X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The only game the US lost was to Russia, by 6 points. The other 7 games the US won by an average of 36.
    If you are talking the '72 Gold medal game, it was 51-50, USSR. Where they scored on the last play of the game, after failing twice but the refs all found a reason to disallow the failures and start over again.

I don't think it's a fair comparison vs. the France-Portugal final.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      If you are talking the '72 Gold medal game, it was 51-50, USSR. Where they scored on the last play of the game, after failing twice but the refs all found a reason to disallow the failures and start over again.

I don't think it's a fair comparison vs. the France-Portugal final.
      I was talking about 1988. That was the game that led directly to the Dream Team.

Comment

Sam Allardyce, from Sunderland, is the new England Coach. Good luck to him.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm doing this at Sounders games from now on...
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Wow this thread is quiet...I'm excited to spend my friday evening celebrating Minnesota getting an MLS franchise. Interested to see what "news" actually comes with the announcement...really hoping they get to keep their current name.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Wow this thread is quiet...I'm excited to spend my friday evening celebrating Minnesota getting an MLS franchise. Interested to see what "news" actually comes with the announcement...really hoping they get to keep their current name.
              Hey they got to their current name!

Minnesota and Atlanta officially joining next season. Minnesota will play at the Gophers stadium until their new stadium is complete (Atlanta is playing at the new Falcons stadium as they have the same ownership). Atlanta will be in the East, Minnesota the West (have fun with that!). Expansion draft details will be released soon.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Any word on future expansion past MIN and ATL?

Detroit rumors seem to be ramping up more and more. I feel like Michigan has to get a team at some point. Even the Grand Rapids metro area is past 1mil, which would match Salt Lake and continued growth would put it near Columbus.

With the Rams gone it can't be long before STL gets a team. Outside of that, I suppose you could get another team in Texas or "promote" an NASL team.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Any word on future expansion past MIN and ATL?

Detroit rumors seem to be ramping up more and more. I feel like Michigan has to get a team at some point. Even the Grand Rapids metro area is past 1mil, which would match Salt Lake and continued growth would put it near Columbus.

With the Rams gone it can't be long before STL gets a team. Outside of that, I suppose you could get another team in Texas or "promote" an NASL team.
                  Beckham's ongoing story in Miami and LAFC are #23 and #24. LAFC is about to start construction of their stadium replacing the old LA Sports Arena. Beckham's ordeal seems to be a mess.

Beyond that they've said there will be a bit of a break before more expansion, we're looking at adding 5-6 teams in ~6 years. Sacramento, Detroit, St. Louis, and Cincinnati have been mentioned as candidates.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Somebody is actually calling out the USWNT for their BS.

It's becoming pretty apparent that the ladies have zero interest in actually helping the NWSL grow. Best line from the article:
                    You want to stay at nicer hotels, practice at better facilities and travel in a more first-class way — all things Solo slammed the NWSL for in a scathing blog before the Olympics — then turn your league into something special, one that generates more revenue via ticket and sponsorship sales? Not reporting back to your clubs in a timely fashion is not how you sell this sport and that's why the USSF finally needs to put its foot down.
                    In contrast, I give this post from BigSoccer by longtime soccer photographer Andy Mead:
                    I spent 28 days in South Korea in 2002.

I was in Ulsan to see Germany eliminate the United States on June 21st.
                    My last game was on June 25th, Germany's 2-1 semifinal victory over South Korea.

A couple days later I flew to San Francisco.

On Saturday, June 29th, I worked (as media) the Kansas City Wizards at San Jose Earthquakes game at Spartan Stadium. Jeff Agoos played for San Jose in that game. Eight days after the U.S. had been eliminated on the other side of the planet, and after Agoos had spent five or six weeks exclusively with the USMNT. In eight days, with media responsibilities thrown in, he had gotten home, gotten reintegrated with his team, and had played for his club team.

The next morning in the early AM I watched the Final at a friend's house in San Jose, then I went to the airport and flew back to North Carolina.

Jeff Agoos beat me home.
                    Landon Donovan played as a sub for San Jose the day after the US got eliminated in 2002.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

And now: Hope Solo suspended for six months, contract terminated.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        ESPN article.

The reactions on this are just mind boggling to me. People are comparing it to Ryan Lochte and jumping on the "SEXISM!!!1!" train the USWNT people love to throw out anytime something happens.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

What's particularly spectacular are the morons jumping on the "First Amendment Rights" nonsense.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            What's particularly spectacular are the morons jumping on the "First Amendment Rights" nonsense.
                            Oh absolutely. The people shouting "SEXISM!!1!" and bringing up examples of people like Tab Ramos or Alexi Lalas saying things and not being punished without realizing a) US Soccer noted her past history as part of their reasoning, and b) The Men are under a completely different situation, are a close second.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              The First Amendment never says that there won't be consequences; it merely says that the federal government cannot impose censorship. US Soccer is not part of the federal government.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Clint Dempsey undergoing tests for irregular heartbeat.

He will miss Seattle's game against Portland and the next two World Cup Qualifiers for the US.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X