X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
    Hopefully Klinsman has learned from his mistakes that tinkering with crazy formations and playing individuals out of position leads to losses to Guatemala. Trying to follow some sort of conventional wisdom and strength can lead to semifinals in a major tournament.
    One of the commentators* made a very interesting observation before the game. to paraphrase: "Klinsman has talked about putting players in positions where they are outside of their comfort zone, to force them to lean and grow. For this tournament, Klinsman has put himself outside of his own comfort zone by keeping a steady lineup and putting players where they seem to perform best."
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

the Czechs blow

Comment

i woke them up

Comment

Amazing what goes through the minds of these people who throw stuff on the field. And when your team is winning the **** game on top of it.

Comment

Just may have cost Croatia the win. Some European fans make even the dumbest American fan look like a Mensa candidate.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

So US Soccer may appeal the Jones send off and Bobby Wood's caution.

The Jones appeal is likely based the view that Jones only makes contact because the Ecuadorian player bringing his arm caused Jones' hand to make the contact. I don't see how it works but I guess it's worth a shot.

Wood's caution I think has a decent chance. The caution occurred immediately after the restart from the send offs but Jones was not yet off the field. "Improper restart of play" is one of the few things that can win you any appeal in soccer and there is certainly a case here.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

While I'd like to have both of them, getting Bobby Wood back seems more important, because I don't see the obvious replacement.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Amazing what goes through the minds of these people who throw stuff on the field. And when your team is winning the **** game on top of it.
                  Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Just may have cost Croatia the win. Some European fans make even the dumbest American fan look like a Mensa candidate.
                  They weren't fans of Croatian soccer. It's incredibly political. Their goal was to get Croatia kicked out of the tournament. Costing the team the game was a great win for them.

For comparison, it would be like if the US team was lauded by (insert American political group here) and violently opposed by (insert name of fringe group here) so members of the latter went to games with the specific goal of getting the US penalized or even kicked out of CONCACAF tournaments or World Cup qualifiers.

Comment

Go Iceland?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I was hoping to see Icelnd and Austria come out of that group, but I doubt it'll happen now.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Chile taking it to Mexico right now.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

This is awesome. Mexico to fire another coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            4 - 0?!?!?! What the heck happened??
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              4-0. Ha ha.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Oh this fantastic. 5-0!
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X