Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Looks like we're now back to our typical defending

Comment

So their coach can just stand there?

Comment

Well, getting to the semis is nice, I guess.

Comment

Argentina should run a train on us but semis is progress from where they were

Comment

Go Venezuela. The only advantage the US has in the semifinals is 2 days extra rest. Too bad Wood, Bedoya and Jones won't be able to play...they will be able to return for final/third place game though...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Yedlin for Jones I call an even trade at this point, but I don't know who replaces Wood. And agree they need to protect some of the others.
                  Does Fabian Johnson play right mid with yedlin right back? being able to have them switch back and forth?
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Does Fabian Johnson play right mid with yedlin right back? being able to have them switch back and forth?
                    Have to think he swaps in Beckerman for Jones, Zusi for Bedoya, and either Wondolowski (no) or Pulisic (yes) for Wood.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I say keep Besler, add Yedlin and move Fabian up as SG said.

Then Zusi for Bedoya. If you put in Pulisic, he obviously doesn't play Wood's role. But then again, aside from the injured/maybe-already-past-his-prime/not-on-roster Jozy Altidore I don't know who really could. Nagbe?
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Slightly different topic, somewhere John Brooks' agent is going "so many Euros, so many Euros..."
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a more renowned German team, if any of them are watching this tournament. Maybe even a PL team.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

BTW, taking a look at what our team might look like for 2018... it could potentially be the most talented US team we've ever seen.

Of course, some of the young guns could stall or not develop much (namely Green, Pulisic, Kiesewetter and the various kids coming up through prominent PL youth systems: Zelalem, Miazga, etc) and a few veterans (Dempsey, Bradley, Jones) could run out of gas and it won't necessarily be that great. Yet some others (Diskerud? Boyd?) might simply not be as good as we thought they could've been and there's a reason that they aren't out there now.
                            Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-17-2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              BTW, taking a look at what our team might look like for 2018... it could potentially be the most talented US team we've ever seen.

Of course, some of the young guns could stall or not develop much (namely Green, Pulisic, Kiesewetter and the various kids coming up through prominent PL youth systems: Zelalem, Miazga, etc) and a few veterans (Dempsey, Bradley, Jones) could run out of gas and it won't necessarily be that great. Yet some others (Diskerud? Boyd?) might simply not be as good as we thought they could've been and there's a reason that they aren't out there now.
                              Hopefully Klinsman has learned from his mistakes that tinkering with crazy formations and playing individuals out of position leads to losses to Guatemala. Trying to follow some sort of conventional wisdom and strength can lead to semifinals in a major tournament.

I am a little worried about 2018. The one World Cup hurdle we've never crossed is reaching the second round (or even winning a game) in Europe. Russia is probably about as unfriendly a place in UEFA for the traditional powers so this might be our best opportunity ever to get over that hurdle. If we make the Round of 16 for the third time in a row on three continents, I'd feel pretty comfortable that we'd reached upper middle class status in the global game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Go Venezuela. The only advantage the US has in the semifinals is 2 days extra rest. Too bad Wood, Bedoya and Jones won't be able to play...they will be able to return for final/third place game though...
                                The way the US team has been playing, I would have liked our chances at full strength vs Argentina very much, a tie would not have been unlikely and who knows what might happen in a PK shoot-out after 90 minutes?

Wood has done a great job of stretching defenses and giving Dempsey room to operate, and Jones has been strong in midfield. While his talent might be matched by a replacement, his tireless work rate and crunching tackles might not.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X