This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    From what I've heard from my daughter (cast member for three years), you don't want to know.

Disney is a truly amazing operation. It's Singapore for kids.
    As an accountant, I'd love to see how they handle the money. The amount of daily cash deposits has to be huge and a target for thieves.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

As some engineers claimed here five years ago, solar will never be consequential.

Oh except for a new solar farm that will power 20,000 homes and which is located in that solar hotbed of Minnesota. Other than that...

http://kstp.com/news/solar-project-c...123/?cat=12196
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        As some engineers claimed here five years ago, solar will never be consequential.

Oh except for a new solar farm that will power 20,000 homes and which is located in that solar hotbed of Minnesota. Other than that...

But wouldn't a solar farm of this size hasten tbe decline of the sun?

Who shovels the snow?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

And all it took was to make it "...one of the largest solar facilities in the country with more than 440,000 solar panels spanning 1,000 acres near North Branch." That's only 1.526 square miles of solar panels! I bet they're dirt cheap to purchase, too.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            And all it took was to make it "...one of the largest solar facilities in the country with more than 440,000 solar panels spanning 1,000 acres near North Branch." That's only 1.526 square miles of solar panels! I bet they're dirt cheap to purchase, too.
            All drops in the bucket. And 'dirty cheap' is far less than indefinitely burning fossel fuels.

Is one million homes inconsequential? Clown will have to be greatest perfectionist in history once we get to the 2020s.

http://www.healthnutnews.com/worlds-...mes-in-nevada/
            Go Gophers!

Comment

All drops in the bucket. And 'dirty cheap' is far less than indefinitely burning fossel fuels.

Is one million homes inconsequential? Clown will have to be greatest perfectionist in history once we get to the 2020s.

http://www.healthnutnews.com/worlds-...mes-in-nevada/
              Building a solar plant in arid Nevada is a lot different than building one in MN. You understand that, right?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                If what Jimjamesak says is true, Disney might be the only sucessful cat herding operation on the planet!
                Unsure of Disney World, but they are at Disneyland.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Building a solar plant in arid Nevada is a lot different than building one in MN. You understand that, right?
                  I do. The claims you guys have been making against solar for years is that it well never be consequential in the United States due to 'barriers that can never be crossed due to physics'. Obviously science has and will always continue to obliterate 'barriers of physics'.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

I do. The claims you guys have been making against solar for years is that it well never be consequential in the United States due to 'barriers that can never be crossed due to physics'. Obviously science has and will always continue to obliterate 'barriers of physics'.
                    That's not how physics works.

Comment

That's not how physics works.
                      Well then evidently powering a million homes with solar means physics not working. Lynah spent all this time showing all these numbers of how solar panels would never amount to anything. I never understood that logic. Scientific improvement never stops.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Well then evidently powering a million homes with solar means physics not working. Lynah spent all this time showing all these numbers of how solar panels would never amount to anything. I never understood that logic. Scientific improvement never stops.
                        No, we don't "obliterate 'barriers of physics'," we learn more about how various things in our world interact with one another to make them work better within the laws of physics. We continue to grow our understanding of how the physical world works.

And you're forgetting - or intentionally omitting - a key component to everyone's arguments against solar energy: the cost of collecting, storing and transmitting it when compared to other forms of energy production. Look at the cost/unit of solar vs. that of other forms. It's still prohibitive for truly large scale usage. One million homes contain a population of around four million people. We have more than 330MM people in the US, so you're thumping your chest at meeting just over 1% of our energy needs, and that solar farm is located in one of the best possible locations in this country for its production. The efficacy rate of land usage vs. energy production in MN will be nowhere near as high. Try building one of these things in Seattle.

Comment

And you're forgetting - or intentionally omitting - a key component to everyone's arguments against solar energy: the cost of collecting, storing and transmitting it when compared to other forms of energy production. Look at the cost/unit of solar vs. that of other forms. It's still prohibitive for truly large scale usage.
                          Accounted for.

One million homes contain a population of around four million people. We have more than 330MM people in the US, so you're thumping your chest at meeting just over 1% of our energy needs, and that solar farm is located in one of the best possible locations in this country for its production. The efficacy rate of land usage vs. energy production in MN will be nowhere near as high. Try building one of these things in Seattle.
                          Nearly 10% of California's household consumption from one solar farm by one energy company? Amazing. Now solar is a failure if it doesn't power Seattle?
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Got to love the "its expected" part. So it will meet all their electrical needs, day and night for 20,000 homes?
                            Look I'm all for solar, I'll bet I'm the only guy on here who actually uses Solar to heat hot water and uses it to help heat 2 different buildings. I'm also taken classes to get NABCEP certified as a PV installer. I found out I wouldn't try to sell a PV system to anyone who wasn't out to save the planet. It doesn't work right now. if Tesla battery packs will get it so you can go off grid then I'm all for it. Until then "simple math" takes solar off the table . That certainly doesn't mean in the future it won't work. Instead of alternate energy, conservation will do more for less in the immediate future. How you get folks to do that is beyond me?

I'm all for these solar farms but until I see the actual amount of energy they really produce they are a losing proposition
                            Last edited by walrus; 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Got to love the "its expected" part. So it will meet all their electrical needs, day and night for 20,000 homes?
                              Look I'm all for solar, I'll bet I'm the only guy on here who actually uses Solar to heat hot water and uses it to help heat 2 different buildings. I'm also taken classes to get NABCEP certified as a PV installer. I found out I wouldn't try to sell a PV system to anyone who wasn't out to save the planet. It doesn't work right now. if Tesla battery packs will get it so you can go off grid then I'm all for it. Until then "simple math" takes solar off the table . That certainly doesn't mean in the future it won't work. Instead of alternate energy, conservation will do more for less in the immediate future. How you get folks to do that is beyond me?

I'm all for these solar farms but until I see the actual amount of energy they really produce they are a losing proposition
                              Nearly every technology that has gotten to this stage has had glitches. But nearly every technology that has gotten to this stage of development has turned out to be a global standard. It will happen and those that take the lumps will be heavily rewarded...with the rest of society reaping huge benefits. And the US needs to be in the drivers seat. Services, content and new technology. We win in those areas or the whole country turns into Akron.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Nearly every technology that has gotten to this stage has had glitches. But nearly every technology that has gotten to this stage of development has turned out to be a global standard. It will happen and those that take the lumps will be heavily rewarded...with the rest of society reaping huge benefits. And the US needs to be in the drivers seat. Services, content and new technology. We win in those areas or the whole country turns into Akron.
                                Once again you need to examine the numbers, the amount of Electrical energy consumed in the US. Lifestyle changes will be needed for solar to be a standard in the US. I make solar work for me because I can install it and service it.. That isn't going to be true for most folks.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X