Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Congrats to Rem Pitlick! But no further update on when he plans to enroll and join the team. Anybody hearing anything?

Pitlick Named USHL Player/Forward of the Year
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...ampaign=050916
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Congrats to Rem Pitlick! But no further update on when he plans to enroll and join the team. Anybody hearing anything?

Pitlick Named USHL Player/Forward of the Year
      http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...ampaign=050916
      As I mentioned in a previous post we have a logjam of centers: Kloos, Novak, Lettieri, Romanko, Szmatula, Mittelstadt(?), Pitlick(?). Pitlick's move from W to C is mainly why he's experienced his recent success. I doubt he would want to go back to W. I can see Lettieri moving for Szmatula. Romanko showed improvement in his forecheck and backcheck on the checking line as the season progressed, but maybe he moves to W. But would a checking line role play into Pitlick's recent success? So other than Lettieri and maybe Romanko moving, it's tough to see where Pitlick or Mittelstadt would fit in next season as FR which might be why they are unsure where they will be next season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        As I mentioned in a previous post we have a logjam of centers: Kloos, Novak, Lettieri, Romanko, Szmatula, Mittelstadt(?), Pitlick(?).
        Just saw a post by "green4" on the high school forum: "According to Casey's Twitter, he will be back for his senior season." So one less potential center...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Just saw a post by "green4" on the high school forum: "According to Casey's Twitter, he will be back for his senior season." So one less potential center...
          Given the crowd at C, a strategic choice for him. I can see Pitlick's reasoning to go the same route and wait a year.

Comment

Confirmed: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/647140

Comment

“I’ve never really rushed anything,” he said. “I played both years of bantams and took it all slowly and let myself development. … The Gophers have been really good with [my decision].”
              I hope this philosophy continues into his college career and he doesn't feel the need to rush into the NHL. Three years out of him would be very nice.

Comment

Wow. In theory, Casey could have been one of the best freshmen in the country. Agree, Koho. The pros will probably apply more pressure than did the Gophers who typically let kids decide anyways.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Wow. In theory, Casey could have been one of the best freshmen in the country.
                  With another year of preparation, including his before and after stint in the USHL, he should be an even better freshman in 2017-18.

Comment

Szmatula's been a 15-20 goal scorer and should fit in well with the loss of Fasching. But there's still a lot of "ifs" next season. C. Reilly was really snake bit last season and needs to have a good senior season. Same with Cammy, I'm not sure what to expect from him anymore.

Comment

So, how do you guys look for next season? I have MAJOR concerns about Michigan. We'll still be decent but we lost the entire CCM line, a lot of our Defense (of course you'll be glad that Downing went Pro), and our goalie graduated. Nagelvoort was supposed to be an all-world goalie when he got to Michigan. That still hasn't happened and I'm unsure if we have a stud goialie on his way in (I think so but am unsure). Chad Catt, last years 3rd-string goalie, is another Rudy/Hunwick story in the making but I wouldn't count on it. Still, I'm glad he is on the team. I just hope we have a guy come in this year like you did last year with Schierhorn.
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        So, how do you guys look for next season? I have MAJOR concerns about Michigan. We'll still be decent but we lost the entire CCM line, a lot of our Defense (of course you'll be glad that Downing went Pro), and our goalie graduated. Nagelvoort was supposed to be an all-world goalie when he got to Michigan. That still hasn't happened and I'm unsure if we have a stud goialie on his way in (I think so but am unsure). Chad Catt, last years 3rd-string goalie, is another Rudy/Hunwick story in the making but I wouldn't count on it. Still, I'm glad he is on the team. I just hope we have a guy come in this year like you did last year with Schierhorn.
                        Quite a loss for Red. Thought he might retire. Sounds like you guys might be like we were last season with a FR class of 9-10? We'll obviously be a more experienced team. Deeper and perhaps more talented on D depending on how two promising FR D (Zuhlsdorf and Lindgren) adapt. With the loss of Fasching, offensive scoring may be an issue depending on how well former Hockey East All-Rookie Mike Szmatula fills that gap, and top scorers Bristedt, Kloos, and Sheehy perform. Schierhorn should be much improved after a good, not great season. IMO on paper looks like the potential for good season, possibly another repeat B1G title and NCAA playoff berth.

Comment

The Gophers don't look like a title contender. A freshmen forward class of Marooney and Tyler Nanne doesn't do much for anyone.

It could be another long season, or it could be a surprise. Never know until it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            The Gophers don't look like a title contender. A freshmen forward class of Marooney and Tyler Nanne doesn't do much for anyone.

It could be another long season, or it could be a surprise. Never know until it starts.
                            You forgot "could be a medium season". Sparty lost 10 seniors, Penn St. lost 8, Mich is most likely in a rebuilding year, OSU lost several key players, and I suspect the Badgers will get better with the new coaching staff, but I don't see them as a contender yet. The Gophers probably lost the least and are replacing them with some good recruits. Who do you see as a better option as a title contender than the Gophers? Nanne is a Gopher? I thought he was a Buckeye?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              In net, are you talkin' about big Hayden Lavigne?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                In net, are you talkin' about big Hayden Lavigne?
                                Guess I was. I didn't know his name but I heard about some kid coming in. Thanks for pointing it out. However he's already 20, kinda hard to call him a kid. The guy is 6'3", Coach Berenson likes big goalies. That adds to the lore of tiny Shawn Hunwick.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=215159
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X