This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Agreed. And Liverpool, I'm wondering how many changes they will make, the owner is not known for patience, especially after they lose to Sevilla.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Well, for starters I think everyone under the sun is reporting that they're after Mario Gotze.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Giuseppe Rossi regrets choosing Italy over US per agent.

Well, sucks to be you Giuseppe.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I suspect it does not in any way suck to be him.

It sounds like his real problem has been injury. That would have affected him the same on the USNT.

I don't really see what he's saying.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So where do y'all have the US finishing in Copa?

The way I see it, it's gonna take 6 points to get out of the group. Columbia can realistically walk with 9 points, so the key game for the US is going to be June 7th vs Costa Rica. Simply a "must win" in pretty much any scenario for both teams. Not sure about Paraguay. Watched a bit in their friendly against Mexico before the US/Bolivia match on Sat, but couldn't tell much. They're the wildcard in all this.

The US has to get to at least a quarterfinal. It's home turf and the competition is beatable. We're also going with a "Senior" roster, so they know the deal having been to 1-2 World Cups. Personally I'd rather us play our kids and have them get experience for Russia, but that's me. If we did that, anything past group play would be gravy. The Senior team has expectations though. We can make a Semi-final. That would be the high water mark however.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I suspect it does not in any way suck to be him.

It sounds like his real problem has been injury. That would have affected him the same on the USNT.

I don't really see what he's saying.
              His club prospects would likely be drastically different. He almostly certainly would've been on the 2010 WC team (likely being in the role Charlie Davies played in the 2009 Confederations Cup) that would've raised his profile plus the potential of an MLS spot now.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                His club prospects would likely be drastically different. He almostly certainly would've been on the 2010 WC team (likely being in the role Charlie Davies played in the 2009 Confederations Cup) that would've raised his profile plus the potential of an MLS spot now.
                Also, the injuries were karma.

I cannot prove this but it seems right.

If he wants to come to MLS, he gets an international roster slot. Ever thus to traitors.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

If he wants to come to MLS, he gets an international roster slot. Ever thus to traitors.
                  Why would that be true? Wouldn't he still have US Citizenship? I doubt he renounced it?
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

Shirtless is correct, Rossi would be a domestic player and not take up an international spot as he still has US Citizenship.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Also completely forgot Rossi was offered a chance at the 2006 World Cup squad. That certainly would've altered his club career prospects.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        So where do y'all have the US finishing in Copa?

The way I see it, it's gonna take 6 points to get out of the group. Columbia can realistically walk with 9 points, so the key game for the US is going to be June 7th vs Costa Rica. Simply a "must win" in pretty much any scenario for both teams. Not sure about Paraguay. Watched a bit in their friendly against Mexico before the US/Bolivia match on Sat, but couldn't tell much. They're the wildcard in all this.

The US has to get to at least a quarterfinal. It's home turf and the competition is beatable. We're also going with a "Senior" roster, so they know the deal having been to 1-2 World Cups. Personally I'd rather us play our kids and have them get experience for Russia, but that's me. If we did that, anything past group play would be gravy. The Senior team has expectations though. We can make a Semi-final. That would be the high water mark however.
                        How many teams are taking it seriously? Brazil seems set on the Olympics. I would assume the CONCACAF teams are taking it seriously since they don't usually get to compete, but the CONMEBOL teams just played in it last year and while it is special being the Centenario, it's not even being held on South American ground. If most besides Brazil are taking it seriously, I'm not even sure if we get out of group play, unless Costa Rica's loss of Navas is that crucial.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          How many teams are taking it seriously? Brazil seems set on the Olympics. I would assume the CONCACAF teams are taking it seriously since they don't usually get to compete, but the CONMEBOL teams just played in it last year and while it is special being the Centenario, it's not even being held on South American ground. If most besides Brazil are taking it seriously, I'm not even sure if we get out of group play, unless Costa Rica's loss of Navas is that crucial.
                          I think you're underestimating how big a deal this is...at least from my perspective, this is basically America's Cup. Granted, I guess your point is that South American countries already believe their superior to CONCACAF, but I have a feeling that in some form, this tournament is going to live on and become The America's version of the Euros ever 4 years. It would be amazing if CONCACAF/CONMEBOL were able to settle on some kind of format.

2018 World Cup
                          2019 Gold Cup/Copa America
                          2020 America's Cup
                          2021 Confed Cup?
                          2022 World Cup
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I think you're underestimating how big a deal this is...at least from my perspective, this is basically America's Cup. Granted, I guess your point is that South American countries already believe their superior to CONCACAF, but I have a feeling that in some form, this tournament is going to live on and become The America's version of the Euros ever 4 years. It would be amazing if CONCACAF/CONMEBOL were able to settle on some kind of format.

2018 World Cup
                            2019 Gold Cup/Copa America
                            2020 America's Cup
                            2021 Confed Cup?
                            2022 World Cup
                            That would be a great set up. I just didn't know if CONMEBOL was upset that their tournament was essentially bought to be held in the US. Although that could provide motivation, too.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So a standard U.S. clusterfark on defense tonight. Give up the early goal, take a dumbass handball in the box, screw up your own set pieces, and find yourself trailing 2-0 at the half at home.

Comment

When can we move on from klinsmann?

Comment

Working...
                                X