Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Still upright

Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Agreed. And Liverpool, I'm wondering how many changes they will make, the owner is not known for patience, especially after they lose to Sevilla.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Drunkard

Well, for starters I think everyone under the sun is reporting that they're after Mario Gotze.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I suspect it does not in any way suck to be him.

It sounds like his real problem has been injury. That would have affected him the same on the USNT.

I don't really see what he's saying.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

So where do y'all have the US finishing in Copa?

The way I see it, it's gonna take 6 points to get out of the group. Columbia can realistically walk with 9 points, so the key game for the US is going to be June 7th vs Costa Rica. Simply a "must win" in pretty much any scenario for both teams. Not sure about Paraguay. Watched a bit in their friendly against Mexico before the US/Bolivia match on Sat, but couldn't tell much. They're the wildcard in all this.

The US has to get to at least a quarterfinal. It's home turf and the competition is beatable. We're also going with a "Senior" roster, so they know the deal having been to 1-2 World Cups. Personally I'd rather us play our kids and have them get experience for Russia, but that's me. If we did that, anything past group play would be gravy. The Senior team has expectations though. We can make a Semi-final. That would be the high water mark however.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I suspect it does not in any way suck to be him.

It sounds like his real problem has been injury. That would have affected him the same on the USNT.

I don't really see what he's saying.
    His club prospects would likely be drastically different. He almostly certainly would've been on the 2010 WC team (likely being in the role Charlie Davies played in the 2009 Confederations Cup) that would've raised his profile plus the potential of an MLS spot now.

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

His club prospects would likely be drastically different. He almostly certainly would've been on the 2010 WC team (likely being in the role Charlie Davies played in the 2009 Confederations Cup) that would've raised his profile plus the potential of an MLS spot now.
    Also, the injuries were karma.

I cannot prove this but it seems right.

If he wants to come to MLS, he gets an international roster slot. Ever thus to traitors.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post

If he wants to come to MLS, he gets an international roster slot. Ever thus to traitors.
    Why would that be true? Wouldn't he still have US Citizenship? I doubt he renounced it?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post

Shirtless is correct, Rossi would be a domestic player and not take up an international spot as he still has US Citizenship.

Also completely forgot Rossi was offered a chance at the 2006 World Cup squad. That certainly would've altered his club career prospects.

Generic Catchy Message

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    So where do y'all have the US finishing in Copa?

The way I see it, it's gonna take 6 points to get out of the group. Columbia can realistically walk with 9 points, so the key game for the US is going to be June 7th vs Costa Rica. Simply a "must win" in pretty much any scenario for both teams. Not sure about Paraguay. Watched a bit in their friendly against Mexico before the US/Bolivia match on Sat, but couldn't tell much. They're the wildcard in all this.

The US has to get to at least a quarterfinal. It's home turf and the competition is beatable. We're also going with a "Senior" roster, so they know the deal having been to 1-2 World Cups. Personally I'd rather us play our kids and have them get experience for Russia, but that's me. If we did that, anything past group play would be gravy. The Senior team has expectations though. We can make a Semi-final. That would be the high water mark however.
    How many teams are taking it seriously? Brazil seems set on the Olympics. I would assume the CONCACAF teams are taking it seriously since they don't usually get to compete, but the CONMEBOL teams just played in it last year and while it is special being the Centenario, it's not even being held on South American ground. If most besides Brazil are taking it seriously, I'm not even sure if we get out of group play, unless Costa Rica's loss of Navas is that crucial.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    How many teams are taking it seriously? Brazil seems set on the Olympics. I would assume the CONCACAF teams are taking it seriously since they don't usually get to compete, but the CONMEBOL teams just played in it last year and while it is special being the Centenario, it's not even being held on South American ground. If most besides Brazil are taking it seriously, I'm not even sure if we get out of group play, unless Costa Rica's loss of Navas is that crucial.
    I think you're underestimating how big a deal this is...at least from my perspective, this is basically America's Cup. Granted, I guess your point is that South American countries already believe their superior to CONCACAF, but I have a feeling that in some form, this tournament is going to live on and become The America's version of the Euros ever 4 years. It would be amazing if CONCACAF/CONMEBOL were able to settle on some kind of format.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Gold Cup/Copa America
    2020 America's Cup
    2021 Confed Cup?
    2022 World Cup
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Generic Catchy Message

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think you're underestimating how big a deal this is...at least from my perspective, this is basically America's Cup. Granted, I guess your point is that South American countries already believe their superior to CONCACAF, but I have a feeling that in some form, this tournament is going to live on and become The America's version of the Euros ever 4 years. It would be amazing if CONCACAF/CONMEBOL were able to settle on some kind of format.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Gold Cup/Copa America
    2020 America's Cup
    2021 Confed Cup?
    2022 World Cup
    That would be a great set up. I just didn't know if CONMEBOL was upset that their tournament was essentially bought to be held in the US. Although that could provide motivation, too.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

So a standard U.S. clusterfark on defense tonight. Give up the early goal, take a dumbass handball in the box, screw up your own set pieces, and find yourself trailing 2-0 at the half at home.

When can we move on from klinsmann?

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    When can we move on from klinsmann?
    Never it seems. He should've been fired after the Gold Cup.

Drunkard

Honest question:

What should he have done differently with the lineup last night?

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Honest question:

What should he have done differently with the lineup last night?
    Gonzalez over Cameron, Pulisic over Zardes, Feilhaber/Nagbe/Nguyen/practically anyone over Jones. Play an actual 4-4-2. Practice set pieces. Stop playing Bradley as a CAM. You know the same kind of stuff that people have been saying for 3+ years.

Still upright

Gonzalez over Cameron, Pulisic over Zardes, Feilhaber/Nagbe/Nguyen/practically anyone over Jones. Play an actual 4-4-2. Practice set pieces. Stop playing Bradley as a CAM. You know the same kind of stuff that people have been saying for 3+ years.
    Well maybe, but I look at it differently. If you contrast the quality of play from the team over the last 3 years and specifically if you look at the quality of play comparing the team during the world cup to last night, I think we are definitely better now. Sure, losing isn't so great, but Columbia is a top 3 team for a reason. I'd say in particular the defense is better. It was night and day compared to how we played vs Belgium. ( and I don't think Gonzales is all that good but that's just mho)
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Well maybe, but I look at it differently. If you contrast the quality of play from the team over the last 3 years and specifically if you look at the quality of play comparing the team during the world cup to last night, I think we are definitely better now. Sure, losing isn't so great, but Columbia is a top 3 team for a reason. I'd say in particular the defense is better. It was night and day compared to how we played vs Belgium. ( and I don't think Gonzales is all that good but that's just mho)
    The problem is, was, and will be Klinsmann and his tactical naivety. We have good players but he just plays lineups that make no sense. Why were Zardes and Wood played on the wings when neither of them are wingers? I mean there are players in the pool that can play wing. Why does he insist Michael Bradley play further up the field when it is clearly not his best use? And why do this when we have players available that can play that position?

As for Gonzalez, he just won a Championship in Mexico with Pachuca as a starter. He's frankly better than Geoff Cameron, who really should be playing right back like at Stoke.

Thread Information