Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Few NHL players are going to take the offer to play in the WC after a season of hockey. Think.
    I know that. That's why the tournament does nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      I know that. That's why the tournament does nothing for me.
      Lots of talent on that roster. Should be a good WC.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Former Gophers Fasching, Skjei land on U.S. men's national team roster
        http://www.startribune.com/former-go...ter/377139291/
        Jordan Schroeder is on the roster.

Comment

Jordan Schroeder is on the roster.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

USA dominated by Canada as expected. Could be a long tournament.

Comment

Few NHL players are going to take the offer to play in the WC after a season of hockey. Think.
              I wonder why any would. Do we have to place in the top 8 or something to avoid relegation? Otherwise, I see no reason for a guy under contract to play in this.

Comment

USA jumped out to an early lead on the PP. Could have been 2-0 USA had Foligno buried the shortie on a pass from Larkin. Fasching, no shots on goal?? Another good Canada team this year, but not a strong as last year. Looking at the USA schedule, they've still got a shot at the quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  I wonder why any would. Do we have to place in the top 8 or something to avoid relegation? Otherwise, I see no reason for a guy under contract to play in this.
                  Canada had no problem putting NHL players on the ice last year (i.e. Crosby, Duchene, Giroux, Seguin, Spezza, etc.) and they blew everyone off the ice. I see Dumba has signed onto the Canada squad this season. IMO it's been a matter of personal choice and it's just not been a popular one for the American NHL players after a season of smash mouth hockey. Like to see that change.

Comment

I didn't see the first period or the first few minutes of the second, but on Canada's decisive 3rd goal, which gave them a two goal lead, it looked like Brady Skjei misplayed it by allowing Matt Duchene all kinds of time and space, which Duchene took advantage of by walking in and firing from close range on a beauty of a wrister. Instead of moving up to challenge Duchene, Skjei retreated to the net to cover another Canadian forward, perhaps not realizing that his D partner already had him covered. Of course this one play was just one of many other mistakes the USA made throughout the game, but this one was one of the more obvious. Perhaps it was a case of miscommunication with his defensive partner, but on that play it sure looked like Duchene was Skjei's man.

Brady's obviously made HUGE strides in his game since his freshman year (remember him then?) and hopefully he can continue to get better and reach his full potential and have a long and successful NHL career.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Ryan Edquist to BC. was he originally slated to come to Minnesota this fall? If so, assuming he realized Schierhorn was the guy going forward? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Ryan Edquist to BC. was he originally slated to come to Minnesota this fall? If so, assuming he realized Schierhorn was the guy going forward? Or something else?
                        Yes, he is/was on the Gophers' recruit list. I don't have any information as to why he apparently changed his mind.

Comment

He was not going to be coming in this fall. That may have played a role.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Gophers have brought in 3 goalies over the past two seasons, so Edquist didn't sign a LOI for Minnesota during the early signing period last fall. He had a choice: another season with Madison in the USHL OR opt out of the verbal (which makes perfect sense) and with Demko signing with the Vancouver Canucks last month he was offered a roster spot with BC and took it.

Comment

USA 2, Finland 3. Mikko Koivu has joined the Fins and scored the first goal. No SOG from Schroeder and Fasching, 1 SOG by Skjei.

HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how Edquist does. Hard to argue with our choice on this one IMO.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X