Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Sounds like seniors Berry and Donner may be getting less time on the blue line this season?
    It was a certainty at one point that Berry was going to be graduating early and heading off to some big firm, but apparently he lost that job offer so it is unclear whether he's going to be on the team next year. Also, not taking anything away from Donners and Berry, but the skill sets of the younger players on this team are a lot more refined, and should earn them more playing time.

Comment

• Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Thanks for helping me with my math, as it looks even more crowded than I thought, both up front and on the blueline, unless there are others leaving early, as suggested. I count four senior forwards from this past season (Gladiuk, Bacon, Reardon, Krause) and two D-men (Blomquist, Eiserman), unless I am missing a red shirt or something (Krause?). Assuming that McDonald and McMurphy will be back from injuries?

Agreed that competition across all zones and in net is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        I count four senior forwards from this past season
        You're correct! My mistake. That being said still a very crowded roster, with a lot of talent. Good problem to have

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Perhaps the larger roster size is to cover for potential injuries that more teams seem to be facing these days.

Roster size from Collegehockeystats.net for Atlantic Hockey 2015/2016.

Roster size 25 players - Two teams RIT, Canisius
          Roster size 26 players - One team Holy Cross
          Roster size 27 players - Five teams Air Force, AIC, Bentley, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart
          Roster size 28 players - Two teams Army, Niagara
          Roster size 31 players - One team Mercyhurst

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
            Perhaps the larger roster size is to cover for potential injuries that more teams seem to be facing these days.

Roster size 27 players - Five teams Air Force, AIC, Bentley, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart
            AIC could have 32 players this year, unless someone on the current roster leaves or a recruit changes their mind. We already have had 3 or 4 non-graduating players from last year leave the team or were told they were not a part of the plans for the team. (Though I think we now have 4 goalies...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Blitz View Post

Bentley should have either 29 or 30 this year, depending on whether Mike Berry leaves the team or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
                Briefs on all incoming freshmen, per Bentley's site.

-Dean Balsamo (F, Aston Rebels-NAHL): Was among the top-20 scorers in the NAHL regular season with 50 points (25g, 25a), before helping Aston to the league finals with 8 points in 8 playoff games.
                -Connor Brassard (D, Jersey Hitmen-USPHL): Served as the Jersey Hitmen's captain last season. Led team to 2nd straight USPHL Premier championship. Had 27 points (6g, 21a) in 36 regular season games, and had 34 points (5g, 29a) in 44 regular season games during the 2014-15 season.
                -Jonathan Desbiens (F, West Kelowna Warriors-BCHL): Comes from the same West Kelowna program that produced current Falcon Max French and former captain Alex Grieve, among others. Was the 5th leading scorer in the BCHL regular season with 83 points (44g, 39a) before leading the Warriors to both the league and Canadian titles in the postseason. Named a 2nd team BCHL All-Star for 2015-16.
                -Ryner Gorowsky (F, Fairbanks Ice Dogs-NAHL): Was the 2nd leading scorer in the NAHL regular season with 83 points (28g, 55a). Named to the All-Midwest Division team. Helped Fairbanks to the league title, where they upended his future teammate Balsamo and the Aston Rebels for the Robertson Cup championship.
                -Jake Kauppila (F, Trail Smoke Eaters-BCHL): Scored 16 goals and had 17 assists for 33 points in 52 games last season for the Trail Smoke Eaters. Is the first Bentley player to come from that program. Played in 60 games for the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) during the 2014-15 season and recorded 19 points (9g, 10a).
                -Brett Orr (D, Portage Terries-MJHL): Named the MJHL Top Defenseman for 2015-16. High scoring blueliner who had 13 goals and 29 assists for 42 points in 52 games for Portage in the MJHL regular season. Then had 10 assists during the postseason as he led Portage to its 2nd straight league title. Was teammates with current Falcon defenseman Tanner Jago as Portage won the Manitoba league title in 2014-15.
                -Aidan Pelino (G, Chilliwack Chiefs-BCHL): Two-year starter in goal for Chilliwack. In 2015-16, went 22-11-2 during the regular season, with the BCHL's 4th best goals against average (2.54). Went 13-7 during the postseason as the Chiefs went to the BCHL finals.
                -Matt Riggleman (F, Sioux Falls Stampede-USHL): Played in 54 games last season for Sioux Falls in the USHL, the top junior league in the United States. Recorded 13 points on 7 goals and 6 assists in his only season of junior hockey.
                -Tanner Salsberry (D, Jersey Hitmen-USPHL): Played in 43 regular season games for the Jersey Hitmen last season and registered 28 points (4g, 24a). Notched 4 assists during the team's run to the USPHL title. Also played for Bismarck in the NAHL for the 2014-15 season. Had 32 points (12g, 20a) in 41 games that season.
                I was doing some research, and it turns out that Jake Kauppila was actually committed to Michigan Tech way back in 2012... I guess he never panned out and now we get him! Also, Connor Brassard was drafted into the QMJHL back in 2012 and is an extremely solid defenseman, although a little slow on his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                  Bentley should have either 29 or 30 this year, depending on whether Mike Berry leaves the team or not.
                  I count 17 forwards, 9 blue-liners, and 3 goalies, for 29 total with Berry staying, so I must be missing someone? But, with all the injuries the past few seasons, probably a good thing to have a deep bench.

Comment

I count 17 forwards, 9 blue-liners, and 3 goalies, for 29 total with Berry staying, so I must be missing someone? But, with all the injuries the past few seasons, probably a good thing to have a deep bench.
                    Nope you're correct, I was forgetting Antoni leaving. But yeah, a bigger roster is definitely a good thing. It's also a much deeper, more talented roster as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                      Nope you're correct, I was forgetting Antoni leaving. But yeah, a bigger roster is definitely a good thing. It's also a much deeper, more talented roster as well.
                      I want to see Soder go with his speediest players in the opener at Lake Whitt; UNH is especially vulnerable on the blue line, as they cannot bring the puck out of their own zone for the life of them.

Comment

I want to see Soder go with his speediest players in the opener at Lake Whitt; UNH is especially vulnerable on the blue line, as they cannot bring the puck out of their own zone for the life of them.
                        If this is the case, I think these will be the opening lines:

Desbiens- French-Depourcq
                        McDonald-McMurphy-Schmidt
                        Ahlgren-Callin-Gorowsky
                        Balsamo-Dumonceaux-Deresky

Jago-Buchanan
                        Orr-Chugg
                        Solovyev-Brassard

Comment

• Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                          If this is the case, I think these will be the opening lines:

Desbiens- French-Depourcq
                          McDonald-McMurphy-Schmidt
                          Ahlgren-Callin-Gorowsky
                          Balsamo-Dumonceaux-Deresky

Jago-Buchanan
                          Orr-Chugg
                          Solovyev-Brassard
                          Interesting lines. I would be inclined to keep French and Schmidt together on the first line, as they had some good chemistry last season with Gladiuk.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Interesting lines. I would be inclined to keep French and Schmidt together on the first line, as they had some good chemistry last season with Gladiuk.
                            Very true. I like Depourcq, but is he top line talent at this point? Is Desbiens ready/capable of being thrust on a top line at the D-I level? If the answer to both or either of those questions is no, who joins French on the top line?

I like the idea of giving Desbiens a chance, if there is a gap, I think it would be top line LW talent and I think he has the potential to thrive with a gutsy, all around player like Max French. On the right side? I'm less sure. I'm not all that comfortable putting our other super recruit Ryner Gorowsky on the top line if we're already putting one freshman (Desbeins) there. Perhaps it is Schmidt?

However, speaking to your point Snively, before injuries broke them up last year, McDonald-McMurphy-Schmidt formed an electric line two years ago, back when they were freshmen. I'd like to see if any of that chemistry is still there. I think this also helps create scoring depth across the board, rather than risk being too top heavy, as was often the case last year.

This line-up is deep. And every returning player is going to have to earn their playing time with this incoming class. Looking forward to seeing how the lines pan out this season.
                            Last edited by The Top Shelf; 07-22-2016, 03:24 PM.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

• Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
                              Very true. I like Depourcq, but is he top line talent at this point? Is Desbiens ready/capable of being thrust on a top line at the D-I level? If the answer to both or either of those questions is no, who joins French on the top line?

I like the idea of giving Desbiens a chance, if there is a gap, I think it would be top line LW talent and I think he has the potential to thrive with a gutsy, all around player like Max French. On the right side? I'm less sure. I'm not all that comfortable putting our other super recruit Ryner Gorowsky on the top line if we're already putting one freshman (Desbeins) there. Perhaps it is Schmidt?

However, speaking to your point Snively, before injuries broke them up last year, McDonald-McMurphy-Schmidt formed an electric line two years ago, back when they were freshmen. I'd like to see if any of that chemistry is still there. I think this also helps create scoring depth across the board, rather than risk being too top heavy, as was often the case last year.

This line-up is deep. And every returning player is going to have to earn their playing time with this incoming class. Looking forward to seeing how the lines pan out this season.
                              Those lines were more tailored to speed, like Snively said. But I really like keeping Mac Murph and Schmidt together, even despite French and Schmidt's success last year. I just don't see the two being as dynamic and electric without Gladiuk (part of the reason we lost to RMU in the playoffs last year was due to losing Gladiuk after game 1, which lessened that top lines production by a lot). Which guy to put on that top line with Desbiens and French is definitely a toss up, and probably something Soder will play around with at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Only 72 days before puck drops between Falcons and Cats.

Comment

Working...
                                X