This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Is it weird that finding out that Rachel Riley is a United fan makes me dislike them less?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

There's a bit of worry regarding Clint Dempsey right now. Just after the home game against Portland he sidelined for "irregular heartbeat" and was left out against Houston and Portland as well as the WCQ games for the US. Now, after the international break, he's yet to even return to practice let alone game action. There's speculation that he may have the same enlarged heart issues Eddie Johnson had that forced him to retire.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Who here has tried to get tickets to soccer matches in Europe, specifically in Italy? Mrs. EoDS and I are thinking of trying to see a game at Napoli (the UCL match against Dynamo Kiev) when we visit there later this year, and even after a cursory google search, I'm not sure about the best way to go about doing that.

Anyone here with experience buying tickets for stuff like that?
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So I'm gonna give it another shot: adopting a competitive EPL team. I'm tending towards Arsenal (red and style of play) but could you guys give me a comparison of the power teams' fans' "intangibles"?

Arsenal:
          Chelsea: (impossible since my "real" albeit doomed team is Fulham)
          Man U:
          Man City:
          Liverpool:
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            So I'm gonna give it another shot: adopting a competitive EPL team. I'm tending towards Arsenal (red and style of play) but could you guys give me a comparison of the power teams' fans' "intangibles"?

Arsenal:
            Man U:
            Man City:
            Liverpool:
            If you want to root for Arsenal, fine. But the rest of them are intolerable.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              If you want to root for Arsenal, fine. But the rest of them are intolerable.
              Can you be a bit more specific?
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Arsenal:
                Man U:
                Man City:
                Liverpool:
                Man U = Yankees
                Man City = White Sox if owned by an oil sheikh.

Can't really comment on the others .

Comment

Liverpool equates closest to the Cubs as they have never won the Premier League but watching games at Anfield is unparalleled...for me at least.
                  Hardcore fans are definitely yo-yoers...as in they win a game....winning it all baby. Lose one...fire everyone.
                  So a happy medium is avoiding most social media comments after games regardless of outcome.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                    Liverpool equates closest to the Cubs as they have never won the Premier League but watching games at Anfield is unparalleled...for me at least.
                    Hardcore fans are definitely yo-yoers...as in they win a game....winning it all baby. Lose one...fire everyone.
                    So a happy medium is avoiding most social media comments after games regardless of outcome.
                    I think of Liverpool = Boston because of the ownership but more because they radiate Holier Than Thou. Nice kit, though -- probably the best in the EPL. (But the Sox have nice threads too and that doesn't make them any less hateful).

My only issue with Arsenal is I kinda like Spurs, and that would have to go.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

So I'm gonna go ahead and be the * that tells you to support your local club D.C. United.

I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Who here has tried to get tickets to soccer matches in Europe, specifically in Italy? Mrs. EoDS and I are thinking of trying to see a game at Napoli (the UCL match against Dynamo Kiev) when we visit there later this year, and even after a cursory google search, I'm not sure about the best way to go about doing that.

Anyone here with experience buying tickets for stuff like that?
                        When I was in Florence we just bought tickets at the match. It was easy and not too expensive (even with it being more expensive than usual; it was somewhat of a desired fixture from what I recall).

That was a Serie A game not Champions League, and a different club...so no idea what ticket availability is likely to be in Naples. But I would say if you want seating in a specific area, or at a specific price point, finding an outlet in advance would be clever. From what I recall the cheap seats and the "good" seats were unavailable, so we were left with mid-tier seating (although we bought our tickets about 10min to kick-off so that probably played a role).

Comment

Clint Dempsey out for remainder of MLS season with irregular heartbeat.

The Sounders are hopeful for him to comeback next season but I fear his career may be over.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I see the new Coach of England resigned after what two months on the job.
                            As far as the EPL....I've been a Liverpool fan for a while but honestly recently it's hard to cheer for them. It's not the same since they traded Suarez.
                            I love the Liverpudlians though.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I see the new Coach of England resigned after what two months on the job.
                              As far as the EPL....I've been a Liverpool fan for a while but honestly recently it's hard to cheer for them. It's not the same since they traded Suarez.
                              I love the Liverpudlians though.
                              It is ugly!
                              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-championship/
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

On July 24th the Seattle Sounders lost to Sporting KC 3-0, were in 9th place in the Western Conference (17th overall) and were 10 points out of the playoffs.

This week they win 3 games in 8 days, are now 5th in the West, 3 points above the redline, and have a shot at 4th and 3rd in the West.

This is insane.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X