This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Clickbait headline: MLS rejected $4 billion media rights deal that hinged on promotion and relegation.

Actual reporting:
    The proposed deal would have run for 10 years starting in 2023, after the current deal with ESPN, Fox, and Univision expires.

Those broadcasters have "exclusive negotiating windows and renewal rights," MLS said in a statement on Monday, and thus the league would be unable to consider Silva's offer, no matter the terms.

"As was stated to [MP & Silva Group's founding partner Riccardo] Silva both in person and in a subsequent letter, Major League Soccer is prohibited contractually from engaging in discussions about our media rights with other distributors," said Dan Courtemanche, MLS executive vice president of communications.

"We are not in a position, nor are we interested, in engaging with Mr. Silva on his proposal."

Silva, as the co-owner of Miami FC of the second-tier NASL, has a vested interest in seeing promotion and relegation added to the United States, since MLS is taking steps toward officially awarding a new team in Miami to a group led by David Beckham.

Without promotion and relegation, Silva's Miami FC has no route to join MLS in the top flight. An attempt to reach Silva through Miami FC was unsuccessful.
    And yet the internet is back to the pro/rel circle jerk.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Regular season champions and pro/rel is a better system than playoffs for soccer.

Season long achievement > lucky playoff run

Plus it incentivizes teams to try to compete instead of being happy to finish last and collect league revenue.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Regular season champions and pro/rel is a better system than playoffs for soccer.

Season long achievement > lucky playoff run

Plus it incentivizes teams to try to compete instead of being happy to finish last and collect league revenue.
        And it also bankrupts teams that fall victim to injuries, call ups, and fixture congestion. When you only look at the positives it sure looks great, when you look at it in reality it's questionable.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          And it also bankrupts teams that fall victim to injuries, call ups, and fixture congestion. When you only look at the positives it sure looks great, when you look at it in reality it's questionable.
          I don't really have a problem if those are the only negatives. If you are financially unstable and irresponsible, so that relegation kills off your team... You probably shouldn't have a team to start with.
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I don't really have a problem if those are the only negatives. If you are financially unstable and irresponsible, so that relegation kills off your team... You probably shouldn't have a team to start with.
            Except if that is true then you end up with system like most of Europe where the same maybe 4 teams (at best) are the only ones with a realistic shot.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Except if that is true then you end up with system like most of Europe where the same maybe 4 teams (at best) are the only ones with a realistic shot.
              except MLS prevents that by limiting spending and player allocation. So it's nearly an even field.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

except MLS prevents that by limiting spending and player allocation. So it's nearly an even field.
                But they can't maintain that system if they go to pro/rel format. I mean, imagine if a team has their 3 DPs injured plus 3 more players injured and another 3 lost to international call ups while only having 16 players to play 3 games in 10 days and one of those games is a coast to coast road game. Yeah let's relegate that team! You can't have your cake and eat it too.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  But they can't maintain that system if they go to pro/rel format. I mean, imagine if a team has their 3 DPs injured plus 3 more players injured and another 3 lost to international call ups while only having 16 players to play 3 games in 10 days and one of those games is a coast to coast road game. Yeah let's relegate that team! You can't have your cake and eat it too.
                  Bad luck is a part of every sport. I don't see that type of scenario as a reason to avoid a pro/rel format.

Comment

RS title and relegation don't have to be a package. Why not have no post-season and no relegation? Or single team pro/rel to reward only the lower league's RS champion?

It would mean going against the US tradition of a playoff, but that really only exists for $$.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think his concern is that Seattle will get relegated in this fictional situation.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Bad luck is a part of every sport. I don't see that type of scenario as a reason to avoid a pro/rel format.
                        There's a difference between "bad luck made my team finish 18th" versus "bad luck caused my asset to lose $100 million plus in value." That's the problem, all you are thinking in purely sports terms. The reality is this whole thing is a business that revolves around money, and soccer isn't a very stable industry as is, why introduce more instability?
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I think his concern is that Seattle will get relegated in this fictional situation.
                          In the reality? Not likely. Seattle leads the league in revenue, with maybe Atlanta being very close, and profit.

I actually hate the idea of teams with actual history in this country like D.C. United being sent to the dustbin in favor of some eurosnob pipe dream.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            why introduce more instability?
                            The why comes down to US association football will remain be a joke globally until they adopt the pro/rel model. That's the theory -- I'm not saying it's true.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There's a difference between "bad luck made my team finish 18th" versus "bad luck caused my asset to lose $100 million plus in value." That's the problem, all you are thinking in purely sports terms. The reality is this whole thing is a business that revolves around money, and soccer isn't a very stable industry as is, why introduce more instability?
                              I don't care about the ownership's profits. I'm simply saying a historic run of bad luck is not a reason not to instigate pro/rel.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                I don't care about the ownership's profits. I'm simply saying a historic run of bad luck is not a reason not to instigate pro/rel.
                                And I'm saying it's not historic run of bad luck because similar circumstances occurred just this weekend to multiple MLS teams.

And if you want soccer in this country to succeed you'd better have at least a passive interest in ownership profits.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X