Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Would be good to get another crack at Harvard, especially now that Vessey is gone. I do not think that Bentley has beaten the Q since they joined the ECAC, and we maybe beat them only once during their AHC days. I do not think that the three OOC games at the JAR were a fluke this past season, as HEA teams need to balance their home/away schedules.

I know Quinnipiac's coach has a soft spot for Bentley dating back to their AHC days. That was a traditional opening game for the Falcons for several of the last few years. Perhaps after 4 or 5 trips to CT, the Bobcats visit the JAR? I think the Harvard game is a win-win for both teams. It was becoming a tradition at Bentley, regularly drawing 500-1000 Bentley fans. Harvard gets the ticket sales (and up to this point, a win) and Bentley gets a highly marketed game to get the fans out in droves. Going off the home/away balance logic... perhaps your other school UNH repays Bentley with a visit to theJAR! Aside from the aforementioned... being from the Albany area, I'd love to see Bentley take on Union.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
      I know Quinnipiac's coach has a soft spot for Bentley dating back to their AHC days. That was a traditional opening game for the Falcons for several of the last few years. Perhaps after 4 or 5 trips to CT, the Bobcats visit the JAR? I think the Harvard game is a win-win for both teams. It was becoming a tradition at Bentley, regularly drawing 500-1000 Bentley fans. Harvard gets the ticket sales (and up to this point, a win) and Bentley gets a highly marketed game to get the fans out in droves. Going off the home/away balance logic... perhaps your other school UNH repays Bentley with a visit to theJAR! Aside from the aforementioned... being from the Albany area, I'd love to see Bentley take on Union.
      Yes, that makes sense for UNH to visit the JAR, as it is only a 75-minute drive from Durham. But, I doubt that Harvard will make the much shorter drive to River Street in Watertown. Taxi?

A few years ago, I drove out to Troy for an early-season tournament hosted by RPI in which Bentley was paired up against the Engineers and the Dutchmen playing LSSU the first night, with the losers Bentley and LSSU playing in the consolation game the next night. I stayed with friend who teaches at Union, who of course was rewarded a few years later when his team went all the way to a NC.

Back to earlier posts about recent Bentley recruiting, here are breakdowns of last year's team: 6 USHL, 6 BCHL, 8 NAHL, 3 AJHL, 1 EJHL, 1 MJHL, 1 USPHL, 1 Mass Prep. Also, for hometowns: 9 Canada, 3 Minnesota, 3 Massachusetts, 2 Pennsylvania, 2 Wisconsin, 1 each New Jersey, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, California, and Russia.
      Last edited by Snively65; 04-18-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, that makes sense for UNH to visit the JAR, as it is only a 75-minute drive from Durham. But, I doubt that Harvard will make the much shorter drive to River Street in Watertown. Taxi?

A few years ago, I drove out to Troy for an early-season tournament hosted by RPI in which Bentley was paired up against the Engineers and the Dutchmen playing LSSU the first night, with the losers Bentley and LSSU playing in the consolation game the next night. I stayed with friend who teaches at Union, who of course was rewarded a few years later when his team went all the way to a NC.

Back to earlier posts about recent Bentley recruiting, here are breakdowns of last year's team: 6 USHL, 6 BCHL, 8 NAHL, 3 AJHL, 1 EJHL, 1 MJHL, 1 USPHL, 1 Mass Prep. Also, for hometowns: 9 Canada, 3 Minnesota, 3 Massachusetts, 2 Pennsylvania, 2 Wisconsin, 1 each New Jersey, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, California, and Russia.
        That BCHL number is going to blow up in the next couple of years. Nobody from the USHL this year so far, except a few guys who have a little bit of USHL experience.

Barring any surprising departures from the current team, it would seem like the 2016-2017 recruiting is done. We have 8 guys coming in to replace 7 seniors and Mike Berry (who we believe is leaving the team to graduate early to pursue a finance career). 1 G to replace 1 G (Antoni->Aidan Pelino), 3D to replace 3D (Berry, Blomquist, Eiserman->Brett Orr, Tanner Salsberry, Connor Brassard), 4F to replace 4F (Gladiuk, Bacon, Reardon, Krause->Jonathan Desbiens, Ryner Gorowsky, Dean "Dino" Balsamo, Jacob Kauppila). One hell of an incoming class if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
          That BCHL number is going to blow up in the next couple of years. Nobody from the USHL this year so far, except a few guys who have a little bit of USHL experience.

Barring any surprising departures from the current team, it would seem like the 2016-2017 recruiting is done. We have 8 guys coming in to replace 7 seniors and Mike Berry (who we believe is leaving the team to graduate early to pursue a finance career). 1 G to replace 1 G (Antoni->Aidan Pelino), 3D to replace 3D (Berry, Blomquist, Eiserman->Brett Orr, Tanner Salsberry, Connor Brassard), 4F to replace 4F (Gladiuk, Bacon, Reardon, Krause->Jonathan Desbiens, Ryner Gorowsky, Dean "Dino" Balsamo, Jacob Kauppila). One hell of an incoming class if you ask me!
          Would be great if these incoming freshmen could play three years in a new rink on campus, eh?

Comment

On a non-hockey related note...

Bloomberg just moved Bentley up to #10 ranked undergraduate business program, edging out Cornell and Wharton.
            Bentley University Hockey
            On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Would be great if these incoming freshmen could play three years in a new rink on campus, eh?
              That is something I genuinely believe to be a possibility. We have the blueprints, we have the student support, we even have enough administrative support... There are only a few more hurdles to jump. It's really just fun to speculate what a state of the art arena would do for this program. Our recruiting, which is already among the best in Atlantic Hockey, would only get better... and the possibilities are endless from there!

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Out of curiosity, is there an AHA thread? I know we have our pick 'em thread, but it'd be nice to have a place to go to to talk specifics about the AHA

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Out of curiosity, is there an AHA thread? I know we have our pick 'em thread, but it'd be nice to have a place to go to to talk specifics about the AHA
                  Not in the past few years; sometimes there is chatter on the Pick 'Em thread, and we freely post on one another's team thread, but only three AHC teams participate here, I think: AIC, Bentley, and RIT.

Comment

Not in the past few years; sometimes there is chatter on the Pick 'Em thread, and we freely post on one another's team thread, but only three AHC teams participate here, I think: AIC, Bentley, and RIT.
                    There was also a Mercyhurst thread 2 years ago but only one guy that was a fan of the Lakers if I recall.

Comment

I'm surprised RMU doesn't have one considering their play these last few years. Maybe this year will bring in some new threads.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                        I'm surprised RMU doesn't have one considering their play these last few years. Maybe this year will bring in some new threads.
                        There was a CHA thread before that league faded into the sunset, and Niagara and RMU had some pretty active contributors. Since they moved into the AHC they have gotten much quieter.

I believe Army and Air Force both have self-hosted sports forums. I'm sure Downstate_RIT_Fan would know for sure as he is pretty much the only one posting anything about Army.

Also Twitter has sucked a lot of the conversation away from forums like this. An AHC thread could be fun. the best way to gauge interest is to start one.....
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

If I recall, HC has their own separate thread/message board on a different HC affiliated website.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                            An AHC thread could be fun. the best way to gauge interest is to start one.....
                            Can't tell if that was an offer... or a request?

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

If I recall, HC has their own separate thread/message board on a different HC affiliated website.
                              Yes, I think that I have heard that about HC somewhere.

Comment

I wanted to take an open poll of anyone reading this thread... We're going to be seniors this year. We've done a lot of good work and made a lot of progress in terms of the rink, school spirit and bentley hockey awareness in general... But it's not enough. Senior year is going to be about three things for us. Finding a job. Having the best year of our lives. And absolutely throwing ourselves into everything Bentley Hockey related. We are going to be working with Coach Soder to revitalize and maintain an active official Bentley hockey Twitter account. It's something that every other major legitimate division one program has, and frankly, the fact that we don't have one looks unprofessional and reflects poorly on the program. We also will have plenty of meetings with Dean Shepherdson, Coach Soderquist, the Athletics marketing team, AD DeFelice and hopefully president Larson. So, I want to pick the minds of anyone even remotely interested in Bentley hockey; besides the rink, (which will be our absolute priority) school spirit, the Twitter account and play on the ice (which we can't control)... What can Bentley do to improve its program? Whether that be it's standing in Atlanta Hockey, it's standing in college hockey, or just standing on campus. We, in three years have earned a legitimate voice, and a seat at the table in these discussions. And I'll be ****ed if we don't do absolutely everything we can and more our senior year. So… I ask, what can we do?

EDIT: I don't just mean what can we as students do… But also what would help improve the program in general? Getting feedback here will be valuable information that we can relay to those above us with the means to enact change.
                                Last edited by The Top Shelf; 04-21-2016, 05:27 AM.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Working...
                                X