X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Nice piece on why AA/12 step programs are ineffective.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...m_source=atlfb

I attended Overeaters Anonymous, and it was repeatedly stressed that if you deviated from the "3 meals a day, nothing in between" philosophy, you were doomed to be a compulsive eater.
    AA works for people who want Jesus to take the wheel. There are plenty of those people, they're the vast majority. They believe in supernatural powers surrounding us like electrical fields for good or ill and that if you please/resonate with/appease the good ones you can tap their power. It's the basis for all animism, which seems to have been the default human superstition.

I think AA really does work for those people -- their philosophy allows them to find a behavioral handle which then drives neurological outcomes. Literally, God bless em -- if it works, do it.

As with almost everything the best seller approach isn't going to work with the outliers who aren't like that. We need other ways. I personally recommend endless hedonistic sex and/or not rooting for the Islanders. Both those things would seem to keep the demons at bay.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      AA works for people who want Jesus to take the wheel.
      That's pretty much it right there. Steps 1-3 tell you you're powerless and need to submit to a god (and if you don't agree then you're in denial). Steps 4-7 are about confessing your sins. Steps 8-9 tell you to ask other people for forgiveness. Step 10 tells you to study the book, attend meetings, and go to confession regularly. Step 11 tells you to pray often. Step 12 tells you to go forth and preach to others. It's pure faith healing. That works for some people, but there are also a lot of folks who are just there to get their court papers signed, or because their spouse told them it was this or a divorce, etc.

The good news is, medicine and psychology are starting to change their tune on the "terminal disease" model of addiction. There's a long way to go yet though.

Comment

• You can now buy GMO-free cat litter.

https://www.nongmoproject.org/blog/the-good-earth-pet-product-earns-non-gmo-project-verification

Also, Ketel One vodka is now Non-GMO verified. Ooh, now I can get drunk with sanctimonious stamps!
        Last edited by MissThundercat; 09-24-2017, 04:03 PM.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          You can now buy GMO-free cat litter.

https://www.nongmoproject.org/blog/t...t-verification

Also, Ketel One vodka is now Non-GMO verified. Ooh, now I can get drunk with sanctimonious stamps!
          Gluten-free toilet paper.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That sounds far too sand-papery for anyone with a functional anus to support.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Also, Tom Brady believes drinking water prevents sunburn.

http://deadspin.com/tom-brady-thinks-drinking-a-lot-of-water-prevents-sunbu-1818625600
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Interesting thing in regards to sunburn:

I know numerous people at my job that are from India, as does the wife. They all say they never had a big issue with sunburn there. Now that they are in Minnesota, they must use sunscreen or get burned just as anyone else does.

The hell? Does the smog and/or the humidity block the harmful radiation that causes it? Seems unlikely, but I truly have no clue.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I know numerous people at my job that are from India, as does the wife. They all say they never had a big issue with sunburn there. Now that they are in Minnesota, they must use sunscreen or get burned just as anyone else does.

The hell? Does the smog and/or the humidity block the harmful radiation that causes it? Seems unlikely, but I truly have no clue.
                  My immediate thought is they are hyper-vigilant in India and then relax when they return to Minny and don't take simple precautions.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Also, Tom Brady believes drinking water prevents sunburn.

http://deadspin.com/tom-brady-thinks...nbu-1818625600
                    Shirtless - enclose your links around (url) and (/url) (sub [ ] for ( ) ). That way we get a working link.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's like alpine skiing. They get the added effect of the rays that are bounced off all that whitey white skin around them.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        It's like alpine skiing. They get the added effect of the rays that are bounced off all that whitey white skin around them.
                        Brilliant! It makes sense.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I was going to say the horrid pollution. Pollution can block a lot of sunlight very quickly.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

One of science's long-time mysteries is finally solved.... (sorry, no link handy).

On July 20, 1969, as commander of the Apollo 11 lunar module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, "That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," were televised to earth and heard by millions. But, just before he re-entered the Lander, he made the enigmatic remark "good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival soviet cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people questioned Armstrong as to what the 'good luck, Mr. Gorsky' statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995, in Tampa bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question about Mr. Gorsky and this time he finally responded because his Mr. Gorsky had just died, so Neil Armstrong felt he could now answer the question. Here is the answer to "Who was Mr. Gorsky?”

In 1938, when he was a kid in a small mid-western town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit the ball, which landed in his neighbor's yard by their bedroom window. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Sex! You want sex?! You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!" It broke the place up.

Neil Armstrong’s family confirmed that this is a true story.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              One of science's long-time mysteries is finally solved.... (sorry, no link handy).
                              You could try this one.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I didn't even have to look it up to know Fish had been reading through the chain e-mails in his inbox again.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X