This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Man, Austria must have really blown their wad in qualifying.

I want them to succeed, but they just seem to have no business in this tournament.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Man, Austria must have really blown their wad in qualifying.

I want them to succeed, but they just seem to have no business in this tournament.
      They missed a penalty shot in the first half against Iceland. At halftime, Iceland 1, Austria 0.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I agree with you that the pool is better, I think selection is part of the problem. Wondolowski should not have been on this team. Nagbe and Pulisic should have gotten more playing time leading up to this tournament to be prepared to play. I do think that it is hard to argue with anyone saying that the suspensions was probably the biggest issue with the team last night. That continuity that led to the success was broken and basically the entire attacking left triangle had to be replaced. THat would be hard for just about any team to deal with. I will say that my biggest issue with last night's game was Klinsmann talking about not playing scared and taking it to Argentina and then choosing the most conservative lineup he could and effectively having his actions speak louder than words that his team should be scared.
        Bad selection isn't really a problem as its really more of a symptom of a major fault: a lack of a long term plan.

With Klinsmann you really don't have an idea of how things are going to go. What style are we going for? What formation(s) is best? Which players? This was a problem in 2014 as well, he didn't have his formation and lineup set until a week before the World Cup, and at that point you can't answer the "what do I do when X gets injured or suspended?" And in a long tournament you need to be able answer those questions.

And going conservative is another symptom of that. "I have no idea, I'll play the vets and hope for the best" is Klinsmann's MO in these situations. He didn't have a replacement for Wood or Jones, he never looked for one. He brought Wondo and Beckerman because he knew them, they had experience, and that seemed a better option than playing someone else or having a different formation. What was he trying to do? Bunker and counter? You can't do that with Dempsey and Wondo, you need speed. Press? Against Argentina? Have fun with that. No, he got thrown a curve and had no idea what to do.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I feel like I was saying we had a lot of talent (albeit young and unproven works in progress) to compete for the open spots.
          Sorry, it wasn't directed at you. It's more directed toward people like the guys at Deadspin (who I'm sure think soccer didn't exist before 2012) and others who can only say "well of course that happened our talent pool sucks!" (who is also probably people who think soccer didn't exist until 2012).
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Iceland!

Comment

Iceland!?!!
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That earthquake you felt was a result of The Mountain celebrating Iceland's 94th minute goal...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Turkey is the only third place team in doubt now. To advance they need:

Ireland to lose or tie AND
                  Sweden loses OR Sweden ties OR Sweden wins by 4.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Iceland!
                    Next up: England.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Perfectly fine with Turkey going home with their flares.

Go Ireland. Go Sweden.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Accumulation of yellow cards is such a stupid rule...
                        Been saying that for a long time. I understand punishing someone for an accumulation but I just don't like the way the rule is now in regard to timeframe. Be a little more lenient.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Guzan was awful last night. that Messi goal should have never gone in.
                        I'm not a huge Guzan fan but I'm not sure what he did wrong on that goal. That was a tremendous shot. Perfect accuracy with just enough pace on it.

Comment

Would have been great if Hungary held on to one of their 3 leads and sent Ronaldo home. Oh well. Still can't name a single player on Hungary, nice run for them.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Been saying that for a long time. I understand punishing someone for an accumulation but I just don't like the way the rule is now in regard to timeframe. Be a little more lenient.
                            It seems like it would make sense to be suspend for a 3rd yellow card over a period of 5 games or a 2nd card in 2 games maybe (which still would have seen Bobby Wood suspended)?
                            I understand what they're trying to do but I think its executed poorly. Bedoya got a yellow card in game 1 and game 4 of the tournament...very silly that he gets suspended for that.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I'm not a huge Guzan fan but I'm not sure what he did wrong on that goal. That was a tremendous shot. Perfect accuracy with just enough pace on it.
                            His first step right before the kick betrayed him...he stepped right when he should have trusted his wall and stood his ground
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Gosh, both games are scoreless at halftime. Yawn.

Comment

No matter what talent you bring in, you have to get experience against the best out there if you want to compete. I think the issue was that we held the ball for so long that it allowed the press to operate. And I fault the mid field for not moving the ball quick enough or with enough authority. I would like to see us bring in a lot of young midfielders and get them developed.
                                On the Messi free kick goal, the argentine players did move the point of the kick up 5 yards, which mattered. those little things add up.

I hope we can come back against Colombia and play better. I disagree that Klinsmann had no clue, but whatever plan we had went out the window in the 4th minute. The score doesn't reflect it, but I thought we played better as we got more used to the style of game.
                                BTW, Higuain scored 36 goals in the Italian league. 36. The top scorer in the EPL had 25 and I bet no one in MLS had more than 25 as well.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X