X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I make solar work for me because I can install it and service it.. That isn't going to be true for most folks.
    But if you can do it that means a whole service industry will start to grow up around installing and servicing it. I can't wire my house, either. That skill cliff is a business opportunity, not an impediment to the technology.

Here's a nice table showing the adoption trend lines of various techs. The "half-life" (0 to 50% of consumers) of telephones was 30 years; for the internet it was 15 years. I'm taking as the starting line cost effectiveness, since if a tech is not cost effective trending remains at zero. Whenever it is we hit cost effectiveness for renewables generation of electricity, the installation won't be an important barrier.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      But if you can do it that means a whole service industry will start to grow up around installing and servicing it. I can't wire my house, either. That skill cliff is a business opportunity, not an impediment to the technology..
      Thats why I got NABCEP certified but what I found out after doing that was the technology is still years out. The tech that is there works but the payback still isn't. I'm old and can't/won't do that roof work so I'm not going to cash in on solar but someone will. I can wire your house also but residential work sucks so I don't do it
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

But if you can do it that means a whole service industry will start to grow up around installing and servicing it. I can't wire my house, either. That skill cliff is a business opportunity, not an impediment to the technology.

Here's a nice table showing the adoption trend lines of various techs. The "half-life" (0 to 50% of consumers) of telephones was 30 years; for the internet it was 15 years. I'm taking as the starting line cost effectiveness, since if a tech is not cost effective trending remains at zero. Whenever it is we hit cost effectiveness for renewables generation of electricity, the installation won't be an important barrier.
        walrus, this may not help you now. But Kep's senario will happen - pretty much every new tech hits the same curve. Large installations are and will continue to make solar a top energy standard for even household installations. Doesn't help the small household installer today.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

You know the industry is working when the con sounds more like, "wishful thinking" than the pro. Sad and embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Well then evidently powering a million homes with solar means physics not working. Lynah spent all this time showing all these numbers of how solar panels would never amount to anything. I never understood that logic. Scientific improvement never stops.
            You rang?

I've been off the board for several weeks (school, work), and just happened to come into this thread first...coincidence?

It's absolutely hysterical that you think that providing part of the power for 20,000 homes (less than 1% of the 2.4 million housing units in Minnesota) somehow constitutes "amounting to something." Going back to the math (which I realize is not your friend), average insolation in Minneapolis for fixed flat panels is only 4.6 KWh/m2/day (http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...sum2/14922.txt). If the panels are 15% efficient (generous), then that's an average of just 5KW that can be delivered to each of the 20,000 homes, which is enough to run the microwave, a couple hair dryers, and some lights. Peak electricity usage for a typical single family home is on the order of 20-30 KW.

So tell us again how this is consequential - because of how big it is and how much money they spent on it? Kind of proving my point for me, there....
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              You rang?

I've been off the board for several weeks (school, work), and just happened to come into this thread first...coincidence?

It's absolutely hysterical that you think that providing part of the power for 20,000 homes (less than 1% of the 2.4 million housing units in Minnesota) somehow constitutes "amounting to something." Going back to the math (which I realize is not your friend), average insolation in Minneapolis for fixed flat panels is only 4.6 KWh/m2/day (http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...sum2/14922.txt). If the panels are 15% efficient (generous), then that's an average of just 5KW that can be delivered to each of the 20,000 homes, which is enough to run the microwave, a couple hair dryers, and some lights. Peak electricity usage for a typical single family home is on the order of 20-30 KW.

So tell us again how this is consequential - because of how big it is and how much money they spent on it? Kind of proving my point for me, there....
              20,000 homes for one installation in Minnesota is pretty good. Did you read any subsequent posts?

Since you presented information saying that solar would never be viable, CA went from producing 0.7% of its household needs in 2012 to 7.6% in 2015. And the 2015 numbers don't include the massive installations that have begun since then (globally 2015 averaged a half million solar installations every day http://grist.org/briefly/half-a-mill...y-day-in-2015/). Likewise CA solar alone peaked this summer powering 6 million homes...that's about 5 percent of the total US households. And as the below article below states, there is a single installation being considered that by itself would power 1% of total US households. And every day, solar expands its reach. Still not sure how math says that is will never be viable.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

The Polar Vortex will be shifting away from its normal location this winter due to climate change, according to Martyn Chipperfield, professor of atmospheric chemistry at the University of Leeds. It's expected to center over Europe, which is supposed to make it very cold for the northeastern portion of the United States while giving Europe a moderate winter.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  The Polar Vortex will be shifting away from its normal location this winter due to climate change, according to Martyn Chipperfield, professor of atmospheric chemistry at the University of Leeds. It's expected to center over Europe, which is supposed to make it very cold for the northeastern portion of the United States while giving Europe a moderate winter.
                  Climate Change is a hoax.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Didn't NOAA just say it was going to warmer than usual this winter

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Didn't NOAA just say it was going to warmer than usual this winter
                      Depends where you live.

drier, warmer winters in the southern U.S and wetter, cooler conditions in the northern U.S.
                      But in any case we're talking about different contributors to the weather: La Nina vs Polar Vortex. The Mets will win more because their pitching is great but they will lose more because their hitting sucks. Those are not contradictory statements.

If these are the sole contributors (which they obviously aren't -- weather is complicated) it looks like hockey country is in deep sh-t.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Screw Global Warming! This is uber important!!!!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/25/ub...eers/?ncid=rss
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Screw Global Warming! This is uber important!!!!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/25/ub...eers/?ncid=rss
                          Meh. It's Bud, let me know when they move a decent beer...

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Meh. It's Bud, let me know when they move a decent beer...
                            Redstones led to Saturn Vs.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Depends where you live.

But in any case we're talking about different contributors to the weather: La Nina vs Polar Vortex. The Mets will win more because their pitching is great but they will lose more because their hitting sucks. Those are not contradictory statements.

If these are the sole contributors (which they obviously aren't -- weather is complicated) it looks like hockey country is in deep sh-t.
                              You forgot the IF in front of your quote. IF La Nina sets up . let it come either way, its still going to be winter and its still going to be long and cold.

Comment

A team of astronomers believes that strange signals emanating from a cluster of stars are actually aliens trying to tell the universe they exist.

The study, which appeared in the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, analyzed the odd beams of light from 234 stars — a fraction of the 2.5 million that were observed.

The bizarre beacons led the paper’s authors, Ermanno F. Borra and Eric Trottier from Laval University in Quebec, to conclude that it’s “probably” aliens.

They also note that their findings align with the Extraterrestrial Intelligence (ETI) hypothesis, since the mysterious activity only occurred in a tiny fraction of stars. The hypothesis also suggests that an intelligent life force would use a more sophisticated optical beacon than, say, radio waves to reveal its existence.

But there are more skeptics than not, including the authors themselves, who acknowledge the hypothesis still needs work. For starters, the data needs to be verified by at least two other telescopes and all natural causes need to be ruled out.

“Although unlikely,” the study notes “there is also a possibility that the signals are due to highly peculiar chemical compositions in a small fraction of galactic halo stars.”
                                Newspaper story cited this link for the original paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1610/1610.03031.pdf
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X