• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...iness-schools/

Another top ranking

Comment

Speaking of rankings, Bentley was also just ranked #5 for highest earning graduates in the Commonwealth of Mass. Ahead of juggernauts like BC, BU, NU and Tufts

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...lleges.html#32

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
        Speaking of rankings, Bentley was also just ranked #5 for highest earning graduates in the Commonwealth of Mass. Ahead of juggernauts like BC, BU, NU and Tufts

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...lleges.html#32
        And, in more drift away from hockey, in the Bloomberg poll cited above, Bentley was ranked #3 in the country for "employer satisfaction with Bentley graduates," or words to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          And, in more drift away from hockey, in the Bloomberg poll cited above, Bentley was ranked #3 in the country for "employer satisfaction with Bentley graduates," or words to that effect.
          Sounds about right!

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
            There was a CHA thread before that league faded into the sunset, and Niagara and RMU had some pretty active contributors. Since they moved into the AHC they have gotten much quieter.

I believe Army and Air Force both have self-hosted sports forums. I'm sure Downstate_RIT_Fan would know for sure as he is pretty much the only one posting anything about Army.

Also Twitter has sucked a lot of the conversation away from forums like this. An AHC thread could be fun. the best way to gauge interest is to start one.....

Sorry, just saw this...

Yup, I think Twitter keeps folks from posting here unless we want to get into more specific details on our schools, ie, leaving Atlantic Hockey for the ECAC, or building a new rink. Those conversations are hard to squeeze into Twitter feeds. As far as following Army hockey, other than subscribing or lurking on their twitter feeds, I don't see much on the internet. Since I live in the area though, and have season tickets, I do run into folks that are part of Army hockey, so I do learn a little about the team in that fashion which allows me to formulate my own opinions on how that team is shaping up. Through the years though following other Atlantic Hockey teams threads on this forum tends to draw you a little closer to those teams. I became a fan of Bentley in part by reading Bentley posts here about your team. So you learn a little something more about your oppositions student-athletes. As fans we've all suffered tough losses in Atlantic Hockey and great wins. Not having other teams fans post about those wins and losses, it's hard to feel good or bad for them. I felt really bad for Bentley (as bad as an RIT fan can) for the three game playoff loss at the Ritter several seasons ago. I have no idea about how the Mercyhurst fans felt about this season, or the Holy Cross fans about being bounced by Army, or the Air Force fans about losing in OT to RIT, or RoMo not winning the Atlantic Hockey Tournament. I guess maybe that's why some of us RIT fans wish RIT was in the ECAC, there are pretty much threads for all of their teams, so you can always have decent (or not so decent) conversations/debates about your teams, games, playoff series, etc.

One thing we can hope for in the upcoming season are more team threads from other Atlantic Hockey team fans, otherwise it's going to be just the Bentley, AIC and RIT fans on this forum again. For us RIT fans, I hope we're talking about maybe heading to the ECAC or adding athletic scholarships, for AIC, a new beginning, and for the Bentley fans I'm looking forward to you guys talking about a new rink and possibly a Hobey candidate in Max French. Max is obviously a talented kid with great potential. I hope everyone has a great summer, I'm already looking forward to next season, on a personal note I'm looking forward to seeing RIT and RPI play against each other next year. I'm also looking forward to seeing the complete schedule whenever that gets released.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
              I'm surprised RMU doesn't have one considering their play these last few years. Maybe this year will bring in some new threads.
              I think some of the fans were going to create and participate in on but due to their play in the AHC play-offs these last few years, they thought better of it!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                I think some of the fans were going to create and participate in on but due to their play in the AHC play-offs these last few years, they thought better of it!
                That thought has never deterred us at Bentley. :-)

Comment

Just a little fun I had with potential lines for next year. This was extremely difficult, but for all the right reasons. This team is DEEP. We'll try and get some stats up here to help others make their own educated guesses. I think I'd be fun to see how everyone else see's this team shaping up.

A couple things about my selections.
                  1) I think the bottom 10 forwards, with the exception of Jake Ahlgren can and will be used interchangeability by Coach Soder. Not being in the top 12 wasn't a knock on anybody, there is literally just too much depth (A good problem to have!)
                  2) This setup puts 2 freshman in our Top 6. We'll obviously have to see if they're capable and ready of filling those roles, but based on their junior performances... my money is on yes.
                  3) This is also reliant on strong bounce back seasons from Andrew McDonald and Ryan McMurphy. Two years ago they were dynamic as Freshmen along with Kyle Schmidt. Injuries sidelined them for the majority of last year, but we saw how Schmidt progressed... I'm counting on similar progress from these two juniors.

What do you think?! I'm interested in seeing what others think!

LW C RW D D
                  Jonathan Desbeins Max French Kyle Schmidt Tanner Jago Chris Buchanan
                  Andrew McDonald Ryan McMurphy Ryner Gorowsky Alexey Solovyev Andy Chugg
                  Jake Ahlgren Drew Callin Tyler Deresky Brett Orr Charlie Donners
                  Will Suter TJ Duonceaux Cody Depourcq Connor Brassard Tanner Salsberry
                  Dino Balsamo Dany Kucerovy Jake Kauppila
                  Matt Sieckhaus
                  Last edited by The Top Shelf; 04-27-2016, 07:05 AM.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

While many posters are very welcoming to new members, if only takes one or two sensitive members pouncing on new members to limit the amount of participation here in the Atlantic forums. I have been lurking here for a couple of years now and a few posters were very welcoming, however only took one RIT fan before I decided that the effort wasn't worth it. Very positive that some like yourself would rather grow the site and increase the participation by welcoming others.

Back to lurking now,
                    Cheers and enjoy everything hockey guys!

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    Sorry, just saw this...

One thing we can hope for in the upcoming season are more team threads from other Atlantic Hockey team fans, otherwise it's going to be just the Bentley, AIC and RIT fans on this forum again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                      While many posters are very welcoming to new members, if only takes one or two sensitive members pouncing on new members to limit the amount of participation here in the Atlantic forums. I have been lurking here for a couple of years now and a few posters were very welcoming, however only took one RIT fan before I decided that the effort wasn't worth it. Very positive that some like yourself would rather grow the site and increase the participation by welcoming others.

Back to lurking now,
                      Cheers and enjoy everything hockey guys!
                      Go crawl back into you're hole. :-P

Just kidding. I think it's easier to flame in a group with more posters than it is in one with only a handful, like Bentley's. Besides, we need to win a conference championship before were allowed to be obnoxious.
                      Last edited by schiegs; 04-27-2016, 11:38 PM.
                      Bentley University Hockey
                      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Any OOC scheduling rumors yet? Any probability of a return to Quinnipiac, Harvard, BU, and/or NU?

Comment

A little bird in the athletic department told me this was a real possibility a few months back, but I didn't want to blab. Now that it's printed....

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/05/0...ef=moreInstate
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            A little bird in the athletic department told me this was a real possibility a few months back, but I didn't want to blab. Now that it's printed....

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/05/0...ef=moreInstate
                            Well, you have poked a hornet's nest with the other thread you started; nice going, schiegs. :-)

Apparently, Quinnipiac is not interested in moving from EZAC to HEA. So, if either Holy Cross or Bentley apply to join HEA, perhaps one or the other might be considered to return HEA to an even 12 teams? Apparently HEA does not do invites. For Bentley to be a serious consideration, their BOT needs to approve later this month the building of a rink on campus. Rumors of renovations at Hart, but no beta on whether they would want to join HEA. Bentley has played well in OOC games against HEA schools, which has garnered us some respect, despite our mediocre showings of late in AHC. Will be an interesting next 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
                              I wanted to take an open poll of anyone reading this thread... We're going to be seniors this year. We've done a lot of good work and made a lot of progress in terms of the rink, school spirit and bentley hockey awareness in general... But it's not enough. Senior year is going to be about three things for us. Finding a job. Having the best year of our lives. And absolutely throwing ourselves into everything Bentley Hockey related. We are going to be working with Coach Soder to revitalize and maintain an active official Bentley hockey Twitter account. It's something that every other major legitimate division one program has, and frankly, the fact that we don't have one looks unprofessional and reflects poorly on the program. We also will have plenty of meetings with Dean Shepherdson, Coach Soderquist, the Athletics marketing team, AD DeFelice and hopefully president Larson. So, I want to pick the minds of anyone even remotely interested in Bentley hockey; besides the rink, (which will be our absolute priority) school spirit, the Twitter account and play on the ice (which we can't control)... What can Bentley do to improve its program? Whether that be it's standing in Atlanta Hockey, it's standing in college hockey, or just standing on campus. We, in three years have earned a legitimate voice, and a seat at the table in these discussions. And I'll be ****ed if we don't do absolutely everything we can and more our senior year. So… I ask, what can we do?

EDIT: I don't just mean what can we as students do… But also what would help improve the program in general? Getting feedback here will be valuable information that we can relay to those above us with the means to enact change.
                              Not a Bentley fan, but as a Boston-area college hockey fan I tried to go to the Bentley-Northeastern game at the JAR last year with a friend just to check it out. I found, however, that there was no info about how to get tickets on the school website or the athletic website. There was no contact information for tickets or a box office or anything like that. I finally messaged the school's official athletics page on Facebook, and when I got a response (weeks later) I was told that the game was sold out. I learned from the good people here that you usually just go up to the door and get tickets for $7 on game nights (which I later did for the RPI game) but obviously there was some sort of advanced sale for the NU game. My friend and I who wanted to go to the NU game were disappointed, but my point is that there's no information on the school's websites (at least none that I could find) about how you get Bentley hockey tickets. Even if there was just a little box somewhere on the page that said "Tickets are available at the door for such-and-such an amount," that would be fine. But the fact that visiting fans need to either know someone who goes to Bentley or go on message boards like this to find info about how to actually go to a game seems pretty unprofessional. So my two cents, for what its worth, is to update the athletics website with some useful game day info, get the Twitter up and running again, and just overall do a little bit more to generate interest in the community in the form of some sort of advertising. In the game I went to, the fans were great and the hockey was great. You just have to do a better job of letting people know.
                              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                                Not a Bentley fan, but as a Boston-area college hockey fan I tried to go to the Bentley-Northeastern game at the JAR last year with a friend just to check it out. I found, however, that there was no info about how to get tickets on the school website or the athletic website. There was no contact information for tickets or a box office or anything like that. I finally messaged the school's official athletics page on Facebook, and when I got a response (weeks later) I was told that the game was sold out. I learned from the good people here that you usually just go up to the door and get tickets for $7 on game nights (which I later did for the RPI game) but obviously there was some sort of advanced sale for the NU game. My friend and I who wanted to go to the NU game were disappointed, but my point is that there's no information on the school's websites (at least none that I could find) about how you get Bentley hockey tickets. Even if there was just a little box somewhere on the page that said "Tickets are available at the door for such-and-such an amount," that would be fine. But the fact that visiting fans need to either know someone who goes to Bentley or go on message boards like this to find info about how to actually go to a game seems pretty unprofessional. So my two cents, for what its worth, is to update the athletics website with some useful game day info, get the Twitter up and running again, and just overall do a little bit more to generate interest in the community in the form of some sort of advertising. In the game I went to, the fans were great and the hockey was great. You just have to do a better job of letting people know.
                                Excellent point, Buckeye. In fact, Bentley's entire website is strong on glitz, but weak on factual information, which has been a problem for years. The website managers have never taken any advice or requests from the Bentley community, from my experience. :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X