This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    I'll sit back and watch for a bit and enjoy this apparent lucky streak I'm on.
    You're not on a lucky streak. You're a free rider on the backs of millions who have gone before you and followed the protocol to the point that messing with the protocol incurs very little (but nom-zero) personal risk that your child will develop a vaccine-preventable disease. You're the co-worker who comes late, leaves early, does no work in between, and then says, "Isn't it lucky that this project succeeded?"

Thanks to people like you making their own "best" choices, the prevalence of basically every vaccine-preventable disease is on the rise. You want to participate in society? Pull your weight. You want to mess with bringing back diseases, go do it on a desert island somewhere.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      I'm not sure how much more repetitive I can be on this and keep pointing out that I left out key details on my situation on purpose.
      Then you have no one to blame but yourself for supposedly being misunderstood. But one can only speculate that if you did intentionally leave out key details it's because it helps your cause in this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        When I was a lad, there were no vaccines and I got measles, chicken pox and mumps all before 4th grade. .
        German measles also. I can remember getting a vaccine at school with some kind of "gun" everyone shared that same tool to get the vaccine, imagine that today? Of course it was a Catholic school so we were all saints anyway
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          German measles also. I can remember getting a vaccine at school with some kind of "gun" everyone shared that same tool to get the vaccine, imagine that today? Of course it was a Catholic school so we were all saints anyway
          That German measles shot was a b-tch. The TB tine test was OK, but the GM shot made my arm hurt for a day.

You guys got vaccinated in school? That's interesting -- never heard of that before; darn good idea, though.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            That German measles shot was a b-tch. The TB tine test was OK, but the GM shot made my arm hurt for a day.

You guys got vaccinated in school? That's interesting -- never heard of that before; darn good idea, though.
            I had German measles so doubt I got vaccine? The gun left 4 holes in your upper arm ,shoulder, not sure we got?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I had German measles so doubt I got vaccine? The gun left 4 holes in your upper arm ,shoulder, not sure we got?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              The shot I am remembering was just one injection from a gun that looked like a f-cking bicycle tire pump. It was a quick sharp pain followed by a deep, deep ache. I could not lift my arm for at least an hour, and the ache felt like it was in the bone, and persisted for 24 hours. Made me scared to go the doctor for a long while after.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

my kid's school administers annual flu vaccinations, but not the others that they expect them to get from their regular provider on the CDC schedule

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  I on the other hand do not support this as a right. And this is why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

I believe in science. What Tiggsy has done is not science by any way, shape, or form. Is science always right? No. But, if we do the best we can with what we know we generally come out pretty good.
                  I believe in science too. That's why I posted to Tiggsy that I wouldn't make the same choice he did.

But the simple fact is I don't believe society has a right to impose it's will on my body, to tell me what I have to or can't do to it. Whether that's an abortion, feeding tubes and artificial breathing apparatus at end of life, organ donations or vaccinations. There may be excellent and scientific reasons supporting society's position. There may even be life or death events outside of my own that hang in the balance of my decision. But it's my body. Any anyone who says that society gets to choose with respect to vaccinations, but on some of the others your body is sacrosanct, well in my opinion those people are hypocritical.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I believe in science too. That's why I posted to Tiggsy that I wouldn't make the same choice he did.

But the simple fact is I don't believe society has a right to impose it's will on my body, to tell me what I have to or can't do to it. Whether that's an abortion, feeding tubes and artificial breathing apparatus at end of life, organ donations or vaccinations. There may be excellent and scientific reasons supporting society's position. There may even be life or death events outside of my own that hang in the balance of my decision. But it's my body. Any anyone who says that society gets to choose with respect to vaccinations, but on some of the others your body is sacrosanct, well in my opinion those people are hypocritical.
                    This isn't a your body thing. If you don't get vaccinated it's everyone else who suffers. See the difference? You have people in Africa begging for these vaccines. We're lucky in this country in that regard.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This isn't a your body thing. If you don't get vaccinated it's everyone else who suffers. See the difference? You have people in Africa begging for these vaccines. We're lucky in this country in that regard.
                      No. It is a "your body thing." You are insisting on the right to declare what gets injected into Tiggsy's kids, and when. It may be a very good idea to follow your suggestion. It probably has a great benefit to the public at large. No doubt the consequences of getting measles, etc..., are much greater than the risks of side effects of these vaccines. But there are tiny risks of severe side effects completely unrelated to autism. There may also be religious beliefs in play.

Sorry, you don't get to choose. Because if you get to choose here, then maybe we choose to take that extra kidney of yours and save a life.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        No. It is a "your body thing." You are insisting on the right to declare what gets injected into Tiggsy's kids, and when. It may be a very good idea to follow your suggestion. It probably has a great benefit to the public at large. No doubt the consequences of getting measles, etc..., are much greater than the risks of side effects of these vaccines. But there are tiny risks of severe side effects completely unrelated to autism. There may also be religious beliefs in play.

Sorry, you don't get to choose. Because if you get to choose here, then maybe we choose to take that extra kidney of yours and save a life.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-man...tate-reqs.html

And next time someone gets quarantined against their will I don't want to hear any complaints from anyone. You exert your right to not vaccinate you also lose your right not to be imprisoned.
                        Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

So I take it you are also in favor of legalization of all drugs? Or are you hypocritical as well?

We the people explicitly asked the federal government to promote the general welfare of the country. I don't see how anyone could argue that disease eradication through perfectly safe vaccines falls outside the bounds of that goal.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Someone show me where I said I know better than the CDC? Good grief. I still am puzzled by the outrage because my kids all received their vaccinations. Completely up to date. So my kids will not be the source of an outbreak and be a danger to the public health. Yes, I delayed some of the vaccines by a few weeks or months. But that is over with. This all happened years ago before most of these studies disproving the autism link were completed. Is that really what the issue is here? For less that a couple of months you are all concerned that my kids would be patient zero in a massive outbreak of measles? To the point that you're ready to impose a quarantine on them?

Interesting point Scooby brought up about the increased seizure risk. Exactly one of my kids has experienced seizures. Want to take a guess which one? I know, how dare my situation not follow the conventions you are all preaching to me. Watching your child have a seizure for the first time was one of the worst moments of my life. I don't wish that on anyone, ever. However, so is having a child with severe autism. He is nothing like Rain Man, which is what most people usually think of when they hear autism. My other kids don't get to lead normal lives because of their older brother. We don't get to go on family vacations, we don't get to go out to dinner together, they don't want to bring their friends over to our house, and after we are gone it will be up to them to decide how to care for their brother. That is a huge burden to put on your own kids. I also don't wish that on anyone. It's not fair to them and they may not get to live the lives they want, but they will look out for their family. Sadly that is actually one thing that came into consideration as to why our family is relatively large. To share the burden of caring for him in the future. It is obviously not the only reason, but it did come in to play.

The way I saw the choice was increasing the chance of them getting measles by 1%, or reducing the chance of developing autism by even 5%. With hyper awareness and constant input from doctors, knowing what to look for in case any of these diseases manifested, it was an easy decision. Call me wrong or uninformed. But at the time that's about what the belief was. Science had not confirmed anything yet as it was still a new issue. We made our choices, did what we did, and it has turned out fine for the rest of our family so far. If anyone still wants to preach to me F you all. Then I will introduce you to my son. Spend some time with him. Imagine daily life dealing with his issues, violent outbursts, and trying to communicate with him. After that you tell me that you wouldn't make the same decision.

Comment

Please point to the scientific study that says you reduced the rate of autism by 5% by changing the CDC guidelines. I want to see it. I posted all the reasons that immunizations can be delayed. If any of your children fell into that are (seizure being a severe reaction) then great, that follows the guidelines. But don't put yourself into any delusion that you decreased the risk of autism. There is zero evidence to support your claim and it feeds frenzy to other parents not to follow the guidelines. Not following the guidelines has brought measles back in Minnesota. Something that had been eradicated.

Comment

Please point to the scientific study that says you reduced the rate of autism by 5% by changing the CDC guidelines. I want to see it. I posted all the reasons that immunizations can be delayed. If any of your children fell into that are (seizure being a severe reaction) then great, that follows the guidelines. But don't put yourself into any delusion that you decreased the risk of autism. There is zero evidence to support your claim and it feeds frenzy to other parents not to follow the guidelines. Not following the guidelines has brought measles back in Minnesota. Something that had been eradicated.
                                I pulled that number out of the air as an example. Thought that was clear. You keep getting hung up on the fact of all these current studies. 10+ years ago, it wasn't common knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X