doesn't mean you can decode it?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Doctors: does resistant to antibiotics of last resort mean forever or is it possible to discover / synthesize new ones? And if you feel like going on at greater length, why does the analysis of a bug not mean also knowing how to stop it? Are they too complicated, or is it like a code where just because you see the coded message doesn't mean you can decode it?
        Personally, I'd play with the bacteria's genome to see if I could render it inert. Drugs always lead to another resistant strain.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm not a doctor, but I read this story a while back that's relevant to your first question.

Comment

There was an entirely new potential class of antibiotics discovered within the last year or so. I have absolutely no idea where it is within the drug process. But they discovered this one in dirt. Hundreds (thousands?) of samples of dirt inoculated with bacteria.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Harvard (sucks!) researchers think we're going about the research path for preventing Alzheimer's Disease entirely the wrong way.

Researchers at Harvard this week offered a new theory of Alzheimer’s Disease that - if true - would upend our understanding of the disease and suggest new routes for treatment and prevention.

The researchers think that the immune system may play a key role in the development of Alzheimer’s, which slowly robs people of their memory and is eventually fatal.

A protein called beta amyloid, long considered the bad actor in Alzheimer’s, actually plays a positive role in fighting off bacteria and fungus in mice, worms and cells, the researchers showed in a new paper in Science Translational Medicine.

Assuming that’s also true in people, it suggests that getting rid of amyloid, as some drug trials have tried, could be dangerous, and approaches that stimulate the immune system could be safer and more effective.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Fair warning, off the cuff answer and I also am not an infectious disease doc. Resistant to antibiotics of last resort means the the bacterium is resistant to the one or so antibiotics we have to treat an already resistant bug. There are a few bugs that have one or two antibiotics left that we can actually use to treat them with and in some cases, they have not seemed to develop resistance in the same pattern because it is too large of an evolutionary step to hurdle. Oddly enough, sometimes if an antibiotic falls out of favor because of resistance, a bacterium can drift back to being susceptible to the disused antibiotic depending on the mechanism of susceptibility. This is because resistance is sometimes energy taxing to the bug and if they are not pressured, they will jettison the energy intensive traits that do not provide a selective advantage. It is always possible to discover new ones but we have fully used the proverbial "low hanging fruit" of antibiotics based on our current understanding of microbiology.

We know how to stop all bugs...the problem is selectively killing the bug and saving the organism around it. Per XKCD, a handgun will kill bacteria in a petri dish.

There are a few antibiotics that require infectious disease consults to prescribe because they are the "big guns" and our last resort to a few bugs. We use them very selectively because almost without fail, the more you use a drug, the more resistance will develop. Evolution is a *****. It is helpful to have the ID docs as gate-keepers because at times a caring physician will use some antibiotics inappropriately in patients who are having a poor hospital course as a last resort. I have used these last resort antibiotics a few times and usually they did not alter the clinical course, the patient was sick enough it probably did not matter and we were trying everything we had, even though they were prescribed within the infectious disease community's guidelines.

Interestingly, I recently read a report regarding public thoughts on antibiotic resistance. The prevailing opinion of the "lay public" was antibiotic resistance was more of an individual problem as in "antibiotics wont work as well in me in the future" instead of "Everyone has the chance of getting a bug that we cannot treat." Helps explain why people still want antibiotics for a viral illness.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Personally, I'd play with the bacteria's genome to see if I could render it inert. Drugs always lead to another resistant strain.
                Altering a bacteria's genome is helpful in many ways but unless you are doing it to all of the bacteria that are resistant at the same time (or have a drug to do it which is pretty improbable), they will squeak by and continue to infect people.
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

This cannot be unseen.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

God **** you. Why didn't you warn me?!
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      This cannot be unseen.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
                      "I have a degree in homeopathy!"
                      "You have a degree in baloney!"
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Trending on Facebook...................

Confused Rush Limbaugh Can’t Figure Out Why Gorillas Still Exist
                        Right-wing radio host claims evolution should have turned all gorillas into people.
                        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0757eaeb10be0
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

How do people this dumb actually make it through the day without wandering into traffic?

In no way am I even semi-literate in biological science, but a ninth grade understanding of evolution takes care of this old creationist canard.

Note: I have sympathy with people who have literally just never been taught correct biology. Christianist madrassa home schooling implies this group will always exist, as pseudo-science is passed down generation to generation, much like Scientology families producing Scientology kids. I work with several people like this. It is possible for people to be intelligent and function in the real world while being as clueless about basic science as I am about astrophysics. Compare how uneducated most people are in basic math.

But Rush is obviously well aware of real science and he either is too dumb to understand it or, by far the more likely explanation, is a big fat fake ripping off his credulous audience.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2016, 09:20 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A 12yo Mexican kid makes a vaccination/autism video and it's phenomenally well researched in support of the link.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I guarantee this will be reported as "child proves link between vaccines and autism" by the Usual Suspects*.

* BTW, isn't it nice that on this one thing it's not left vs right? Both the Marin County affluenza fruit loops and the Jesus Freak shut-ins keep this thing alive. Maybe we can get bipartisan support to put them all on the B arc and shoot it into the sun?
                              Cornell University

Comment

I guarantee this will be reported as "child proves link between vaccines and autism" by the Usual Suspects*.

* BTW, isn't it nice that on this one thing it's not left vs right? Both the Marin County affluenza fruit loops and the Jesus Freak shut-ins keep this thing alive. Maybe we can get bipartisan support to put them all on the B arc and shoot it into the sun?
                                Not exactly that, though the kid is now the target of anti-vaxxers, and is getting doxed.
                                https://karenvaxblog.wordpress.com/2...omment-page-1/
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X