X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    FreshFish-I asked a solar guy.

First, if the shingles are close to replacement, replace them. Second, it costs $500 to take the solar down and reinstall when you get a new roof.
    Bull **** on the 500 bucks
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      If I were an inventor, I'd find a way to embed solar fibers into roofing shingles (sort of like how one can now put an electric heating grid under a tile floor before they lay down the tile above it, but flip-flopped). Then, every time a person needs a new roof, they can get a two-fer quite easily; you only have to hire one crew once instead of two1.

It seems to me a mis-use of solar to link it to a national grid at all. I'd think a localized mix of whatever works best in a certain area would make more sense. Every building have its own solar for its own use, with the excess shared / stored locally. Having too widespread a grid tied into all sorts of different generating technologies risks kluge effects that we might never unwind, and it also is a serious threat to national security.

1 When people have solar panels on top of their roofing shingles, what do they do when it comes time to replace the shingles? Do they have to disconnect the panels and remove them, replace the roof, and then put them back up? Somehow that detail never makes it into the sales literature....
      You need to do the math if you think solar can be everything to everyone. If Musk can come up with the battery pack he has talked about at the price point he talked about then maybe you can do your own thing off grid. Doing grid tied means your neighbor is paying for the lines coming down the street but you don't as your usage off the grid is minimal. Having tons of people with grid tied systems makes it hard to balance what generating plants need to be online and when they need to be online. On the other hand have grid tied panels when there is a heat wave puts valuable juice into the grid when it really needs it.

there are already roofing systems with solar built in. Not sure how they work. I believe they are less efficient than good panels

Comment

question for science peeps

at the end of independence day 1, will sets off that nuke in the mother ship and escapes, only to have to fly out of the explosive cloud.
        so....
        how does that cloud exist?

doesn't fire need oxygen?
        isn't there NO oxygen IN space?

does a nuke create oxygen? through atom deconstruction?

always confused mookie.

thanks for your expert replies
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          question for science peeps

at the end of independence day 1, will sets off that nuke in the mother ship and escapes, only to have to fly out of the explosive cloud.
          so....
          how does that cloud exist?

doesn't fire need oxygen?
          isn't there NO oxygen IN space?

does a nuke create oxygen? through atom deconstruction?

always confused mookie.

thanks for your expert replies
          There was a debris field - that was a pretty big ship. But how do you show a debris field in space? So they did, IMO, stretch the science.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            There was a debris field - that was a pretty big ship. But how do you show a debris field in space? So they did, IMO, stretch the science.
            so is it on fire? burning out of control?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              so is it on fire? burning out of control?
              The blast would generate heat. Something will glow with the heat, but did the atmosphere on the mother ship (if there was one) support combustion? And will the atmosphere expand to support any combustion? Got me.

In SciFi, the standard way to end a fire on a spaceship is to dump the air in the compartment(s) to space. That will put out the fire (unless it is electrical).
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

The blast would generate heat. Something will glow with the heat, but did the atmosphere on the mother ship (if there was one) support combustion? And will the atmosphere expand to support any combustion? Got me.

In SciFi, the standard way to end a fire on a spaceship is to dump the air in the compartment(s) to space. That will put out the fire (unless it is electrical).
                well they did use air as we know it, so a healthy majority mix of oxygen and nitrogen i recall.

the exploded field, that wouldn't have any acceleration (or increase in velocity)? would it?
                the explosion would set it on a course and with no gravity or friction it would continue at the original speed until it reached earth's (or another planets) atmosphere.

so in theory with the spacecraft at max speed (couple times speed of light?). how fast would an atomic explosion initially propel shrapnel?

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  well they did use air as we know it, so a healthy majority mix of oxygen and nitrogen i recall.

the exploded field, that wouldn't have any acceleration (or increase in velocity)? would it?
                  the explosion would set it on a course and with no gravity or friction it would continue at the original speed until it reached earth's (or another planets) atmosphere.

so in theory with the spacecraft at max speed (couple times speed of light?). how fast would an atomic explosion initially propel shrapnel?
                  At 2c you'd be past the moon in 1 second. And movies forget that in order to slow down your have to decelerate in order to stop. That takes time, too. There are no disk brakes according to Newton.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

At 2c you'd be past the moon in 1 second. And movies forget that in order to slow down your have to deaccellerate at the in order to stop. That takes time, too. There are no disk brakes according to Newton.
                    Are we talking about the aliens? Because if they got here they have FTL, and that opens the door to any pretend nonsense they want.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Are we talking about the aliens? Because if they got here they have FTL, and that opens the door to any pretend nonsense they want.
                      will smith was flying their spacecraft, so yah mookie guesses he is talking that.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Bull **** on the 500 bucks
                        Amen. You can't get a contractor to step foot on your property for $500.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          Amen. You can't get a contractor to step foot on your property for $500.
                          I'll step on it for 500 but I aint taking 20 panels off it, all the wiring, the racking system which are lag bolted to rafters, getting off and then put it all back up. Especially on a new roof where every step is going to leave a mark for some homeowner to whine about( which is why I don't work for residential customers). Its worse than a new install as you had to take it off also.
                          Last edited by walrus; 07-22-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Fascinating piece on decoherence and the arrow of time.
                            Wow! Great article. If you didn't read this, you should. If you want the Cliff Notes version: Entropy Rules

It's been 30+ years since I've read more than a blurb about quantum mechanics but the author made most if not all of it fathomable. I'm always in awe of people who can take a complex idea and make it understandable by those who aren't well versed in the principles involved. I strive to do that daily in my job.
                            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                            Groucho Marx
                            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                            Ron White
                            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                            Milo Bloom

Comment

"Smaller molecules"
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Stuff on Pluto (some math)

https://blogs.nasa.gov/pluto/?s=
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X