• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    This doesn't sound good:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...are/348418001/

1/3 of honeybee colonies died last year. Is that a lot? That sounds like a lot.

ETA: Then you get past the sensationalist headline and find the real story
    Well who needs bees? Or plants? Or animals?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

CRISPR May Not Be Nearly as Precise as We Thought

I don't think this is that surprising. DNA is astonishingly complex and trying to make a cut at a unique and specific chemical bond is hard in a chemical that is orders of magnitude less complex.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

CRISPR May Not Be Nearly as Precise as We Thought

I don't think this is that surprising. DNA is astonishingly complex and trying to make a cut at a unique and specific chemical bond is hard in a chemical that is orders of magnitude less complex.
        we use CRISPR heavily in mice. I wrote some software that is used as part of a high throughput pipeline to develop large numbers of gene "knock outs". There is a lot of work that goes into designing CRISPR guides that minimize the potential for off-target effects -- and then there is downstream lab work to "verify" that the deletion happened where they expect. I'm not quite ready to have CRISPR used on me, but I think that time is coming soon...

Comment

Science in the US died a little more today.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Meh, science is transnational. If the US divests then whoever picks up the slack will be the big winner. The US may decide to be the Ming dynasty and go up its own as-s, but if so the species will march forward somewhere else.

We had a good run, but as we fall behind the world in freedom and tolerance, we should also fall behind in science. The most powerful country should be the most free. If the US turns into a police state it should become a poor, failed state. Not as punishment. Not even for the laughs. Just to protect the rest of the world.

In so many ways the US blew it in 1980. There was a clear choice but the orcs rose up, and since then it's been a freefall towards neofeudalism and a new Dark Age. We can pull out of it but with every year the damage is probably five years to fight our way back, which means we've already taken a 150-year dead end and counting.

The US may have been marked for death right from the beginning by its founding by racist sociopaths, who knew and cared enough to demand and enshrine liberty, but still had a sickness that prevented them from seeing the misery and enslavement right in their kitchens. That combined with the fundies always meant America has lived its entire history with 2 strikes. We only got to fail once, and when we did in 1980 that might have been it.

But look, my genes are Slav and Viking. This place was quite nice for a century, but 2 generations down the line it might just be another Old Country.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Science in the US died today.
              It was a good run, America.

Comment

Memories...
                My bomb is bigger than yours!!!

http://worldwarwings.com/infographic...y-mindblowing/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not to worry.

Plus, the wine is excellent!
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Please tell me that's real.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://gizmodo.com/mathematicians-re...-gl-1795758857

When I read most Gizmodo articles I can usually understand the math to some extent. This article went so far over my head I couldn't even hear the woosh.
                      Code:

Comment

http://gizmodo.com/mathematicians-re...-gl-1795758857

When I read most Gizmodo articles I can usually understand the math to some extent. This article went so far over my head I couldn't even hear the woosh.
                        I may have misunderstood the article (not the math, I didn't even try the math) but it came across to me like several academics having a normal, fairly polite back-and-forth and the writer trying to portray it as a knock-down drag-out like plate tectonics.

That paper, though. This is such a beautiful subject.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Please tell me that's real.
                          Well, Macron definitely said that - I heard it first on NPR, then looked up an article. Whether or not it becomes actual French policy remains to be seen.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

It's tempting
                            Code:

Comment

And apparently, sticking wasps' nests up your vag is now a thing. This ranks right up there with Gwyneth Paltrow telling women to steam their vag, or put jade eggs up there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7766376.html
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Dear ladies: Vaseline is not supposed to go in there. Says for "external use only." Anyway, Vaseline and other vaginal products are being linked to infections.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-va...92J14F20130320
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X