Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I can't wait to see Deadspin's article claiming that this is somehow MLS' fault.
    Surprised it isn't up yet. I figured Haisley had that kind of stuff ready made.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

I'm listening to a replay of yesterday's Counterattack on SiriusXM and one of the commentators threw out a lineup saying that that current pool screams 3-5-2.

-----------Dempsey-------Wood-------------
    ----------Jones---Bradley---Nagbe----------
    --Johnson---------------------------Yedlin---
    --------Besler-----Brooks----Cameron------

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 06-07-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I'm listening to a replay of yesterday's Counterattack on SiriusXM and one of the commentators threw out a lineup saying that that current pool screams 3-5-2.

Thoughts?
    That would open things up for Bradley and allow him to be more offensively minded. Combine that with Nagbe and it gives us more striking capability... Downside is that it could open us up to a liability in transitional play/fast break possibilities... At this point might as well start Frankenstiening things...

Anywho, about to head down to start tailgating before the match... Not sure if anyone else is going, but it should be a fun one... Either way today and Philly on Saturday will be an experience for me...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Drunkard

Thoughts?
    So basically Nagbe for Zardes and Besler for Bedoya, then move the new guys back a bit to allow Fabian and Yedlin to play up?

I like that this pushes Yedlin and Johnson forward into positions that they've played well for their clubs. My memory of Besler's defending isn't great, though. I was more impressed with Zardes than I was with Bedoya, but otherwise I see this as a good improvement.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    So basically Nagbe for Zardes and Besler for Bedoya, then move the new guys back a bit to allow Fabian and Yedlin to play up?

I like that this pushes Yedlin and Johnson forward into positions that they've played well for their clubs. My memory of Besler's defending isn't great, though. I was more impressed with Zardes than I was with Bedoya, but otherwise I see this as a good improvement.
    Yeah, I'm not sure who the best would be at "left back" in this formation but overall, I think it fits this team better...giving more chances for Yedlin and Johnson to trade off getting involved in the offense.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Drunkard

Yeah, I'm not sure who the best would be at "left back" in this formation but overall, I think it fits this team better...giving more chances for Yedlin and Johnson to trade off getting involved in the offense.
    I don't know enough about these guys to say who's best in the left/right back position vs. central defense, and I have to confess that I don't know the rest of the bench very well (hadn't really even heard of Castillo or Birnbaum before, and only vaguely recognize Orozco's name, despite those three having nearly 50 caps between them), so I'm a bit at a loss to know who would be the right people to fill the job.

Looking through the "recent call-ups" list on Wikipedia and I see some curious omissions. Some of them are retired and/or probably past their prime (Beasley, Spector, Evans), some are injured (Chandler might have otherwise been a shoo-in, yes?), and some probably aren't as good as I thought they are/were/could be (Lichaj, Ream). But I had thought Gonzalez and Miazga would've been locks to be on this roster over some of the others. It's likely that I simply don't recall who exactly were the weak links in Brazil and the 2015 Gold Cup, and maybe I'm guilty of believing the hype for Miazga when he's still a work in progress.

I figure either Klinsmann is a mystery or "he saw something in training" or one of you more knowledgable followers of the USMNT can shed some light as to the makeup of the squad when one of our biggest weaknesses seems to be leaving off (to my less knowledgeable eye) potentially better players.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

One glaring thing in this first half: It's Jones going forward and not Bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    One glaring thing in this first half: It's Jones going forward and not Bradley.
    I guess the boys want Jurgen as coach.

Great half, hideous uniforms. Black? And the red is more like purple.

Thoughts?
    I read a great comment somewhere today to the effect of "unfortunately the positives of Zardes almost doing something good are offset by the negatives of him almost doing something bad." That nails how I've been feeling about that guy, constantly looking like he's about to do something, and then never doing it.

I loved his work rate last night. I couldn't believe how many times I said "how is he there when he was just all the way up there." So I love him for that and even hesitate to take him off and lose that but he just outright doesn't have the skill to play at this level - wasted multiple, glaring scoring chances, dribbles to nowhere, constantly gets knocked down or dispossessed in the slightest traffic. I'm not sure I'd even have him on the bench let alone in the starting lineup going 90 minutes.

Generic Catchy Message

Pretty simple now. Just tie and advance. Unless Costa Rica comes out and beats Colombia by 6.

In Group B, a lot could happen, but it will be a combination of Brazil, Peru, and Ecuador.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

Go State! Beat USA U18
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

I really don't know anything about Paraguay. Will a clear and defining result (positive or negative) against them do anything to Jurgens position?

Reading about things the referee crew for the Mexico - Jamaica game tonight is a crew thrown together of the reserve referees and ARs from different countries. *show potential is very high.

Ah the well behaved English and French football fans. It must be time for Euro 2016!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...e-ahead-of-eu/

Mexico is going to * around and win this tournament...

Capt

England just England'd. Lol.

Come on Clint, need to put that one on net.

Capt
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Come on Clint, need to put that one on net.
    From your mouth to Clint's ears to the twine.

1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    From your mouth to Clint's ears to the twine.

1-0.
    Yup, he didn't let that beautiful feed go to waste!

Smile Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

John Brooks had a pretty good game.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Thread Information