This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    As someone who hates radical changes, GOOD! Timed play is just a better technology. I understand tradition but f-ck it, I don't want the clock burning while Sergio Azzurri writhes on the pitch.
    As a referee: no, just no. Running it on a stadium clock is just terrible, it's done in high school and college here and it just sucks. In fact time wasting is usually worse because teams know that a) how much time is left and b) they can do things to waste time that a referee can do nothing about. Also, time running out in the middle of a team being on a breakaway sucks. The reality is referees just need to enforce the actual amount of stoppage time and FAs need to support referees doing this.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      As a referee: no, just no. Running it on a stadium clock is just terrible, it's done in high school and college here and it just sucks. In fact time wasting is usually worse because teams know that a) how much time is left and b) they can do things to waste time that a referee can do nothing about. Also, time running out in the middle of a team being on a breakaway sucks. The reality is referees just need to enforce the actual amount of stoppage time and FAs need to support referees doing this.
      I like the end there...you want to stop time wasting, make sure the ref actually adds back the proper amount of time...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I like the end there...you want to stop time wasting, make sure the ref actually adds back the proper amount of time...
        EDIT: I also hate that MNUFC stops the clock at 45 and 90 minutes...never understood that practice
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          EDIT: I also hate that MNUFC stops the clock at 45 and 90 minutes...never understood that practice
          League rules.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

League rules.
            well thats a stupid rule, why even announce stoppage time amount if you can't use in stadium clocks to show how much has elapsed? Everyone at home knows...

Comment

I don't understand any of these objections. It sucks for a football team to run out of time on a drive, too.

It's not a referee issue, it's a game play issue. Frankly anything that takes more pressure off the officials is better in a sport where the player-referee interaction is often an unnecessary distraction.

Anyway, the referee still has loads of power since it's their decision to blow the play dead.

Robot umps!
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don't understand any of these objections. It sucks for a football team to run out of time on a drive, too.

It's not a referee issue, it's a game play issue. Frankly anything that takes more pressure off the officials is better in a sport where the player-referee interaction is often an unnecessary distraction.

Anyway, the referee still has loads of power since it's their decision to blow the play dead.

Robot umps!
                Going to a rugby type rule where play continues until the ball is put out of play would alleviate some of the "clock winds down on a breakaway" situations. Not all, certainly, but some.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Going to a rugby type rule where play continues until the ball is put out of play would alleviate some of the "clock winds down on a breakaway" situations. Not all, certainly, but some.
                  You have to handle the situations with ahem "injuries" where the ball is still in play, but the referee can blow the whistle (stopping the clock) and had out cards for embellishment.

A rule like college lacrosse where you have to move the ball beyond half pitch within a certain amount of time after gaining possession would not hurt either.

Great soccer is amazing, but even mediocre soccer is awful. A few rule changes to punish cynical play would go a long way.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

CFL gives you one last play as the clock hits 0:00.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      We've got the Where's Waldo jersey on the bottom pic, which I like and think is rather fitting for Team USA and not really used elsewhere in the world.

I also liked the sash jerseys, and actually, looking back at all of them, the Bomb pop works for me now too. I don't really like our current jerseys.
                      I would be totally for making the 2010 WC jerseys as permanent home and aways with Where's Waldo as a third.

In Confed Cup action, looks like the Russians need a win or a tie with a Portugal loss to move on.

Group B could actually have a four way tie.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

The clock rules don't need to be changed for any one reason named yet.

Comment

Soccer isn't football or basketball where you can stop the clock and set up a play, sometimes that late run might be the best chance all game.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          And now I can tell you have never come close to refereeing any meaningful match. Player-referee interaction is not only necessary, it's essential. FIFA level referees are masters at player management, some of the more notable referees like Collina are famous for it. And putting the referee in charge of a stadium adds more stress to a referee, let five seconds slip in a tight game? The whole thing will blow up. No thanks.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Somewhat. Yeah the referee has that power but start blowing the play dead for no good reason and you won't be refereeing very much longer. Like I said, referees can easily enforce a lot of stuff, they just don't because FIFA, the FAs, and the leagues don't back them up so the referees don't.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            You're flying us all to UAE?
                            Have to be someplace with booze
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Have to be someplace with booze
                              The UAE has booze. And snooker.

Comment

Russian goalie just booked a one way trip to Siberia.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X