Off season notes and news....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Off season notes and news....

DWC tries to focus on the present - Courtesy of the Nashua Telegraph Sept 14, 2016

Wednesday, September 14, 2016
    DWC tries to focus on the present
    By TOM KING
    Staff Writer
    What a difference some 31 months can make. And not a good difference at that.

Back in February, 2014, the Daniel Webster College athletic department announced plans for a bold expansion. The school was adding men’s varsity hockey and wrestling as well as women’s varsity hockey.

Now, with the school’s future in doubt, the future of those programs and others are murky

Athletics certainly is impacted. While teams are currently competing in their fall schedules, winter programs could be impacted now, with the thinking they may not exist in a few months depending on who buys the college from ITT.

“The approach isn’t any different right now,” Eagles athletic director Chris Gilmore said recently. “We are day to day, doing our business as usual.”

Recruiting is basically on hold, it would appear.

“Right now? Maybe a little bit, but we’re not in that full ramped-up mode right now,” Gilmore said. He added the school has taken a minor hit with athletes leaving, but he admitted that the measuring stick is yet to be determined.

“There could be some fallout,” he said. “I tell (the coaches) to work hard every day, to go day-to-day with their kids. I guess the best way to say it is keep an even keel. Don’t go to far up and down with the ebbs and flows. I think that’s the biggest thing.

“There’s always ups and downs. Each situation is different for others. We try to keep an even keel with what we’re doing. … No one can predict the future. Right now, it’s keep an even keel, try to concentrate on doing the things we can do and manage the things we can manage.

“Right now I’m doing the same things every day. Same thing as the coaches. Just do your job day to day. That’s all you can do.”

Reportedly women’s ice hockey, which barely had enough to put a team on the ice last season, has lost numerous players to the issue, and it would have a hard time staying viable for this season.

Other winter and spring sports are fragile as well, wondering if the athletic department would still exist after the first semester under a new owner. One student athlete,a member of the men’s basketball team, sent an anonymous letter to officials at one of the most prominently mentioned potential buyers, Southern New Hampshire University, as well as other schools and media outlets, including The Telegraph.

“My teammates and I made a financial and personal investment into this school and its offerings in September,” the letter stated. “This includes our ability to enhance ourselves through athletics. A significant portion of our financial commitment to this school was based upon the fact that we are investing that money in our ability to benefit from the character development being a student athlete. … “ We merely ask that our financial contribution help fund our season out as it had been originally planned to when we made our commitment here.”

Men’s varsity ice hockey players and coaches are also just waiting things out, but right now plenty of players are still on campus.

“Some of them are nervous, a large portion are optimistic,” Eagles coach Eric McCambly said. “We should have plenty of horses in the stable. We’d like to hear something within the next 48 hours so we can tell them we are going to have a season. We’re hopeful and we think we’re going to have a pretty good group this year.”

Meanwhile, for the fall season, teams are conducting business as usual for the most part. The women’s volleyball team just played a match at Nichols College on Monday, winning 3-0.

“We don’t really feed into it too much, especially on the field,” soccer player Michael Ottman said. “We’ve read the articles, we know about it. We’re looking positive.”

“We’ve dealt with this last year, too,” soccer standout Marcos Vieria Filho said. “We didn’t let it affect the season. It’s completely out of our hands.”

“Who knows,” McCambly said. “It might end up being better than it was before.”

For a team that doesn’t have a permanent coach officially hired, the Daniel Webster College women’s volleyball team has started off pretty well at 4-3. Last week Madeline Roulier of Pittsfield, Mass.was named NECC Player of the Week after her efforts over the weekend.

Roulier, a senior outside hitter, averaged 2.67 kills, a team-best 4.83 digs and added five service aces, three assists and one block as the Eagles started their season 2-0.

The Eagles for the two matches were under the guidance of Ramim Bhuyia, who is regularly the school’s men’s cross country coach and assistant men’s basketball coach.

Assisting him has been volunteer Karen McNulty, a former head coach at UMass Lowell.

Rivier, meanwhile, also had a strong start to its season. The Raiders swept the New York University Invitational, with four match wins while losing just one set, and then this past weekend won four matches in the Granite State Invitational.

At NYU, sophomore setter Hayley Macken of Clifton Park, N.Y.was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player while senior Lauren Silverman of Chelmsford, Mass. Was named to the All-Invitational team.

For her efforts, Macken was a week ago was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference’s Offensive Player of the Week while junior Bethany Trevino was named GNAC Defensive Player of the Week after she had 63 digs in the tournament. It’s the fifth time she’s won that award.

Then the Raiders made it two weeks in a row for GNAC honors as Silverman was the conference’s Offensive Player of the Week after helping the Raiders to the Granite State title with 3-0 wins over Colby Sawyer, Keene State, DWC and 3-2 over Plymouth State.

She averaged 3.29 kills per set and 1.71 blocks were set while hitting .494. She had 16 kills and eight blocks in the close win over PSC.

XXXXXX

One thing the Daniel Webster men’s soccer team appears to have a knack for, given the early results, is winning close games, although the Eagles at last look had fallen to 2-2.

A bright spot has been the play of freshman Kevin Herrera, who is originally from Metapan, El Salvador. He’s had two game winning goals and last week was named NECC Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week.

It’s the first time an NECC rookie won dual honors, as the conference recently changed its rules to allow rookies to win Player of the Week honors as well.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Okay, a better example: Until 2011, Utica College undergrads all received their degrees issued from Syracuse University, and they were able to operate a separate Athletics Department. It became a financially independent institution in 1995, but Syracuse granted the degrees and controlled the academics until 1999 for Graduate-level students, and 2011 for Undergrads. I'm not saying DWC will definitely continue to operate an Athletics program, but I'm saying that it's technically possible.
      Very interesting to see how this all shakes out...shocking news here in NH.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
        Very interesting to see how this all shakes out...shocking news here in NH.
        No hints of doom and gloom in this Daniel Webster release today (9/14/2016) -

Athletics: Men's & Women's Basketball Announce 2016-17 Schedules
        Last edited by norm1909; 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM.
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

http://www.newhampshire.com/Education/SNHU-to-rescue-Daniel-Webster-College-09132016

Looks like quite a roller coaster ride this week for players and coaches but looks like they just inherited a big brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

DWC should play Dartmouth, not UNH.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
              http://www.unionleader.com/Education...llege-09132016

So Daniel Webster will be absorbed by SNHU. Presumably this means the immediate end of their athletic department. What a headache.

It says DWC academic programs will be continued until August of 2017, so maybe there's a chance this season will go ahead, but I doubt it. Why would SNHU fund a separate athletic department for a year even if they were allowed to?
              From what I heard an alum texted me today that all sports are continuing and this will be the last year using the Daniel Webster College name. The last I checked umass has several campuses that compete at various levels Lowell and Boston are very close. I've been told they can co-exist, as long as they have separate campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                From what I heard an alum texted me today that all sports are continuing and this will be the last year using the Daniel Webster College name. The last I checked umass has several campuses that compete at various levels Lowell and Boston are very close. I've been told they can co-exist, as long as they have separate campuses.
                Again, it has nothing to do with geography. I believe Daniel Webster would need to maintain a separate accreditation if they intend to keep a separate athletic department. UMass, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Boston and UMass-Dartmouth are all in the same system, but they're separately accredited and fully independent institutions. From what I read, it seems that SNHU intends to totally absorb DWC and faze out their degrees. I can't speak to the Utica-Syracuse example CARDS_rule_the_Burgh used. Does anyone have any details on that and how/why the NCAA allowed it?
                Last edited by Buckeye22; 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Again, it has nothing to do with geography. I believe Daniel Webster would need to maintain a separate accreditation if they intend to keep a separate athletic department. UMass, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Boston and UMass-Dartmouth are all in the same system, but they're separately accredited and fully independent institutions. From what I read, it seems that SNHU intends to totally absurd DWC and faze out their degrees. I can't speak to the Utica-Syracuse example CARDS_rule_the_Burgh used. Does anyone have any details on that and how/why the NCAA allowed it?
                  Maybe you are right. I'm just confused how all Penn State campuses are covered under one accreditation by middle states regional accreditation.

http://www.psu.edu/vpaa/pdfs/accreditations_by%20college.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    DWC should play Dartmouth, not UNH.
                    I agree. It hurts UNH is already playing 2 other D3 programs this year. That is far too many.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                      I doubt SNHU will fund two athletic programs. My best guess would be that they extend offers for tryouts to any student athletes already playing for DWC in sports that SNHU currently sponsors- otherwise if they want to remain athletes they will have to transfer. Rivier U is also in Nashua and could certainly use some athletic help.

Comment

SNHU to continue academics, employment for Daniel Webster College students and staff 9/14/2016

Excerpts:

For Daniel Webster College athletics, fall sports will continue on their current schedule, and SNHU staff are working on next steps for fall and spring athletics.
                        “Our hope is to continue those sports and schedules as planned,” LeBlanc said in his email statement.
                        DWC students who have completed 90 credits or more before the fall 2016 semester will graduate with a Daniel Webster College degree if they meet graduation requirements by the end of August 2017. Students with 60-90 credits will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and students with 59 credits or fewer will graduate with an SNHU degree. After this year, SNHU will accept DWC students who meet the university’s academic standards.
                        Part of the transition will be SNHU picking up unique programs offered through Daniel Webster College, such as technical aviation training.
                        “By next fall, it is very likely that we will be off the Nashua campus (since we do not control the campus and disposition of the property will be in ITT’s hands) and all remaining students, employees and programs will be transitioned into SNHU,” LeBlanc said in his message to students. LeBlanc said Wednesday that SNHU has made an offer to ITT/ESI for the 54-acre campus, but “we have not heard back.”
                        “We received a message from ITT this morning that Daniel Webster employees will be terminated by the end of today,” LeBlanc said in a Wednesday phone interview, adding that SNHU worked quickly to make sure the staff won’t experience a gap in pay and benefits. “First thing tomorrow, we will have people on temporary status so there is no break in medical coverage, and we can start moving forward to permanent employment.”
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

This tells me the DWC athletic department will be dead.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            This tells me the DWC athletic department will be dead.
                            After 2016-17 for sure -

Additional Excerpts:

For this school year, Daniel Webster College classes will continue on the Nashua campus, and residential students will live on campus for the rest of the academic year. Students will also continue to access their 2016-17 financial aid, and SNHU will honor the current tuition rate and fees.
                            By next fall, it is very likely that we will be off the Nashua campus (since we do not control the campus and disposition of the property will be in ITT’s hands) and all remaining students, employees and programs will be transitioned into SNHU,” LeBlanc said in his message to students. LeBlanc said Wednesday that SNHU has made an offer to ITT/ESI for the 54-acre campus, but “we have not heard back.”
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                              Again, it has nothing to do with geography. I believe Daniel Webster would need to maintain a separate accreditation if they intend to keep a separate athletic department. UMass, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Boston and UMass-Dartmouth are all in the same system, but they're separately accredited and fully independent institutions. From what I read, it seems that SNHU intends to totally absorb DWC and faze out their degrees. I can't speak to the Utica-Syracuse example CARDS_rule_the_Burgh used. Does anyone have any details on that and how/why the NCAA allowed it?
                              Branch campuses can operate individual athletic programs. The U California schools are all entities within the same same system with a blanket accreditation. Castelton, Johnson State, Vermont Tech, and Lyndon State are actually all part of Vermont State College - which is one school with several different campuses (many campuses are part of CCV). Unless students can be enrolled at more than one campus, there isn't an issue. When Norwich took over Vermont College in the 1980s the separate VC athletic program was shut down, because students were able to enroll in courses at either campus.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                Branch campuses can operate individual athletic programs. The U California schools are all entities within the same same system with a blanket accreditation. Castelton, Johnson State, Vermont Tech, and Lyndon State are actually all part of Vermont State College - which is one school with several different campuses (many campuses are part of CCV). Unless students can be enrolled at more than one campus, there isn't an issue. When Norwich took over Vermont College in the 1980s the separate VC athletic program was shut down, because students were able to enroll in courses at either campus.
                                But even then, it's a bit murky.

There are situations where schools share the ability to attend classes at other schools. The four North Country schools (Potsdam State, Clarkson, SUNY Canton, and St. Lawrence) allowed you take up to two classes (I can't remember if it was per semester or year) at any other school that you were not matriculated at for the exact same cost as whatever your school's cost was (great if you were going from the State schools to the private ones). I took a class at Clarkson (yes, joecct, can you believe it?!) when I was attending Potsdam.

Now, before you say that's a part time deal, here's another example to complicate the situation.

Potsdam and Clarkson offer a 3/2 program. You go to Potsdam for three years and get a Computer Science or Math degree and then you go to Clarkson and get an Engineering degree. For the first three years, you are matriculated at Potsdam, but you still take classes at Clarkson. For the second two years, you are matriculated at Clarkson, but still take classes at Potsdam.

While I was at Potsdam, the captain of the hockey team, John Rowe, was in this program (he actually got a double major -- Comp Sci and Math -- from Potsdam along with an Engineering degree from Clarkson, and I think he did it all in four years; who said hockey players are dumb...). After his third year, everyone, including himself, figured he was done playing hockey with Potsdam. They even honored him on Senior Night. However, they put a request in to the NCAA to allow him to continue playing at Potsdam. The NCAA granted the request, stating that since technically he was still getting a degree at Potsdam (and he wasn't finished with that degree until the entire five years was up, regardless of what school he was matriculated in) and he was still attending classes at Potsdam and because of the unique situation that Clarkson hockey was Division I, so his opportunity to compete for Clarkson was not practical. He played his fourth year of eligibility for Potsdam ... though, they did not honor him again at Senior Night. LOL

Then, a couple of years later, a swimmer did the same thing. Interestingly, that swimmer could have competed for Clarkson since they are D3 in all their other sports. Yet, the NCAA still decided for the swimmer, allowing him to compete for Potsdam in his fourth year of eligibility.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X