Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

wubba lubba dub dub

Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Harvard (sucks!) researchers think we're going about the research path for preventing Alzheimer's Disease entirely the wrong way.

Researchers at Harvard this week offered a new theory of Alzheimer’s Disease that - if true - would upend our understanding of the disease and suggest new routes for treatment and prevention.

The researchers think that the immune system may play a key role in the development of Alzheimer’s, which slowly robs people of their memory and is eventually fatal.

A protein called beta amyloid, long considered the bad actor in Alzheimer’s, actually plays a positive role in fighting off bacteria and fungus in mice, worms and cells, the researchers showed in a new paper in Science Translational Medicine.

Assuming that’s also true in people, it suggests that getting rid of amyloid, as some drug trials have tried, could be dangerous, and approaches that stimulate the immune system could be safer and more effective.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Doctors: does resistant to antibiotics of last resort mean forever or is it possible to discover / synthesize new ones? And if you feel like going on at greater length, why does the analysis of a bug not mean also knowing how to stop it? Are they too complicated, or is it like a code where just because you see the coded message doesn't mean you can decode it?
    Fair warning, off the cuff answer and I also am not an infectious disease doc. Resistant to antibiotics of last resort means the the bacterium is resistant to the one or so antibiotics we have to treat an already resistant bug. There are a few bugs that have one or two antibiotics left that we can actually use to treat them with and in some cases, they have not seemed to develop resistance in the same pattern because it is too large of an evolutionary step to hurdle. Oddly enough, sometimes if an antibiotic falls out of favor because of resistance, a bacterium can drift back to being susceptible to the disused antibiotic depending on the mechanism of susceptibility. This is because resistance is sometimes energy taxing to the bug and if they are not pressured, they will jettison the energy intensive traits that do not provide a selective advantage. It is always possible to discover new ones but we have fully used the proverbial "low hanging fruit" of antibiotics based on our current understanding of microbiology.

We know how to stop all bugs...the problem is selectively killing the bug and saving the organism around it. Per XKCD, a handgun will kill bacteria in a petri dish.

There are a few antibiotics that require infectious disease consults to prescribe because they are the "big guns" and our last resort to a few bugs. We use them very selectively because almost without fail, the more you use a drug, the more resistance will develop. Evolution is a *****. It is helpful to have the ID docs as gate-keepers because at times a caring physician will use some antibiotics inappropriately in patients who are having a poor hospital course as a last resort. I have used these last resort antibiotics a few times and usually they did not alter the clinical course, the patient was sick enough it probably did not matter and we were trying everything we had, even though they were prescribed within the infectious disease community's guidelines.

Interestingly, I recently read a report regarding public thoughts on antibiotic resistance. The prevailing opinion of the "lay public" was antibiotic resistance was more of an individual problem as in "antibiotics wont work as well in me in the future" instead of "Everyone has the chance of getting a bug that we cannot treat." Helps explain why people still want antibiotics for a viral illness.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Personally, I'd play with the bacteria's genome to see if I could render it inert. Drugs always lead to another resistant strain.
    Altering a bacteria's genome is helpful in many ways but unless you are doing it to all of the bacteria that are resistant at the same time (or have a drug to do it which is pretty improbable), they will squeak by and continue to infect people.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

This cannot be unseen.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Lucia Apologist

God **** you. Why didn't you warn me?!

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    This cannot be unseen.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    "I have a degree in homeopathy!"
    "You have a degree in baloney!"

Trending on Facebook...................

Confused Rush Limbaugh Can’t Figure Out Why Gorillas Still Exist
    Right-wing radio host claims evolution should have turned all gorillas into people.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0757eaeb10be0
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

How do people this dumb actually make it through the day without wandering into traffic?

In no way am I even semi-literate in biological science, but a ninth grade understanding of evolution takes care of this old creationist canard.

Note: I have sympathy with people who have literally just never been taught correct biology. Christianist madrassa home schooling implies this group will always exist, as pseudo-science is passed down generation to generation, much like Scientology families producing Scientology kids. I work with several people like this. It is possible for people to be intelligent and function in the real world while being as clueless about basic science as I am about astrophysics. Compare how uneducated most people are in basic math.

But Rush is obviously well aware of real science and he either is too dumb to understand it or, by far the more likely explanation, is a big fat fake ripping off his credulous audience.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

wubba lubba dub dub
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

I guarantee this will be reported as "child proves link between vaccines and autism" by the Usual Suspects*.

* BTW, isn't it nice that on this one thing it's not left vs right? Both the Marin County affluenza fruit loops and the Jesus Freak shut-ins keep this thing alive. Maybe we can get bipartisan support to put them all on the B arc and shoot it into the sun?

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I guarantee this will be reported as "child proves link between vaccines and autism" by the Usual Suspects*.

* BTW, isn't it nice that on this one thing it's not left vs right? Both the Marin County affluenza fruit loops and the Jesus Freak shut-ins keep this thing alive. Maybe we can get bipartisan support to put them all on the B arc and shoot it into the sun?
    Not exactly that, though the kid is now the target of anti-vaxxers, and is getting doxed.
    https://karenvaxblog.wordpress.com/2...omment-page-1/
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Not exactly that, though the kid is now the target of anti-vaxxers, and is getting doxed.
    https://karenvaxblog.wordpress.com/2...omment-page-1/
    That was an interesting link.

When I first watched the kid's video link provided by Kep, like pretty much everyone else I thought it was a very clever and well-made video. I did wonder, however, the extent to which it was a set up by larger forces. I just assumed maybe the kid had a parent or someone who was in the medical or drug field. It just struck me as odd that a kid this age would go ahead and make this video.

This should be good for multiple levels of social media ranting by both sides for weeks.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

If she says "I thought there would be no math," find another.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...into-your-80s/

If she says "I thought there would be no math," find another.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...into-your-80s/
    ....while complete ignorance of math is not an impediment to finding employment as a reporter. These type of articles just infuriate me. "A correlates with B" does not mean A causes B, nor vice versa! Maybe living in blue houses causes people to have sex later in life and be good at math? Just as plausible as "maths can boost your sex life."
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

I really hope so (Dr. Mrs. has MS). There is a special place in hell for giving false hope to disease sufferers and this seems like a clickbait site, but again, let's hope so.

The Lancet reference gives me a little bit of hope.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

SpaceXisms

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    Ascent phase & satellites look good, but booster rocket had a RUD on droneship
    RUD = Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

wubba lubba dub dub

SpaceXisms

RUD = Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly
    Patsy Cline released a song about RUDs, it was titled I Fall to Pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Patsy Cline released a song about RUDs, it was titled I Fall to Pieces.
    Velvet Revolver also did a song called "Fall to Pieces."
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Did Janet Jackson have an RUD at the Sooper Bowel?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Did Janet Jackson have an RUD at the Sooper Bowel?
    That was totally an RSD.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information