This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Well if they blow up to the absurd 48 country tournament, we're probably the only **** country on the planet that can handle it on our own.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Well if they blow up to the absurd 48 country tournament, we're probably the only **** country on the planet that can handle it on our own.
      Yet we'll still have to cohost with at least Canada because reasons.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        yeah, I thought the co-hosting thing was a bit of a disaster before? Now they want it? I mean, it does make sense for USA/Canada to co-host and it would be great for Canada to automatically qualify, although under the 48 team format, not sure they deserve to be seeded. Can you imagine the sh-tstorm if they do cohost with canada and the same WC stadiums have grass for the men?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Does Canada have any grass fields?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Does Canada have any grass fields?
            they will make the grass for the Men's World Cup
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The Portland Timbers managed to lose the Cascadia Cup and get eliminated from the playoffs all in one game.

Seattle goes from last in the West to 4th to make the playoffs.

Dallas wins the Supporters Shield, has a shot at the Treble.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

This doesn't bode well for Minnesota United:

Over/under on Minnesota United wins? (@4rest4thetrees)

Part of me wants to wait until we see the players Minnesota United puts out on the field next spring. But I make a lot of calls around MLS, and I can’t tell you how many coaches, GMs and agents there are who are saying Minnesota in its first year might be one of the worst teams in MLS history on the field. It doesn’t help Minnesota that it’s being compared to Atlanta, which looks set to be competitive in season one on the field and perhaps near the top of the league in terms of attendance and atmosphere. One thing that people in Minnesota do say, however, is that in a couple years they’ll be playing in their own stadium on grass at a time when Atlanta is playing in an NFL stadium on artificial turf. And that’s a pretty good point. Anyway, to answer your question, Chicago and Houston have the lowest number of wins in MLS at seven. Over/under for Minnesota in 2017 is five.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Whatever, what is he suppose to say? They're still playing in the NASL right now and they've always been tight lipped. What is he basing that on? the speculation that they have done nothing? What are they suppose to do? Announce coaching interviews while still having a current coach attempt to lead them in whats left of their season? I'll hold everything until they're saying something like that after the expansion draft, because that will mean MNUFC will have had plenty of time to announce a coach, player moves, etc. Granted part of the reason they could likely be awful is because they are stuck in the West...

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/10/will-mi...m-history-mls/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Whatever, what is he suppose to say? They're still playing in the NASL right now and they've always been tight lipped. What is he basing that on? the speculation that they have done nothing? What are they suppose to do? Announce coaching interviews while still having a current coach attempt to lead them in whats left of their season? I'll hold everything until they're saying something like that after the expansion draft, because that will mean MNUFC will have had plenty of time to announce a coach, player moves, etc. Granted part of the reason they could likely be awful is because they are stuck in the West...

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/10/will-mi...m-history-mls/
                    I read that article as well and I know MNU is still playing in the NASL. I think the biggest thing is that they've kept quiet about plans while past and current expansion teams at this stage have already announced player signings and such. Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver had already announced that certain players had signed, Atlanta already has a coach, a known signing, and multiple homegrown signings from an already successful academy. Comparing that to MNU, it just looks like MNU has no idea what it's doing. Add in the fact that they're going to be in a ridiculously difficult Western Conference and I can see the reasoning.

BTW, for me the telling thing is the GMs part. Players, coaches, agents is whatever but if GMs are saying something I think there's smoke there.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I read that article as well and I know MNU is still playing in the NASL. I think the biggest thing is that they've kept quiet about plans while past and current expansion teams at this stage have already announced player signings and such. Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver had already announced that certain players had signed, Atlanta already has a coach, a known signing, and multiple homegrown signings from an already successful academy. Comparing that to MNU, it just looks like MNU has no idea what it's doing. Add in the fact that they're going to be in a ridiculously difficult Western Conference and I can see the reasoning.

BTW, for me the telling thing is the GMs part. Players, coaches, agents is whatever but if GMs are saying something I think there's smoke there.
                      Minnesota, especially Manny Lagos, has always been tight lipped about things. I would not be surprised if United doesn't get the results necessary this weekend that we hear 10 things before next Wednesday. Atlanta isn't a fair comparison. They don't have a current team, they need to do things to get in the news and make waves with their market. MNUFC has a coach, and a full team right now. The fact that we don't know who is going with to MLS isn't a surprise because it isn't really fair to the current players to be talking about that and distracting them from the job they are trying to do right now. GMs have no idea what Manny Lagos has completed in the background because thats the way he is. The fact that there is skepticism around MLS GMs about what Manny is doing isn't surprising, because they have nothing but that absence of facts to judge him on. While I agree that United is in a tough spot because they were not official until very recently, who really knows what that means?

What do you want them to do? Announce that these 6 players are coming along next year while telling the other 20 guys they'll need to find new jobs, while still trying to complete this season? I could see that they might have announced a DP by now but I don't seem them being a very splashy team anyway in that regard.

I will admit that I really didn't pay attention to this process for previous expansion to know how different United is acting, but I will admit that I am not at all surprised that they are acting differently than most others...

Comment

@BBCSport: A sad day for Brazilian football

Carlos Alberto has died at the age of 72 from a heart attack

More: http://bbc.in/2er8COY https://***********/BBCSport/status/...709056/photo/1
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Minnesota, especially Manny Lagos, has always been tight lipped about things. I would not be surprised if United doesn't get the results necessary this weekend that we hear 10 things before next Wednesday. Atlanta isn't a fair comparison. They don't have a current team, they need to do things to get in the news and make waves with their market. MNUFC has a coach, and a full team right now. The fact that we don't know who is going with to MLS isn't a surprise because it isn't really fair to the current players to be talking about that and distracting them from the job they are trying to do right now. GMs have no idea what Manny Lagos has completed in the background because thats the way he is. The fact that there is skepticism around MLS GMs about what Manny is doing isn't surprising, because they have nothing but that absence of facts to judge him on. While I agree that United is in a tough spot because they were not official until very recently, who really knows what that means?

What do you want them to do? Announce that these 6 players are coming along next year while telling the other 20 guys they'll need to find new jobs, while still trying to complete this season? I could see that they might have announced a DP by now but I don't seem them being a very splashy team anyway in that regard.

I will admit that I really didn't pay attention to this process for previous expansion to know how different United is acting, but I will admit that I am not at all surprised that they are acting differently than most others...
                          Like I said, Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver all signed and named players from their USL teams the season before they began in MLS. I think people are making hypotheses based on past history that's all.

For the record, they'll have to work real hard to equal the *show that was the Chivas USA debut.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Harvard cancels men's soccer season over sex rankings.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

It's going to be Toronto and Montreal in the Eastern Conference Final for MLS. Is New York blue or red? It doesn't matter, they're both dead.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

As alluded to in the previous post, the Conference Finals are set in the MLS Playoffs. East is Toronto vs Montreal, the first Canadian teams to make it to the Conference Finals and the winner will be the first Canadian team to play in the MLS Cup Final. In the West it's Colorado vs Seattle in a playoff Cannabis Cup. Colorado eliminated LA via PKs while Seattle eliminated Dallas, ensuring yet another season without a domestic treble winner.

Because of the international break and a home Seahawks game the first game is not until the 22nd.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X