This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Who's the new coach? Somebody from the BPL?
    Oscar Pareja, coach at FC Dallas. Has done absolutely fantastic despite limited salary budget. Tactically very smart.

Guus Hiddink, manager at many teams, notably S. Korea in 2002.

Those would be the top two.

Doesn't matter though, Gulati is wedded to Klinsmann.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      DO NOT play the "talent pool" card. This CR lineup was largely MLS players and the US started what? 5 players from the Bundesliga? These two games are all on Klinsmann.
      So what if it is?
      Just because the U.S. has guys from better leagues does not mean they are a better team or that individually the players from the Bundesliga are vastly superior to the CR guys from MLS.
      One U.S. coach who held the job for any significant amount of time has a better record than Klinsmann and that's Arena.
      I get you hate him...you've made that clear...but I don't think a simple coaching change...changes anything for this team.
      I dont think the talent is there...especially on the backend ir at keeper.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        FOX is going to be annoyed that they're paying billions of American dollars for an international event in the middle of the night with no American team.
        Won't they be early AM (east coast) as Russia is about 8 hrs ahead of us?

Knowing Putin, he'll put the US games in Siberia.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          So what if it is?
          Just because the U.S. has guys from better leagues does not mean they are a better team or that individually the players from the Bundesliga are vastly superior to the CR guys from MLS.
          One U.S. coach who held the job for any significant amount of time has a better record than Klinsmann and that's Arena.
          I get you hate him...you've made that clear...but I don't think a simple coaching change...changes anything for this team.
          I dont think the talent is there...especially on the backend ir at keeper.
          Did you watch? Do you know soccer? The US is tactically inept and that's on Klinsmann. He plays players in wrong positions, he plays the wrong players, tinkers with his lineup and experiments during WCQ games, constantly blames players and takes zero responsibility himself.

The US is better than getting walloped 4-0 in a World Cup Qualifying game.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Did you watch? Do you know soccer? The US is tactically inept and that's on Klinsmann. He plays players in wrong positions, he plays the wrong players, tinkers with his lineup and experiments during WCQ games, constantly blames players and takes zero responsibility himself.

The US is better than getting walloped 4-0 in a World Cup Qualifying game.
            I said putting players in the wrong spots is a problem...maybe you should read closer.
            Tinkering with lineups happens with ALL coaches everywhere so if that's your complaint...you'll complain about anyone.
            I dont have an issue with experimenting in qualifying games.
            Friendly games don't matter...the players know it so I doubt you get a feel for true performance in them if you only "experiment" there.
            I don't see talent enough on D or beyond what we had with Howard to stop teams who are creative on offense so the odds of us ever going far in a WC are slim IMO as we can't stop teams when it matters without packing 9/10 behind the ball and then we can't score. That to me is a talent issue.
            You want to blame it all on coaching...go ahead...you've been beating that drum for years so why should now be any different.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              I said putting players in the wrong spots is a problem...maybe you should read closer.
              Tinkering with lineups happens with ALL coaches everywhere so if that's your complaint...you'll complain about anyone.
              I dont have an issue with experimenting in qualifying games.
              Friendly games don't matter...the players know it so I doubt you get a feel for true performance in them if you only "experiment" there.
              I don't see talent enough on D or beyond what we had with Howard to stop teams who are creative on offense so the odds of us ever going far in a WC are slim IMO as we can't stop teams when it matters without packing 9/10 behind the ball and then we can't score. That to me is a talent issue.
              You want to blame it all on coaching...go ahead...you've been beating that drum for years so why should now be any different.
              It isn't any different, he should've been fired after the Gold Cup in 2015.

There's plenty of talent on D, Cameron, Brooks, Besler, Yedlin, Johnson plus Cameron Carter-Vickers are all capable players. Goalkeeper? Guzan, Hamid are all capable.

You know what would be a real improvement? Benching Jones and Bradley. Our problem isn't D, it's in the midfield. Jones and Bradley are just not capable.

Already seeing a rumor about Bruce Arena...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                I believe the US is now officially in danger of not qualifying...
                What would you say the actual odds are?

I suspect whichever Evil Corp. owns the US rights to the WC is having heart murmurs rights now...
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Won't they be early AM (east coast) as Russia is about 8 hrs ahead of us?

Knowing Putin, he'll put the US games in Siberia.
                  Crimea.

The man knows his symbolism.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

While I do think Klinsmann should be fired because last night was just plain awful and last friday was pathetic, let's not forget that those were 2 of USA's 3 toughest games. All is not lost on qualifying. I do think now is the time to replacement Klinsmann if you're going to do it because there are no qualifiers til next year and the new coach would get the january camp to evaluate the team for himself and implement whatever he thought necessary.

I do think Arena should be an option through Russia, at which point they look for new blood like Pereja or someone else.

The bigger problem this round that the USA doesn't get to fall back on beating the team from OFC if they finish 4th like Mexico did last time. They get an Asian team.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I suspect whichever Evil Corp. owns the US rights to the WC is having heart murmurs rights now...
                      It's still a long shot to not qualify, because they only need a top 4 finish (preferably top 3 to avoid the playoff). @Costa Rica was always going to be the second hardest game of the hex (after @Mexico City). Losing at home to Mexico sucks, but isn't a killer, either.

Now if they start losing to the other 3 teams, then you get worried.

Comment

The World Cup isn't even for another two years. There's always a chance we could be annexed into the host country by then anyway. No reason to panic.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Evil Corp has spoken.

The call is actually widespread now, most of the notable soccer writers are calling for his head too. Gulati won't be able to dodge this question...

Edit: To put it simply, If you've lost Wahl, you've lost the country.
                          Last edited by Jimjamesak; 11-16-2016, 12:25 PM.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

And I like the Bruce Arena option. It's like the Pete Carroll from USC to Seattle situation, it'll make the USMNT better and the LA Galaxy suck. Everyone wins!
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I won't link to him because I won't give the DBag clicks but even Haisley wrote an article saying Klinsmann needs to go...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I won't link to him because I won't give the DBag clicks but even Haisley wrote an article saying Klinsmann needs to go...
                                The only article I saw saying Klinsmann should stay was on CBS Sports.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X